Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: John William King - Texas Execution - April 24, 2019

Final Execution Set in James Byrd Jr.'s 1998 Murder Case

On a spring night 21 years ago, James Byrd Jr. was looking for a ride back to his Jasper, Texas, home. The men who offered it to him viciously murdered Byrd in a crime that shocked the nation.

Byrd's sister, Louvon Harris, says those 24 hours threw the family into a state of disbelief.

"That's a moment where you say to yourself, is this really happening? Because we just left him the day before at my niece's bridal shower. And as a family, we're a normal family. And the only problem he had that day was, 'Am I gonna be the only male at that bridal shower? And he laughed about it," Harris told InsideEdition.com.

The next day, on June 7, 1998, three white supremacists severely beat Byrd — even defecated on him — before they chained his ankles to the back of a pickup truck and dragged him for 3 miles.

A pathologist testified Byrd was alive for much of it. He died about halfway through, after being decapitated and having his right arm ripped off.

"You deal with pain, shock, and we were numb and we became very angry. Who gave them the right to say my brother's not worth living because he was born black? Something he had no control over? And they said you don't deserve to live because of that,” Harris said.

Billy Rowles was head of the Jasper County Sheriff's Office at the time and saw the horrific crime scene.

"It made me sick to my stomach. For what it's worth. It's the remains of a human being who had been dismembered. Very sickening," he told InsideEdition.com.

Rowles said a witness told authorities he saw a dark colored pickup truck with loud mufflers barreling down the street. He said he spotted three white men inside and Byrd in the back.

"And when he got up on the porch, he heard a pickup truck with very loud mufflers coming toward his house. And he looked out there and when the truck went by in front of it."

They dumped Byrd’s body in front of an African-American cemetery.

Word got around town and Rowles said witnesses led them straight to Shawn Allen Berry, Lawrence Russell Brewer and John William King. They were all tried and convicted of Byrd's brutal murder.

Back then, Byrd's son, Ross, spoke up against the death penalty and expressed that the punishment for murder should not be more murder. Brewer was sentenced to the death penalty.

Harris went to Brewer's execution in 2011 and said the man showed no remorse.

"I never been to an execution before, I never thought I'd be in this situation before. Of course I never thought I'd be a victim family of a hate crime either. It was pretty eerie because, to watch someone die. But it was also an eye opener to see how far hate will go. Will you take it to the grave?"

Berry received a life sentence. After numerous appeals, King was also sentenced to death by lethal injection. It is scheduled for April 24.

"I'm gonna be there. Yea. I'm not gonna watch it, I've seen too many people die in my life. But I am gonna be sitting outside on the grounds when it happens," said Rowles, now the Newton County sheriff.

Harris will be there too. "It won't bring James back, but justice was served. In history you find out very seldom two white men put to death for killing a black man. And so you have history there."

Byrd's family marked the 20th anniversary of his death last year.

Rowles said the loss, paired with Matthew Shepard’s grizzly murder in Wyoming four months later simply because he was gay, helped change the course of history.

"Everybody now knows what a hate crime is. Back then when this happened, it was a racially motivated murder. A civil rights violation.The man was murdered because of his race. The phrase, hate crime came out of this a few weeks after this, we had the Matthew Shepard case up in Laramie, Wyoming," Rowles said.

Rowles feels like the incident tarnished the image of the small Texas town — a wound still trying to heal.

Yet through pure heartache, Byrd's family found a ray of light: starting The Byrd Foundation for Racial Healing.

The foundation's goal is to encourage racial unity through education and reduce the number of racially motivated crimes. For the case that has haunted Rowles, the town and the nation for decades, closure can't come fast enough.

"I'll be glad when it's over. That would be the final act of this case. Would be when John William King is laid to rest, it's over," Rowles said.

James Byrd's memory and legacy continue to will live on.

"James was a fun loving person. He loved people. He loved music. He could pick up an instrument and just play it right there and not thinking about it. And he also teased the family, ‘I'ma put Jasper on the map, I'ma put Jasper on the map!’ And everything. And I keep hearing those words in my mind. We thought it would be through his music and through his playing. Never in my wildest dreams did we think it would be because of his death," Harris said.

https://www.insideedition.com/final-...der-case-51000
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Senior Member CnCP Addict TrudieG's Avatar
    Let's hope this one goes on schedule it's been almost 8 years since his buddy got the needle time for this one to go join him. I just hope this brings a measure of peace to the Byrd family though total justice wont be done until their buddy leaves his cell toes up with a tag.

