Thread: Death Penatly Off the Table for Heather Hicks Auman in 2022 NC Murder Of MJ Auman

Death Penatly Off the Table for Heather Hicks Auman in 2022 NC Murder Of MJ Auman

Seagrove firefighter's wife arrested for first-degree murder

MJ Auman died Saturday. Detectives have charged his wife, Heather Hicks Auman, with murder.

Author: Megan Allman (WFMY News 2 Digital)

RANDOLPH COUNTY, N.C. — The wife of a Seagrove firefighter has been arrested for first-degree murder in his death.

Randolph County Sheriff's Office said local firefighter "MJ" Mishael James Auman died Saturday.

Deputies said they responded to a home on Ridge Road after a 911 call about an alleged self-inflicted gunshot wound. The caller claimed MJ shot himself. MJ was taken to a nearby hospital where he died from his injuries.

Detectives said the investigation revealed that Heather Hicks Auman, 37, killed her husband. Heather was arrested at her home on Wednesday for first-degree murder. She was confined to the Randolph County Jail and was not allowed bond. Her first court appearance is set for Friday.

Randolph County Fire Marshal Erik Beard released a statement on behalf of the Seagrove Rural Volunteer Fire Department.

"It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Seagrove Firefighter Misael James (MJ) Auman on Saturday, June 25, 2022. MJ served the citizens of Randolph County and the Seagrove community for over 21 years. This is a devastating blow to the fire service of our county as Firefighter Auman also served at the Ramseur, Ulah and Tabernacle Fire Departments over the past 21 years."

Fire Marshal Beard went on to say how contagious MJ's smile was.

"MJ’s infectious smile, outgoing personality and willingness to serve others will forever be missed throughout our county’s fire service. Our thoughts and prayers are with the MJ’s family and friends during this time of loss."

WFMY News 2 is working to get more information about this case from investigators. We will continue to add updates to this breaking news story.

MJ served the Seagrove community for more than 20 years and had strong ties to the Randolph County community. The Seagrove Rural Volunteer Fire Department said Saturday that MJ's death was "a devastating blow to the fire service."

The fire department did not have comment following news of the arrest.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/amp/articl...e-19fa5aac6d44
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Seagrove firefighter’s wife accused of murder could face death penalty

MJ Auman was laid to rest Friday. Earlier in the day, his wife Heather appeared in court for a first-degree murder charge.

Author: Megan Allman (WFMY News 2 Digital)

SEAGROVE, N.C. — Fire trucks from around the area lined up to honor MJ Auman. The Seagrove Fire Department said it has been an extremely difficult time for them and the community.

On the same day he was remembered, his wife, Heather Auman, 37, who's accused of killing him made her first court appearance.

She faces a first-degree murder charge after Randolph County Sheriff's deputies found her husband who was shot Saturday. Per Judge Hon Scott C. Etheridge, Auman’s maximum sentence is the death sentence if she's found guilty. Judge Etheridge said the sentence qualifies Auman for a death penalty lawyer. According to legal experts though, that doesn't mean she'll be on death row.

"The death penalty in the state is for capital offenses generally meaning first-degree murder. Again, the prosecutor has discretion as whether to seek the death penalty. If the prosecutor seeks the death penalty that doesn't mean it will be given even upon conviction,” Steven Friedland, Professor of Law at Elon University School of Law said.

When Heather called 911, she claimed her husband had shot himself, but investigators arrested and charged her with murder on Wednesday. She was jailed with no bond allowed.

MJ will be laid to rest Friday evening. His funeral is set for 6:30 p.m. at Asbury Baptist Church in Seagrove. MJ leaves behind an 11-year-old son.

Heather's next court appearance is August 2. We've reached out to her lawyers and are waiting to hear back.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/amp/articl...4-01ca3ec14df9
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

No death penalty in case of wife accused of shooting, killing NC firefighter

By Emily Mikkelsson
    WGHP News

SEAGROVE, N.C. (WGHP) — A woman accused of killing her husband, a firefighter in the Seagrove community, will not face the death penalty.

This week, Randolph County prosecutors went before the judge to seek the death penalty in this case, if Auman should be convicted.

The request was denied, and the case will stay as a non-capital case in Randolph County Superior Court.

“Absolutely it’s a loss for our community,” community member Melissa Bunker said. “He was a great first responder. He was a great firefighter.”

Seagrove Fire Department said in a statement that “MJ’s infectious smile, outgoing personality and willingness to serve others will forever be missed throughout our county’s fire service.”

Auman also worked for the Ramseur Fire Department, who said they will always remember him as an important part of their team.

Heather Hicks Auman’s next court date has not been set yet.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/north-car...c-firefighter/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information