Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Daniel Lee Lopez - Texas Execution - August 12, 2015

Lopez executed for CCPD officer's death

The man who struck and killed a Corpus Christi police officer putting out spike strips during a chase was put to death Wednesday evening.

The Supreme Court refused to block the execution of Daniel Lopez as he ordered his appeals dropped in order to hasten his execution.

Attorneys for Lopez argued their client was using the justice system as a form of suicide.

On March 11, 2009, Lopez, 21, was pulled over in the Molina neighborhood for driving erratically. Lopez assaulted an officer and then fled, leading officers on a chase.

Lt. Alexander was placing spike strips near NPID and Agnes when witnesses said Lopez intentionally swerved toward Lt. Stuart Alexander. Lopez's vehicle struck and killed Alexander.

The chase finally ended at Comanche and Brownlee, where Lopez rammed several police cars before being shot twice. A capital murder conviction would later put him on death row.

CCPD Asst. Chief Mark Gutierrez was a longtime friend and colleague of Alexander. Gutierrez and a group of officers were scheduled to attend the execution.

"I think this is appropriate for us to send representatives to show that we have not forgotten and we will never forget," said Asst. Chief Gutierrez.

Gutierrez has stayed in contact with Alexander's widow, Vicky. He says it's been a long, agonizing ordeal for everyone.

"I would hope that he would show some remorse for the loss of life and for the agony the family's had to endure since then," he said. "(For) his family as well, they've had to endure this whole process as well."

Lt. Alexander was 47-years old when he was killed. He was a 20 year veteran of the Corpus Christi police force.

Following the execution, prison officials released a printed copy of Lopez's final statement.

It reads, "I would like to thank you, I hope this execution helps my family and also the victim's family. This was never meant to be, sure beyond my power. I can only walk the path before me and make the best of it. I am sorry for putting y'all through this. I am sorry, I love you. I am ready. May we all go to Heaven. Thank you Warden Jones."

http://www.kristv.com/story/29764804...f-daniel-lopez

Pro-police bikers drown out Texas cop killer's final words with revved engines during execution

Texas bikers standing in solidarity with a slain police officer muffled the final words of his killer by loudly revving their engines outside of the prison during the Wednesday night execution.

Daniel Lee Lopez — who wrote multiple letters to a judge pleading for an earlier execution date — was executed by lethal injection Wednesday.

The 27-year-old was convicted of striking and killing a Corpus Christi officer during a 2009 police chase.

A group of bikers supporting police gathered outside of the Huntsville prison before the execution. As Lopez gave his final words, the racers revved their engines in unison — a roar so loud it could be heard inside the execution chamber.

“I hope this execution helps my family and also the victim's family," Lopez said as the engine noises muffled his speech. "This was never meant to be, sure beyond my power. I can only walk the path before me and make the best of it. I'm sorry for putting you all through this. I am sorry. I love you. I am ready. May we all go to heaven.”

He was pronounced dead at 6:31 p.m. CDT — 15 minutes after the lethal dose began.

After his 2009 sentencing, Lopez wrote letters to a federal judge and pleaded for his execution to move forward. Last week, as his lawyer challenged his death sentence, he said that a Supreme Court reprieve would be “disappointing.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2324450
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Junior Member Stranger
    I can't believe my first post makes me sound like an anti (I'm not) but I think they could have done without the engine revving for this case. The guy sought the DP, tried to speed it up, actually fought his appeals, did press encouraging others to volunteer, and did the unthinkable in that he didn't wait to apologize until 5 seconds before meeting his maker.

If it helps the surviving victims then fine, just seems like overkill (no pun intended).

Senior Member CnCP Addict TrudieG's Avatar
    Welcome, Mightysparrow. Your post doesn't make you sound like an anti. However, the revving of the engines was the bikers' way of honoring the fallen officer. It was their sign that justice was being served. When I first posted here I admitted I was on the fence about the DP. Sure, I was pro in cases like Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, etc. It was lesser known cases I was on the fence about not knowing the case history. This forum is the most informative and Heidi and the others who administer this site work hard to keep up on all the latest developments and I know that justice is being administered as punishment not revenge. I don't always agree with how people may choose to honor a victim but I respect their right and I totally respect those bikers honoring a fallen police officer.

Welcome, Mightysparrow!

Just to add to Trudie's explanation, motor-revving by Texas officers has become something of a tradition when Texas executes a cop-killer.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Senior Member Frequent Poster stixfix69's Avatar
    I have no problem with the revving of the bikes, but in this case they could have waited until he was done with his last words, because for a lot of victims families they do want to see if the inmate shows remorse, and if they take full responsibility for their actions....And in this case Lopez did, as well as he did forego all his appeals for a fast swift execution date....

Junior Member Stranger
    Thanks, all. In some aspects my views are more extreme (I'd like to see the DP expanded to include sex crimes that don't necessarily end in murder, and want to totally reform/speed up the appeals process); in others I am quite moderate...just quick and humane executions with no element of spectacle from pros or antis so that the execution team and families of both the victims and the inmate get through it with no added trauma. I live in Michigan so it's kind of moot, but there you go.

I do of course respect paying tribute to the slain.

Related

Documentary features man executed for killing Corpus Christi officer

A Corpus Christi man executed last year for killing a police officer will be featured in a British documentary about the death penalty.

Daniel Lee Lopez will appear in the film, "Execution," when it launches Feb. 16 on the BBC channel in the United Kingdom and its website www.bbc.co.uk. The segment is the first in a series called "Life and Death Row."

Lopez, who pushed for a speedy execution, was sentenced to death by lethal injection for killing Corpus Christi Lt. Stuart Alexander, 47, during a high-speed chase on March, 11, 2009. Lopez, 27, was executed Aug. 12.

Alexander was placing spike strips on North Padre Island Drive near the Agnes Street exit to stop Lopez's vehicle when he was hit. Lopez said he didn't mean to hit Alexander and couldn't see because officers had sprayed his eyes with pepper spray.

But other officers testified Lopez rammed their patrol cars and tried to run them over as well.

Alexander, a 20-year veteran of the Corpus Christi Police Department, was a beloved officer. His funeral was attended by hundreds of family, friends and officers.

Last year, a highway marker in Alexander's memory was unveiled at the location and in 2014 a portion of the highway was renamed the Peace Officers Memorial Highway. In 2010, an Annaville area park was also named for Alexander.

http://www.caller.com/news/local/cri...366988571.html
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Junior Member Stranger
    just seen the documentry on bbc iplay was good although i do think he gave up his appeals because he didnt want to spend the rest of his life in jail

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information