King is almost a dead man walking.

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

I will be amazed but not surprised, if this doesn't get stayed due to insufficient counsel. They were horrible defending King. But since this is a highly politically case he will probably get rammed through by the judiciary because they got to show the voters that they are "tough" on hate crime.
    Last edited by Mike; 04-22-2019 at 10:28 AM.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited:

**Warning Extremely Graphic**

The Lynching of James Byrd Jr.: 2 Decades Ago This Racist Murder Shocked America. Now His Killer Faces Execution

For the past 2 decades, John William King has sat on death row in Texas, waiting to die for his part in an atrocious hate crime that shocked America. Now, finally, it is his time. This is the story of his victim.

James Byrd Jr., 49, left a party in his hometown of Jasper, Texas, at around 2 a.m. on June 7, 1998, and began walking home down a dark rural road.

Along the way, 3 young men passing by in a gray pick-up, one of whom Byrd Jr. recognized from around town, and let him hitch a ride in the back.

Byrd Jr., a father of 3, didn’t make it home.

The trio were white supremacists. The ringleader King, 23, with his friends Shawn Berry, 23, and Lawrence Russell Brewer, 31, drove Byrd Jr. up a dirt logging road. They beat him and chained him to the back of the truck by his ankles.

For a mile and a half, they dragged Byrd Jr. along Huff Creek Road.

He held his head up to protect it, rolling his body from side to side to cope with the pain as the friction wore his skin and flesh down to the bone, his ribs breaking on the bumps.

Suddenly, Byrd Jr. hit an exposed culvert, tearing his right arm, neck, and head from his body.

Byrd Jr.’s chained remains were hauled further down the road and dumped in front of a black church, left to be discovered on Sunday morning.

Police traced the rest of Byrd Jr.’s body back up the road and the dirt track.

They began an investigation into a sadistic lynching that would change the law in America.

‘There was no other verdict’

The 3 trials of the accused in the Byrd Jr. lynching were straightforward because the case against them was compelling.

They were known hardcore racists. They were seen on the night driving with Byrd Jr. in the back of the pick-up by his friend who, fatefully, couldn’t give him a ride home from the party. And they clumsily left a trail of forensic and circumstantial evidence behind them.

“I had a lot of confidence in the DA system and the criminal justice system at that time,” Clara Taylor, Byrd Jr.’s sister, who sat in on all 3 trials, tells Newsweek.

“I think because of the time we lived in, some were saying they’d never get a conviction of a white man for killing a black. Well, I knew by listening to the evidence and with everything going on there was no other verdict for them to come [to].”

During King’s trial, the jury was shown the racist tattoos all over his body, including one of a hanged black man.

The court heard how King, who fetishized the KKK, would proudly show off his tattoos and say: “See my little n***** hanging from a tree.”

“King was the leader of a Klan group called ‘Confederate Knights of America—Texas Rebel Soldier Division’,” Guy James Gray, the former Jasper County district attorney who prosecuted King, tells Newsweek.

“His particular group was formed in the Beto I unit of the Texas prison system. He was a prolific writer with impressive skill for a high school drop-out.”

Dr. Tommy Brown, a forensic pathologist who carried out the victim’s autopsy, testified in harrowing detail about the extent of Byrd Jr.'s injuries.

As Brown’s description shows, the term “dragging” neutralizes the depravity of what murder by this method really means for the victim.

Almost all of Byrd Jr.’s front ribs were broken. Most of his body was covered in what Brown described as "massive brush burn abrasions."

His testicles were missing and Brown found gravel in the scrotal sac. The knees, feet and buttocks were worn down. So was the flesh on the left cheek, exposing the jawbone.

Toes were missing. Muscle was exposed on the legs.

But there were no injuries to Byrd Jr.’s brain and skull. Brown concluded that Byrd Jr. was conscious and holding up his head until the culvert killed him.

Moreover, the formation of some of Byrd Jr.’s wounds left Brown to conclude that he was moving deliberately during the dragging to relieve the pain.

“I think I can probably remember all the details of evidence, of trials, of juries. Everything about it. It's just about as raw today as it was 20 years ago to me,” Gray says. “It was tremendously emotional.”

King was the 1st to be convicted of capital murder and sentenced. On February 25, 1999, a little over 20 years ago, King received the death penalty.

“I thought it was truly amazing that in this state that they were able to find a guilty verdict because there was no sign of remorse in him whatsoever,” Taylor tells Newsweek.

In September that year, Brewer also received the death penalty. He was executed by lethal injection on September 21, 2011.

