Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: John William King - Texas Execution - April 24, 2019

I could've sworn I saw his name on their site at some point.

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    No no, there wasn't. Anyway, curious things are happening. Gustavo Tijerina-Sandoval still hasn't been processed into the Texas Death Row system months after the sentence, and I don't know if it is a mere problem of updating or there is something else.

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar
    Mastro’s right. I’ve been checking their schedule quite frequently, King was never added. I hope Jasper County didn’t screw up delivering the warrant or something.
    "The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." -Theodore Roosevelt

Way back when, in a land a long long time ago, there was a gal named Michelle Lyons who ran the TDCJ website. This mythical creature made sure all aspects of the site were up to date....execution dates were posted before the media got wind of it. This lady was reachable by something of the past called email and a LAND LINE! Those days are over...TDCJ website is shit ..it is never updated...
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

I don't post BULLSHIT. Feel free to call the Jasper County District Court for confirmation of the scheduled execution date. (409) 384-5474
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

John King has been updated today.

https://www.tdcj.texas.gov/death_row...xecutions.html
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar
    Good to hear. And Heidi, I didn’t doubt that they gave him a date, I was just a little worried they made some dumb procedural error, like the one that got Garcia pushed back last year.
    "The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." -Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Member Frequent Poster joe_con's Avatar
    I miss my land line phone, never had a bad connection on it.

When John King was signed off on a death warrant, King is automatically removed from his enclosed cell and taken to the Death Watch section. The DW section is small area on death row where inmates scheduled for execution are housed. Their cells are still occupied by themselves unless they have their execution dates withdrawn, stayed by the courts or executed in Huntsville. For an inside look of Billy Tracy's blog of daily life on Texas' death row!
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

​Editorial:

20 years later, justice for the lynching of James Byrd Jr. might finally be complete

By Joyce King
    Dallas News

John William King did not wear a white sheet or a pointed hood in court. When his February 1999 trial began, his plain street clothes covered prison tattoos defense attorneys did not want the jury to see, including one of a black man hanging from a tree inside King's arm.

It was one of 1,000 details I did not ever wish to know about a 24-year-old white man being described as either "the boy next door" or the alleged "mastermind" behind the horrific murder of James Byrd Jr., who was dragged by a pick-up. Others used one word to sum up King and the crime: evil.

Twenty years ago this month, King became the first white man in Texas sentenced to die for killing a black man in more than 100 years, and finally an execution date has been set. The earlier case was hardly comparable, given the victim was a favorite slave. The victim's Tyler County owner was livid after a white farmer, James Wilson, murdered his property; Wilson was executed in 1854.

While many believed King might be executed first and make more legal history, his fellow defendant, Lawrence Russell Brewer, was executed in 2011. Brewer was sentenced a few months after King. A third person involved in the lynching, Shawn Allen Berry, got life in prison.

Even now, I wonder if most people fully comprehend the magnitude of how extraordinary and rare the level of justice in Jasper was. Or that a lynching could still happen in Texas. All three culprits were found guilty of capital murder for a racially motivated crime in a Southern state. That is almost unheard of in American legal history.

In January, the Dallas news director who assigned me to the so-called Texas Trial of the Century of this case asked how I felt about King's scheduled April execution date. I was stunned. I had not heard that a judge signed the order, making it official. To stop it would require a reprieve from a higher court or Gov. Greg Abbott.

During his two decades on death row, King vigorously fought the decision, maintaining his innocence despite irrefutably damning evidence. Now, King's appeals have been exhausted and his life-death circle is being drawn as these words are being written.

Pondering how jurors, Byrd family members and prosecutors struggled with three death penalty trials, I have seen greater interest over the last few years because of a surge in hate crimes and a new generation hoping for answers. Like the female student who recently said to me, as a tear rushed down her face, "I was born the same month and year he was dragged. Why don't they teach us this?"

Like countless others, I have never accepted that some people simply do not want to talk about or lecture on the myriad lessons from Jasper. Since I became the black woman who wrote the book about the Jasper dragging, it is disappointing when I'm invited to shut up about something that deserves more debate. Not discussing Jasper will never change what happened on Huff Creek Road. Not confronting homegrown terrorism is to downplay its existence.

Thanks to a lifetime of being targeted, ticketed, threatened and taken to jail on one occasion driving through those Piney Woods, I was in no hurry to spend my nights in a little town where a horrific crime had been perpetrated against someone black like me. But I went.

Twenty years later, the strained faces of my media colleagues remain freshly in my mind as we milled about the Jasper County Courthouse lawn in a daze at what we were covering. We were driven by our intense quest to make world citizens grasp the humanity of a black man, the real Jasper. We did our best to be respectful of the Byrd parents and sisters who showed tremendous dignity and courage. It inspired nearly every reporter assigned to cover this unthinkable tragedy, a story unlike any other in our careers.

In February 1999, I sought counsel for my depression and rage. Working on the story provided an outlet for my sadness, a way to honor the important history being made and to give America the best reporting I could muster. Today, I know one thing for sure: John William King will not be wearing a white sheet or a pointed hood when the state of Texas carries out his execution.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...ly-be-complete
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information