Thread: Jeremy Morlock Sentenced to 43 Years to Life in 2022 OH Murder of Joseph Pomeroy

Senior Member CnCP Legend

Jeremy Morlock Sentenced to 43 Years to Life in 2022 OH Murder of Joseph Pomeroy

3 arrested in Canton for alleged murder after holding person hostage, 4th person still wanted

By Alec Sapolin
    WOIO

CANTON, Ohio (WOIO) - Three people, all wanted for murder, were arrested in Canton after taking a man hostage, Stark County Sheriff George Miller said.

Police originally found a dead body, later identified as 32-year-old Joseph Pomeroy, from Plain Township, dead on the side of the road near the intersection of Hardington Avenue NE and 12th Street NE in Canton, according to a press release from the department.

During a search warrant on May 13 executed by Stark County sheriffs and Canton police on a house in the 600 block of Correll Avenue NE in Canton, officers found a person held hostage in the basement, the news release said.

The man was transported to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries, sheriffs said.

Jeremy Morlock, 43, Clayton Smart, 24, and Mary Ann Soliday, 34, were all arrested in connection to Pomeroy’s death, the release said.

All three were also charged with one count each of rape, kidnapping and felonious assault in connection with the person held hostage.

Morlock was charged with one count of aggravated murder, while Smart and Soliday were individually charged with one count of complicity to commit aggravated murder, sheriffs confirmed.

Sheriffs also put a warrant out for a fourth suspect connected to Pomeroy’s death.

Andrew Williams, 27, is also wanted by Stark County sheriffs in connection to Pomeroy’s death, officers said.

Williams was last seen in the 300 block of 8th Street NE in Canton, officers said.

Sheriffs said Williams should be considered armed and dangerous and the public has been asked to not approach him.

Anyone with information regarding the investigation or the whereabouts of Williams is asked to contact the Stark County Sheriff’s Office at 330-430-3800 or the Canton Police Department at 330-649-5800.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2022/05/...-still-wanted/
    Last edited by Steven; 08-04-2023 at 10:48 AM.

Senior Member CnCP Legend
    January 24, 2023

Canton house torture case: Jeremy Morlock gets life term for murder and kidnappings

By Amy L. Knapp
    The Repository

CANTON ‒ Before he was sentenced on Tuesday, Jeremy Morlock begged Stark County Common Pleas Judge Chryssa Hartnett to show mercy.

Morlock, speaking in court for the first time, contends he was wrongfully convicted of murder for the death of Joseph Pomeroy and the kidnapping of two other men.

"I can honestly say I know a mother lost a son. I know I lost a good friend," Morlock said. "Joey was still alive when I left. I lost a good friend."

Morlock said he tried to help his friend get sober, allowing him to move into his Canton home.

Morlock was convicted of murder by a jury Jan. 20 for Pomeroy's beating death last May. Pomeroy's body was found rolled up in blankets and plastic and dumped in a Canton Township ditch.

The 44-year-old Morlock was also convicted of two counts of felony kidnapping, felony aggravated robbery, grand theft of a motor vehicle, felonious assault and rape in two other cases in which he helped kidnap two men.

Morlock was acquitted on charges of aggravated murder, kidnapping with the intent to engage in a sex act, gross imposition of a corpse and tampering with evidence.

Hartnett sentenced Morlock to 43 years to life, meaning he won't be eligible for parole until he serves at least 43 years.

Jeremy Morlock apologizes, claims he is innocent

"I got wrongfully convicted for crimes I didn't commit," Morlock told those in the courtroom.

He said he was not present when Pomeroy was killed in a Canton basement. Two co-defendants testified the group took turns beating Pomeroy because they thought he had stolen items from their home.

Apologizing to a 38-year-old man who said he was held against his will, Morlock said he didn't do what he is accused of doing. He told the other kidnapping victim, a 22-year-old man, he also tried to help him.

"At the end of the end of the day, I am sorry for everybody's losses," Morlock said. " I go to bed every day and get up every morning knowing I lost a best friend. I will go to my grave knowing that I didn't commit these crimes."

Living a nightmare

Before Morlock spoke, the two kidnapping victims addressed the court, both saying the suffer from long-term effects and nightmares.