“This had never happened before,” Gray says. “Never in the history of the state of Texas had a white man been given the death sentence for the murder of a black man. The old heads around said it couldn't be done.”

Berry was spared the death penalty but sentenced to life imprisonment for his part in the murder at the culmination of his trial in November 1999.

Legacy

To bring about good from evil, and to secure a legacy for James Byrd Jr. that is more than the story of his murder, the family set up The Byrd Foundation for Racial Healing.

Its motto: Stop the hate, educate.

Through training workshops, school visits, community programs and keeping James Byrd Jr.’s memory alive, the foundation hopes to combat the racism that leads to tragedies like their own.

The foundation’s work to fight hate and raise awareness of what happened to Byrd Jr. helped bring about a major change in the law.

In 2009, President Barack Obama signed the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act, which reformed, strengthened and broadened federal hate crime laws.

Matthew Shepard, a gay 21-year-old student, was beaten and tortured to death in Laramie, Wyoming, because of his sexuality in October of the same year as Byrd Jr.’s lynching.

Louvon Byrd Harris still runs the foundation.

“When this crime happened to James the hate crime laws were very weak. No one would or could ever get convicted of a hate crime using the current law that we had at the time,” Byrd Harris tells Newsweek.

“But now with this new hate crime law I do feel a little safer simply because the criminals have to think long and hard about the crime they are about to commit because if caught he or she will pay dearly perhaps with their own life.

“I feel if we had such a law in 1998 perhaps James would still be alive.”

She warned that America is today “dealing with a new generation of people who were not born during the time of James and also with people who still feel that they are above the law no matter what,” and blamed a lack of education.

“The Byrd Foundation provides the tools that are necessary to educate and change the mindset of what that individual [has] been taught about people that are different than them,” Byrd Harris says.

“People often hate because of fear and they fear because they do not know each other, and they do not know each other because they do not communicate, and they do not communicate because they are separated.

“The foundation is determined to break down the barriers that separate us as a people.”

Taylor, who described what happened to her brother as “a modern-day lynching,” is likewise focused on a brighter future.

“He did not deserve to have this happen to him. But [at] the cost of his death, his legacy should be one of the good things that happens as a result of it,” Taylor says.

2 decades on death row

Berry is still in prison serving out his time for killing Byrd Jr.

And King is still alive on death row, two decades after receiving his sentence, the execution delayed by appeals. He is scheduled to be executed on Wednesday.

He is 44 now and, according to prison mugshots, looks it; heavier, his eyes sunken and dark, but as hollow as ever.

“His execution is long overdue,” Gray, tells Newsweek. “I'm not a big fan of the death penalty. I never have been. But there are cases from time to time when it just feels like it's the only reasonable thing to do. This is one of those.”

There was no remorse during his trial. As far as the Byrd family knows, King has shown none since.

“Throughout the trial he looked like he was just bored, sitting there with no interest, nothing that was shown, and so I think he wanted to make a name for himself. And that’s what he did,” Taylor tells Newsweek.

“When he left the courthouse that day on being given the death sentence he used an expletive as he referred to our family.

“Ever since then, he’s shown no remorse whatsoever and so I think that in his case the death penalty is completely justified.”

Richard Ellis, King’s attorney, declined to be drawn on King’s remorse or otherwise.

“As for any of my client's feelings, I hope that you can appreciate that I am ethically forbidden to divulge such information,” Ellis tells Newsweek.

The appeals process is not yet dead for King. In February 2018, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit gave King permission to proceed with an appeal.

King claims his trial counsel failed to properly present the case for his innocence.

Ellis said the appointment of King’s Federal Public Defender as co-counsel for clemency was approved only recently. Funding for the clemency investigation proceeds from that.

“There are still remaining areas of investigation in this case and legal avenues to present this,” Ellis says, and one of those areas “will probably center around the issue upon which the 5th Circuit granted a certificate of appealability.”

By the end of March, Ellis had filed a clemency petition for King with the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles. He planned in early April to file a subsequent petition at the state court.

The execution, and some sense of closure for the Byrd family, it being the final loose end from the trials, hangs tauntingly in the near distance.

They have waited many years for the execution of King. But they fear it will be snatched away.

“I feel like he had a right to appeal as much as the system allows him to,” Taylor says.

“Sometimes technicalities can get a person off, or you get a judge leaning one way or the other who can cause another appeal to be approved, and going through the whole trial over again, we’re not looking forward to that at all.”

