Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Melissa Elizabeth Lucio - Texas Death Row

Gov. Abbott comments on Melissa Lucio's scheduled execution during Valley visit

With the scheduled April 27 execution date still looming over Melissa Lucio, Channel 5 News posed the question to Texas Gov. Greg Abbott during his visit to Cameron County Wednesday if he plans to put a stop to it.

“It is my understanding that the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles has not provided a decision to me yet,” Abbott said. “With that being the case, as the law requires, the governor must await for a decision from the Board of Pardons and Paroles.”

Channel 5 News then followed up with the governor, asking if he would approve it in the event he receives a decision from the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles.

“I’ll make a decision once it comes to me,” he replied.

Abbott’s response comes after Lucio’s attorneys filed for clemency in hopes to spare her life on March 22.

Lucio, now 53, was charged for the murder of her 2-year-old daughter Mariah in 2007 and later convicted following a 2008 jury trial.

Lucio has maintained her innocence.

Her attorneys have argued that new evidence shows Mariah died from medical complications after a fall — not from physical abuse.

“She was especially vulnerable to the coercive interrogation tactics due to her history of abuse and trauma,” attorney Vanessa Potkin said. “Abnormally high levels of suggestibility and compliance, which has been demonstrated through recent testing."

Channel 5 News has contacted the Texas Board of Pardons and Parole for comment.

(source: KRGV news)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

So is the TCCA going to stay this execution? I mean they’ve stayed virtually every execution Texas has had since 2015. The TCCA is essentially grinding the death penalty in Texas to extinction and the Texas house is ready to join the TCCA and drive it to extinction. We’ve reached a point in Texas where getting 10 executions for the year is now a thing of the past. Abbott is a political weakling on the issue he just panders for police support when he tweets the DP for cop killers.
    Last edited by Neil; 04-02-2022 at 10:50 PM.

MOTION FOR LEAVE TO FILE APPLICATION FOR WRIT OF MANDAMUS HELD IN ABEYANCE AND RESPONDENT IS ORDERED TO FILE ANSWER:

https://search.txcourts.gov/handdown...ate=04/04/2022
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Junior Member Stranger
    Quote Originally Posted by medsarpent View Post
    it hasn't got to with her gender. it looks like she has been beating her daughter for an time period. she finally lost her control and killed her unintentionally. yes it's still horrible and deserve extreme penalty but i don't think she seriously intented to kill her daughter. it's not a case like Darlie Routier who viciously stabbed her two little boys and then tried hard to cover up. i don't think this is a premeditated murder.
    I have to say that I am, for the first time, not sure whether a condemned inmate should be executed. I've followed the Darlie Routier case from about the time the first books came out. I believe that she killed her sons and deserves to be removed from the planet. However, there are many details of this woman's case that I don't know or understand completely. I read things pro and con, which is normal for DP cases, but it is not clear to me that she intentionally killed her daughter. Spouses and boyfriends often get off with 20 year sentences for heinous and brutal "crimes of passion". This woman is a sad case and a product of her upbringing. 14 children she can't possible take care of and this is what you get in the end. I'd be willing to let her live, I don't know about granting clemency or pardon.
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder is just the clinical term used to describe an individual who is nothing more than an asshole.

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    You don't find BITE MARKS on that poor kid's body brutal and heinous enough? Really?

Melissa Lucio's execution may be halted by South Texas district attorney

A Texas woman set for execution at the end of this month may get a temporary reprieve.

Tuesday, the Texas House Criminal Justice Reform Interim Committee held a hearing in Austin. Leach is the chair, and two other North Texas House members are on the committee.

During the hearing, a juror from the Lucio case joined four others saying they regret her sentencing.

A statement form Jonny Galvan said, "Now just days away from her planned execution, I feel deep regret."

The Texas Attorney General’s Office maintains the evidence showed a brutal case of child abuse.

Lucio’s conviction was upheld by all Texas courts. The U.S. Supreme court refused to hear the case. The most important testimony came from the district attorney for Cameron County in Far South Texas.

Saenz submitted the warrant for execution, and lawmakers say he has the power to withdraw it and pause the execution.

"What harm does it do to push the pause button?" Leach asked. "What harm could it possibly do a single Texan to push the pause button when the grave harm and irreversible harm that would do to not only Melissa, but our entire system if we find out she was innocent."

"With all due respect, that's where you are wrong because this case is still being litigated," Saenz said. "We could still get the decision you are waiting for. But for me to unilaterally pull the plug on it, then what do I say to the other 195 poor souls on death row right now."

After nearly two hours of back and forth, Saenz told lawmakers he believes Lucio will not be executed on the 27th, saying there are a lot of things happening in court right now.

Saenz promised if a court does not step in, he would temporarily withdraw his warrant to execute.

"If defendant Lucio does not get a stay before April 27, I will do what I need to do and stop it. I am owning it," he said.

Gov. Greg Abbott also has the ability to delay the execution for 30 days. He also can outright pardon Lucio. Some lawmakers are asking for a new trial.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...t-attorney.amp

So a bunch of the peanut gallery get their JD from Hulu University and are convinced a clearly guilty killer is innocent, and the DA caves. Sad.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

This is to be expected. This is Cameron county. This is the same county that took 3 years to schedule Ruben Guitterez’s execution after his final appeal was turned down. Even after his first stay all the subsequent stays before the chaplain issue arose were intentional paperwork errors.

They intentionally didn’t give him a 90 day execution notice. The prosecutors in this county just pretend to want people executed but in reality they don’t want executions to go through.

The only DA left standing in Texas is the Tarrant one. The Tarrant DA is very unlucky and always gets shot down by the courts. All the other DAs just pick and choose executions. This state isn’t the death penalty state like it was in the 2000s.
    Last edited by Neil; 04-13-2022 at 08:33 AM.

Again, this show of sentencing these people to death then waiting until a couple weeks before the execution to care act is getting really old.

Belarusian tactic of just shooting these creatures without warning after appeals are exhausted is the way to go. No drama, no camera time for anybody. Sadly, this system is far to broken for any efficiency anymore.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Doctors at the hospital thay took the child to said it was the worst case of abuse they had ever seen. Old broken bones, cuts and bruises all over that poor little child.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information