The 22-year-old, who was lured to Morlock's home where they held him in the basement for three days beating and sodomizing him until he was found by authorities, said he lost hearing in his left ear, has no feeling in his feet and a wound on the back of his head that won't heal.

"It just doesn't make no sense," the man said.

The other victim told the court as a Canton native he no longer can bring himself to come home.

"I'm too scared to even be in my own town," the man said. "At night I have nightmares."

Prosecutors said Morlock and others lured the 38-year-old to their home at 616 Correll Ave. NW, where the man said he was held at gunpoint and robbed of his car on May 5. He escaped and called police.

"All I can hope is that Jeremy Morlock finds peace while he is locked up," the man said.

Meg Pomeroy, Joseph Pomeroy's mother, said she and her son were estranged for many years but she never stopped thinking about him and praying he would turn his life.

"Unfortunately, Joey made poor life choices that put him in the situation that led to his murder," she said. "Even so, it did not give you, Jeremy Morlock, the right to end my son's life prematurely."

"You are a wicked, diabolical person and I find solace and comfort in the fact that you have been brought before this court to answer for your actions."

Series of events was certainly a nightmare

"Just when you think you have seen and heard everything, a case likes yours comes along," Hartnett told Morlock. "As twisted or sadistic or horrific as it was described by the media, that just doesn't do it justice. All of these events have you at the core of them."

She pointed out that Morlock may have thought he was too smart by ensuring he left before Pomeroy died but Hartness said none of the events would have happened without him.

After the sentencing, Pomeroy's mother thanked Stark County Sheriff's Office for working diligently for investigating her son's slaying.

Acknowledging her son had his own run-ins with the law, the law enforcement officials were respectful.

"They treated him like he was important," Meg Pomeroy said. "It was important to solve this and they worked hard and they did arrest someone within a week."

The 31-year-old Pomeroy's body was found in May in a ditch along Hardington Avenue NE in Canton Township. The body was wrapped in a blanket and plastic bag bound with a chain and bungee cord.

Pomeroy said her son had a tough life. He suffered from Russell-Silver syndrome, a genetic disorder that affects how a child's body grows before and after birth. He also had cognitive problems, including no reasoning or judgment, his mother said.

Despite his issues, Meg Pomeroy said her son had a great heart and would have helped anybody he could.

Assistant Stark County Prosecutor Dennis Barr said Pomeroy's issues are likely what attracted Morlock to befriend him.

"He took advantage of Joey," Barr said. "I'm very pleased with the sentence imposed. Mr. Morlock is 44. He'll be 87 before he can be considered for parole. It's where he belongs. He'll be in prison for a very long time."

Others still facing charges

Six people were charged with taking part in Pomeroy's slaying or the kidnappings.

Mary Soliday, 34, and Clayton Smart, 24, residents of the Correll home, faces counts of aggravated murder, murder, three counts of kidnapping, grand theft of a motor vehicle, felonious assault, rape, gross abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence.

Smart reached a deal in exchange for his testimony and an expected prison term of 30 to 35 years. The state has agreed to dismiss the aggravated murder and rape charges and amend the murder charge to involuntary manslaughter. Smart has agreed to plead guilty to involuntary manslaughter, three counts of kidnapping, grand theft of a motor vehicle, felonious assault, abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence.

Bonnie Metz, 29, a resident of the Correll home and Morlock's girlfriend, has pleaded not guilty to aggravated robbery, grand theft of a motor vehicle and kidnapping charges and is awaiting trial.

Soliday also has pleaded not guilty and is awaiting trial.

Andrew Williams, 27, was indicted on charges of aggravated murder, murder, gross abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence. He also reached a deal with the state for his testimony.

Prosecutors agreed to dismiss the aggravated murder charge and reduce a murder charge to involuntary manslaughter in exchange for him testifying in Morlock's trial. Williams is expected to plead guilty to involuntary manslaughter, gross abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence in exchange for a prison term of 12 to 15 years.

Jordan McWeeny, 34, of Canton, is accused of helping to dump Pomeroy's body.

He is charged with tampering with evidence and gross abuse of a corpse. Authorities agreed to drop the tampering charge in a plea deal in exchange for testifying in Morlock's trial. He will serve a year of probation.

https://cantonrep.com/story/news/cou...g/69834184007/

Thread Information