She adds: “I think that 20 years was an extremely long time because even in that time period he didn’t seem to be any worse off for being on death row. He looked healthy, he’s gained weight.

“He looked like he’s just enjoying life to the extent that he could enjoy it. It makes you think about your loved one not being given that time to see what he would be like if he grew older.”

Gray says he has been asked repeatedly to attend the execution of King, but he has no plans to.

“If this execution had been 10 years ago, I'd actually be more inclined to be there. But when you wait 20 years to execute someone on a jury's verdict, I don't know, it's anticlimactic I guess,” he says.

But Taylor will be in the room whenever King finally gets his lethal injection, be it April or beyond, just as she was for Brewer.

She made a promise to her late mother, Stella Byrd, who died aged 85 in 2010.

“Some of us will be there to represent our family and especially our mum who asked that we see this through,” Taylor tells Newsweek.

“When we attended the execution of Brewer, it sort of takes a few minutes. It’s kind of a quiet, peaceful time. A time for meditation. But it also brings back the memory of how James died. A horrific death. And [King] just peacefully goes to sleep.

(source: Newsweek)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Clues, but no firm answers in King’s path to infamy

For 20 minutes after he was sentenced to die, John William “Bill” King wasn’t simply a symbol of racial hatred and evil.

His heartbroken father, sitting in a wheelchair with an oxygen tube in his nose, had urged a Jasper County jury not to give his son the death penalty. But the jurors — 11 white and one black — decided otherwise, deliberating for just three hours before recommending execution.

After ordering the sentence, state District Judge Joe Bob Golden did something he had not done previously in the trial. He allowed Bill King, 24, to spend 20 minutes with his dad, Ronald King, 69, before being taken away back to jail and then to death row.

“The entire 20 minutes, Bill wouldn’t take his hand off of his father,” the Rev. Ron Foshage recalled. “He just kept rubbing Ronald’s arm and then his leg. He knelt beside him … a father and son. Bill became that little boy who loved without hate.”

Because at one time, Foshage added, Bill King was “just a boy.”

The man set to die Wednesday night in Huntsville for one of Texas’ most awful murders was adopted at 2 months of age and raised in Jasper by Ronald and Jean King.

As a child, those who know him from that time say, he made friends with ease.

“My boys liked him,” said Capt. James Carter, an African-American man who grew up in Jasper and has served the Jasper County Sheriff’s Office for 30 years. “He came and spent the night with us often.”

King and Carter’s own two children were “just boys doing what boys do,” he said. They wrestled in the front yard, played ball, explored the neighborhood.

“He came and spent the night with us often,” Carter said. “I treated him like my own.”

On June 7, 1998, it fell to Carter and his boss to tell the family of James Byrd Jr. that three men — Bill King, Shawn Berry and Lawrence Russell Brewer — had chained Byrd, 49, to the bumper of a truck and dragged him three miles down a country road. It was a modern-day lynching that shocked the nation.

The Byrd family’s pastor recalls how hard the news fell on the dead man’s mother.

“She couldn’t believe how horrific it was, her son’s last minutes here on Earth being dragged,” said the Rev. Kenneth Lyons of Greater New Bethel Baptist Church. “And the reports said he tried to ... you could see where his hands had been scarred as they were dragging him.”

Eyes closed, Lyons lightly raked his fingernails across the table as he spoke.

“And they just kept dragging him. How could another man do that to a human being?”

Among those who had a different recollection of Bill King before the horrific Byrd murder — a crime that inspired hate-crime legislation in Texas and nationally — is Louis Berry.

He knew Bill King as his younger brother Shawn Berry’s good friend.

“Ol’ Bill,” folks would say, according to Berry, “he’ll give you the shirt off his back. I bet they made that saying after him.”

“Kids were just kids back then,” added Paul Brister, who was with the Jasper Police Department at the time of the slaying. “There was no internet, no cell phones, no online stuff. Teenagers just rode around town, they went to the movies, hung out at the movie theater and the skating rink.”

Jasper Twin Cinema, once a popular spot, closed in 2013, leaving behind a dilapidated building on South Fletcher Street.

Shawn Berry worked there. Police found a tire from Berry’s Ford pickup there. It was used as evidence in the trials.

“I never knew (Bill) to be racist until after he was in Beto,” Louis Berry said.

He wasn’t the only one to remark on the change that seemed to occur at the George Beto I Unit near Palestine in the late ’90s. At 20 years old, a series of burglaries had sent King to prison for the first time.

“Something certainly happened at Beto I,” Foshage said, before sharing words spoken by King’s father two decades prior.

