Thread: Darlene Brister Sentenced to LWOP in 2022 GA Slaying of her Three Children

Darlene Brister Sentenced to LWOP in 2022 GA Slaying of her Three Children

Fourth child dies after woman tries stabbing kids inside burning house, deputies say

By WSB-TV News Staff

PAULDING COUNTY, Ga. — A fourth child has died after deputies say their mother tried stabbing her seven children before setting their house on fire.

Darlene Brister, 40, is facing malice murder charges after Paulding County investigators received a report of house fire where a woman was inside allegedly attacking and stabbing her children.

The 911 caller said a woman inside the house was trying to stab the people inside and that the house was also on fire.

Channel 2′s Elizabeth Rawlins spoke to neighbors who witnessed the chaotic and tragic scene unfold on Woodwind Drive late Friday night.

“Three lives are gone,” said neighbor Edward Swinger.

“I walked out the door and could see the fire in the house,” said neighbor Willie Hayes.

When investigators arrived, they found seven children in the house. Two of them were already dead and three others were taken to the hospital.

“They bring the kids out dead and she is still hiding in the house,” said Hayes. “It’s pitiful.”

Neighbors told Channel 2 the family has lived across the street for nearly five years. They see the family often but they hardly know much about them.

“She doesn’t talk to anyone,” said Swinger.

“We would see them but we wouldn’t communicate with them,” said Hayes.

But they did hear that there were on-going domestic issues at the house but they never thought it would lead to this deadly violence between a mother and her children.

“It’s so sad,” said Hayes. “Why would someone do that to their children?”

The names and ages of the three children who died have not been released. Brister is being held in the Paulding County Detention Center without bond.

Fire officials are still working to learn the cause of the fire.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/pau...AQRTQKIAQU6EQ/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

UPDATE: Mother charged with deaths of 3 children after fire at home

By Matt Bruce and Rosana Hughes
    Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Editor’s note: An earlier version of this story incorrectly indicated another child had died; however, law enforcement officials had received and released incorrect information.

A Paulding County mother was in jail Sunday after she allegedly tried to stab several children as a house burned Friday night, according to authorities. Three of those children have died.

Darlene Brister, 40, is charged with two counts of malice murder following the deaths. It was not immediately clear if Brister started the fire, as officials did not confirm and she has not been charged with arson, but the sheriff’s office indicated that more charges are likely to be filed as the investigation continues. On Sunday afternoon, law enforcement officials confirmed she was the mother of the victims.

The tragedy unfolded at a Rockmart home in the 700 block of Woodwind Drive in west Paulding, according to sheriff’s office spokesman Tyler McSwain.

Deputies received a call at 9:19 p.m. for a “domestic disturbance” at the residence. The caller told 911 dispatchers that a woman was inside the home trying to stab the other occupants and the house was on fire, according to McSwain.

When deputies and firefighters arrived, they entered the burning home to rescue the occupants and found seven children inside.

Two children died at the scene, Paulding County Fire-Rescue spokesman Lt. Steve Mapes said.

They were a 3-year-old with apparent multiple stab wounds and a 9-month-old, according to the sheriff’s office. Three others, ages 5, 9 and 11, were transported to local hospitals, McSwain said.

The remaining two children, ages 14 and 16, did not appear to have injuries.

The 5-year-old who was transported to the hospital died from the injuries sustained.

Paulding County fire investigators, sheriff’s office detectives, the State Fire Marshal’s Office and GBI agents are investigating the fatal blaze.

“Investigators diligently went to work to make sense of the chaotic scene,” McSwain said in the release.

Deputies found Brister on the property uninjured and subsequently arrested her.

“They bring the kids out dead and she is still hiding in the house,” neighbor Willie Hayes told Channel 2 Action News. “It’s pitiful.”

Neighbors told the news station the family moved into the house about five years ago, but Brister didn’t interact much with others in the community.

“She doesn’t talk to anyone,” neighbor Edward Swinger said.

Hayes said they would see the family but didn’t communicate with them.

Officials did not release the victims’ names or ages Sunday but noted that all five victims are children.

On Saturday afternoon, after investigators had already left, crime scene tape still encircled the yellow two-story house. Most of the fire damage appeared to be in the rear of the home, but burned siding was visible above the front door.

