Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: John William King - Texas Execution - April 24, 2019

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    I’m also 99% sure he copied his written final statement from John Spenkelink, who was executed in Florida in May 1979. That particular adage was much more applicable to Spenkelink’s case, as he was a drifter who killed another drifter who allegedly sexually assaulted him, and not a documented white supremacist who murdered someone in a brutal hate crime after having a relatively comfortable upbringing.
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar
    Still won’t stop abolitionists from fawning over the “wisdom” of this formerly sentient piece of excrement.

As for Spenkelink, he did make a valid point, but I’d assume it’s common knowledge at this point. The wealthy don’t face the same punishments as everyone else and that’s a problem that hasn’t really gotten better.
    "The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." -Theodore Roosevelt

Member Member
    There are wealthy people who’ve gotten the DP, tho. It’s rare but it happens, especially if the case is high-profile. Thomas Whitaker was one of them. John Battaglia may have also been able to afford a private attorney, but not sure. And Nikolas Cruz’s public defender just withdrew from his case bc Nikolas is set to inherent 6 figures, which means he’ll be able to afford an attorney and I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t end up getting the DP (but he doesn’t count as an example because we won’t know until we know). But I can’t think of anyone else. So yes, it happens but it’s very rare. But then again, I’d say most Americans, in general, are not wealthy enough to afford an attorney to represent them when accused of murder. Some Americans have the money to afford an attorney for smaller crimes. Me, for example - I once fought a reckless driving charge. I could afford an attorney for that, bc that was like $2000. But no way in hell I could afford the cost of an attorney for a charge as serious as murder, I imagine that would cost 100x that or maybe even 1000x.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    I’m also 99% sure he copied his written final statement from John Spenkelink, who was executed in Florida in May 1979. That particular adage was much more applicable to Spenkelink’s case, as he was a drifter who killed another drifter who allegedly sexually assaulted him, and not a documented white supremacist who murdered someone in a brutal hate crime after having a relatively comfortable upbringing.
    He did, he copied it

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information