“Something happened to my boy in prison. Something bad,” Ronald King had told his priest. “He never had this kind of hate in his heart.”

While there, he had been sexually assaulted by a black man. He refused to discuss it, Foshage said. While there, he also forged a friendship with Brewer, a white supremacist from Sulphur Springs.

“He was a monster when he got out of the pen,” Carter said.

Bill King’s descent started with the theft of alcohol and cigarettes.

“To be honest, he was just a guy committing crimes,” said Mike Wilson, lead investigator with the Jasper County District Attorney’s Office during the trials.

“He wasn’t a very good criminal,” Wilson said. “He was running with the wrong crowd as he got into his late teens. His dad tried to get him on the right track. Just a typical good kid gone bad.”

Foshage pegs the beginning of King’s downward spiral to his 16th birthday, the day his mother died.

“Ronald told me that Jean spoiled him,” the priest said. “She doted on him. They were very close. He was devastated. I know he missed her terribly.”

King began “veering off,” Carter said. His two children distanced themselves, and others followed.

“The kids backed off of him,” Carter said. “The kids in the neighborhood backed off of him. Even his friends. The friend he had (Berry) … you see what happened.”

King’s first arrest was in 1992, and he got 10 years’ probation for burglary of a building. Another burglary that same year put him in prison for three months. A second probation violation in 1995 sent him to the Beto Unit.

“That’s where he met Brewer and they decided to form their own branch of the KKK or some group like that,” Wilson said.

King was paroled in June 1997. The self-described “exalted cyclops” of the Confederate Knights of America left prison with a body full of tattoos. One depicted a black man hanging from a tree. He returned home and moved into an apartment with Shawn Berry.

Two months later, Brewer left Beto and headed for Jasper to find his former cellmate.

In the small, one-bedroom apartment near the local Walmart, King introduced Berry — a young man with a 1982 Ford pickup — and Brewer, a white supremacist paroled with what officials termed an “unidentified mental illness.”

Less than a year later, their names became inextricably linked. Eight months after King was tried, convicted and sentenced to death, Brewer also received the death penalty. Berry was sentenced to life in prison.

For the most part, Ronald King attended his son’s capital murder trial alone. His wife was gone; his three other children had cut ties with their brother.

“I cry a lot,” Ronald King told The Enterprise in 1999. “I’m lost myself. I don’t know where I stand. I’m going through something I never expected to go through.”

Another family in the courtroom understood his struggle.

“The Byrd family was so kind to Ronald,” Foshage said. “Every day after the trial had ended for the day, Mr. Byrd and other members of the Byrd family would touch Ronald on the arm as they were leaving. He was so grateful for their kindness.”

At one of the trials, Byrd’s father took Ronald King’s hand.

“We as parents raise our children to do the right thing and not hate,” said Louvon Harris, James Byrd Jr.’s older sister. “But once they’re not in your control anymore, we’re not sure what kids will grow up to be.

“There were no winners in this. We felt their pain, as well.”

Even as evidence uncovered Byrd’s blood on shoes found in King’s apartment and cigarettes at the crime scene with King’s DNA, Ronald King stood by his son. After the verdict, the man suffering from emphysema made sure his child had access to a radio, a television and stamps in prison.

“He was doing without medicine that he desperately needed so Bill could have these things,” Foshage said.

King reportedly had several tantrums in the months surrounding the trial — sometimes over his court-appointed attorneys, sometimes over the jailers, and sometimes for no reason at all.

During one fit, he smashed the radio against the wall.

Ronald King died at Jasper Nursing and Rehabilitation nine months before Brewer was executed in 2011. Before his death, he bought a plot for his son in the Jasper City Cemetery.

The bodies of whites and blacks had been buried separately since the 1830s. Days before King’s trial began, members of the community gathered in peace and prayer to tear down the fence that segregated the graveyard.

By Wednesday, King will be asked to decide whether he wants his remains brought back to Jasper, interred in the plot his father bought for him.

If they are, he’ll be buried next to his parents and just 100 yards from James Byrd Jr.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...56022944266890
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar
    TCCA has denied King’s final state appeal attempt. His lawyers are appealing to the Supreme Court.

https://www.twitter.com/jsmccullou/s...52012435542016
    "The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." -Theodore Roosevelt

Voted 7-0. Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles has DENIED King a 120 day reprieve.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/tex...0-day-reprieve

The denial was 5-4. If Alcala hadn't retired this would've been 5 to 4 the other way. Close enough call to chill everyone.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Everyone is always on board except for the CCA....

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information