At the foot of the roadside mailbox, a small makeshift memorial with candles and stuffed animals had begun to collect.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime/gbi-i...E6AYZUJ5RO26E/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Another Darlie that stabbed her kids to death... I wonder if she will end up on DR too.

Possibly. It’s Georgia but looking at Tiffany Moss, there’s always a chance
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Deputies called ‘heroes’ for searching burning home for kids, mom they say attacked them

By WSBTV.com News Staff

Two Paulding County deputies are being awarded for running into a burning home to search for trapped kids and the mother authorities say tried to kill them.

Corporal Jamie Winkles and Deputy Joshua Bishop were given the Medal of Merit, which is the second highest honor a deputy can receive, for their “heroic” acts.

Darlene Brister, 40, is charged with malice murder after she allegedly set her house on fire and tried to stab her children who were trapped inside. Three of her seven children in the house, ages five-months, three and five years, were killed. The three-year-old had suffered multiple stab wounds.

Cpl. Winkles and Dep. Bishop risked their own lives and ran into the burning home when they got to the home to find the children and an armed woman.

When the smoke became too much, they ran back outside and got oxygen masks from firefighters before going back into the home.

They were ultimately able to help get several of the children out of the home.

“What Corporal Winkles and Deputy Bishop did was exemplary. They went above and beyond the call of duty to try and save the children who were trapped inside the home. I am grateful to have them as Deputies helping keep our county safe,” Paulding County Sheriff Gary Gulledge said.

Brister remains in the Paulding County Jail.

https://news.yahoo.com/deputies-call...152630971.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Georgia mother accused of murdering 3 children in house fire faces death penalty

By Fox 5 News

PAULDING COUNTY, Ga. - Prosecutors say they are seeking the death penalty against a Paulding County woman accused of murdering her three children.

A Paulding County grand jury on Wednesday indicted 40-year-old Darlene Brister with three counts of malice murder, three counts of felony murder, two counts of aggravated assault, one count of arson in the first degree, and seven counts of cruelty to children in the first degree.

The charges stem from the night of June 24, where police and firefighters were called to reports of a domestic disturbance and house fire at Brister's residence along Woodwind Drive near Freeboard Way in Rockmart.

Investigators were initially told the mother of seven and her children were inside the burning home, and she was "trying to stab them." Brister's 3-year-old and 9-month-old children were pronounced dead at the scene. Her 5-year-old was rushed to an area hospital where they later died. A 9-year-old and 11-year-old were also taken to the hospital for treatment.

Paulding District Attorney Matthew Rollins announced the decision to seek the death penalty on Thursday.

"This is not a decision that I have reached lightly but given the facts and circumstances surrounding this case, I feel this is the appropriate action."

In a previous interview, Brister's husband said his wife was suffering from depression.

Brister was being held without bond in the Paulding County jail.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/geo...-death-penalty

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Mom who fatally stabbed her 3 young kids then set house on fire escapes death penalty by pleading to murders

By Jerry Lambe
    Law & Crime

A 42-year-old mother in Georgia has escaped the death penalty and will spend the rest of her days behind bars for killing three of her young children, stabbing them to death inside of their family home before setting it on fire. Paulding County Superior Court

Judge T. David Lyles last week ordered Darlene Nicole Brister to serve three consecutive sentences of life without the possibility for parole for the 2022 slayings of the little ones, a 9-month-old, a 3-year-old, and a 5-year-old, court records obtained by Law&Crime show.

Brister reached a negotiated plea deal with prosecutors and agreed to plead guilty to three counts of malice murder in her children’s deaths. The deal resulted in counts of felony murder, aggravated assault, arson, and cruelty to children being dismissed against Brister.

Prosecutors in September 2022 had filed paperwork with the court declaring their intention to seek the death penalty against Brister. In the filing, prosecutors set forth numerous “aggravating circumstances” which, if proven, authorized the state to put her to death.

The filing states that Brister committed multiple murders during the commission of other felonies, including aggravated battery and first-degree arson. The state further alleged that the murders “were outrageously, wantonly, vile, horrible, and inhuman” because they “involved torture and depravity of mind.”

District Attorney Matthew Rollins said the decision to file the Notice of Intent to Seek the Death Penalty was not one he “reached lightly,” but said that the facts and circumstances surrounding the case made it appropriate.

https://lawandcrime.com/crime/mom-wh...ng-to-murders/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information