Thread: Brian Espy Charged with Capital Murder in 2022 TX Slaying of Adel Salem Elhindawi

Brian Espy Charged with Capital Murder in 2022 TX Slaying of Adel Salem Elhindawi

Adel Salem Elhindawi

Arlington Car Dealer Fatally Shot Repossessing Loaner, Suspect Arrested: Police

Suspect arrested in Grand Prairie, expected to face capital murder charges in car dealer's slaying

NBC News

An Arlington man is facing a capital murder charge after being accused of fatally shooting a car dealer who was repossessing a loaner vehicle on Monday.

Brian Espy, 31, was arrested Wednesday in Grand Prairie by members of the U.S. Marshals North Texas Fugitive Task Force.

According to an arrest warrant affidavit obtained by NBC 5 Friday, Espy bought a BWM sedan from Salem Autos about a month ago and returned the vehicle for service. Espy was given a Jeep Grand Cherokee as a loaner while his vehicle was serviced.

An employee of Salem Autos told police that the dealership had repaired the BMW and that Espy's mother had picked up the sedan but the Jeep had not been returned.

On Monday, May 16, 52-year-old Adel Salem Elhindawi and an employee tracked the Jeep to the 2600 block of Alexis Avenue, the Mark at 2600 apartments, and went to recover the vehicle.

The employee and Elhindawi took his Dodge Charger to the apartment complex, located the Jeep and used a spare key to get into the vehicle. The employee then drove the Jeep toward the exit.

According to the arresting document, a resident of the apartments told police she was inside her apartment when she heard gunshots. She said she looked out her back patio door and spotted a man walking through the parking lot firing a gun at the driver of the Dodge Charger. The woman said the man then got into the passenger seat of a Volkswagen that left through the west parking lot.

The employee who pulled away in the Jeep also reported seeing a man in the parking lot shooting in their direction. The employee said they accelerated and left the complex, stopping outside to call Elhindawi.

The employee told police that moments later a Volkswagen pulled up and a man got out of the passenger seat and pointed a gun in their direction, saying he knew they worked for Salem Auto and demanded the keys. The employee said they begged to remain unharmed and put the keys on the driver's seat.

As the man got into the Jeep, police said the employee managed to use their cell phone to take photos of both the man and the woman driving the Volkswagen and provided those to police. The apartment complex later confirmed the woman driving the VW lived in the community.

The employee was unharmed. Elhindawi, meanwhile, was hospitalized at Medical City Arlington and died Thursday.

Espy was tracked to Grand Prairie and arrested and initially charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and aggravated robbery. With Elhindawi's death, those charges are expected to be upgraded to capital murder.

Officers also arrested 24-year-old Quyanna Massie, who police said is the woman driving the Volkswagen. She was booked into the Arlington City Jail on one count of aggravated robbery.

It's not clear if either Massie or Espy have obtained attorneys.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/ar...olice/2973795/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

More Info.

Charges upgraded, 2nd suspect arrested for Arlington car dealership owner's shooting death

By Dionne Anglin and Peyton Yager
    FOX 4 News

ARLINGTON, Texas - Arlington police have upgraded the charges and made a second arrest in the shooting death of an Arlington car dealership owner.

On Monday, Adel Elhindawi, the owner of Salem Autos, was shot while trying to retrieve a loaner car that had not been returned. He passed away from his injuries on Thursday.

Friday, Salem Autos in Arlington sat temporarily closed as the owner of the used car dealership, Elhindawi, was laid to rest.

Out front, the gate was shut and a small memorial is growing for the husband and father of two.

Brian Espy, 31, was arrested in Grand Prairie on Wednesday for the shooting.

He was originally charged with one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and one count of aggravated robbery. Those charges have since been upgraded to capital murder.

Employees at the dealership said Espy bought a vehicle off the lot three weeks ago, but the car was having mechanical issues. While Salem Autos was working on the car, a loaner was provided.

The car was fixed and returned last week, but the loaner was never brought back to the dealership.

Elhindawi and another employee went together to retrieve the loaner. That’s when he was shot.

Quyanna Massie, who was driving the loaner car at the time of the shooting, has also been arrested and was charged with aggravated assault.

Police records show Massie was the driver suspected of helping Espy escape after Monday’s murder.

"It’s so tragic. Like I said, the employees of the business were just trying to do their job," Arlington PD Officer Jesse Minton said. "He gets his car back on Saturday, and then on Monday, they still haven’t received the Jeep back. So they went, as part of their business, just to go pick this up."

Police said Elhindawi and an employee went to get the loaner vehicle back.

The employee with Elhindawi started up the Jeep and tried to exit the parking lot, when police said Espy opened fire.

Elhindawi, who was inside another vehicle, was struck in the head and crashed into a parked Cadillac.

"I went into survivor mode, we got to help him," said Ariel Oliver, who lives at the Arlington apartment complex where Elhindawi was shot.

She heard the gunfire outside her apartment, called 911, and rushed to help.

"We literally just sat there. kept talking to him," she recalled. "I didn’t know what to say other that hold on they’re coming."

Oliver jumped into action by putting the vehicle in park and applying pressuring to Elhindawi’s wounds.

"I didn’t know what I was walking up to," she recalled. "I was hesitate because a car came around and I didn’t know if they were coming back."

Oliver jumped into action by putting the vehicle in park and applying pressuring to Elhindawi’s wounds.

"I didn’t know what I was walking up to," she recalled. "I was hesitate because a car came around and I didn’t know if they were coming back."

An arrest affidavit released Friday said that’s when Espy hopped into his girlfriend’s car.

Massie is accused of blocking in the employee driving the Jeep, and then police said Espy got out and threatened him with a gun, forcibly taking back the vehicle.

He then drove off.

"In her assisting him in doing that, it’s as if she commits the crime just like him," Minton said of the charges against Massie.

"It’s just sad he was taken away from his family over something so simple," Oliver added.

Elhindawi's employees said Salem Autos doesn’t usually give out loaner vehicles, but he was doing Espy a favor.

A check of public records reveals Espy has a lengthy criminal history dating back to 2010, including convictions and charges of aggravated robbery, evading arrest, fraud, and drug and alcohol violations.

"What’s so sad about this is that Mr. Elhindawi is just trying to feed his family, doing his work that day, when, for some reason, this criminal decides that he’s going to bring a gun into it and ends up killing him," Minton added.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/charge...shooting-death
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information