Thread: Murder Trials Set for Devin Xavier Myers and Daniel Lamar Jones in 2022 IN Triple Slaying

Murder Trials Set for Devin Xavier Myers and Daniel Lamar Jones in 2022 IN Triple Slaying

Malcolm E. Perdue, Kyndra K. Swift and
    Kyler Musick

Devin Xavier Myers and Daniel Lamar Jones

Edited:

Prosecutor: Death penalty 'on the table' in Muncie triple homicide

By Douglas Walker
    Muncie Star Press

MUNCIE, Ind. — Delaware County Prosecutor Eric Hoffman is contemplating whether three slayings in Muncie on Wednesday warrant the pursuit of a death sentence for those responsible.

Muncie police said Malcolm E. Perdue, 69, and Kyndra K. Swift, 51, were fatally shot shortly before 5 a.m. Wednesday during a robbery at a home in the 2900 block of South Liberty Street.

Perdue's 19-year-old grandson, Kyler Ryan Musick, also was shot to death Wednesday, apparently at a different location. Investigators found his body Thursday night near Prairie Creek Reservoir.

Two Muncie men — Devin Xavier Myers and Daniel L. Jones, both 27 — were arrested on Wednesday. Both are charged with two preliminary counts of murder in the Liberty Street slayings.

Affidavits have suggested Myers was responsible for the shooting death of Musick, too.

Prosecutor Hoffman said Friday he expected formal charges in the case to be filed early next week.

"At the time it is premature to make a decision one way or the other on whether I intend to seek the death penalty," Hoffman said. "However, I can say it is certainly on the table."

Under Indiana law, a death sentence can be pursued in a murder case if at least one of 18 "special circumstances" exist.

Those circumstances include an "intentional murder" while committing, or trying to commit, crimes including burglary and robbery.

Another circumstance includes committing a murder after having committed another homicide "at any time regardless of whether convicted."

https://news.yahoo.com/prosecutor-de...200032951.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

August 11, 2022

Muncie man charged in triple homicide now accused of threatening to kill jailers

By Douglas Walker
    Muncie Star Press

MUNCIE, Ind. — A Muncie man already charged with fatally shooting three members of a Muncie family now stands accused of threatening to kill correction officers at the Delaware County jail.

Delaware County Prosecutor Eric Hoffman on Thursday charged Devin Xavier Myers, 28, with intimidation and being a prisoner in possession of a deadly weapon.

Court documents allege Myers was determined to have a "shank" — also described as a "sharpened instrument" — in the jail on Thursday.

Also on Thursday, Myers allegedly told a jail officer, "I'm going to get all you ... before I go to (prison). I swear on my kids I'll get you."

The deadly weapon charge is a Level 4 felony with a maximum 12-year sentence. Intimidation is a Level 6 felony carrying up to 30 months in prison.

Those two counts were added to nine charges pending against Myers in Delaware Circuit Court 5.

Myers is charged with murder in the July 12 shooting death of 19-year-old Kyler Ryan Musick. The teen's remains were found two days later near Prairie Creek Reservoir.

Muncie police said that after that homicide, Myers on the early morning of July 13 went to the home of Musick's family, along South Liberty Street, and fatally shot the teen's grandfather, 69-year-old Malcolm Perdue, and another relative, Kyndra K. Swift, 51.

Another Muncie man, Daniel Lamar Jones, 27, also is accused of participating in that armed home invasion.

In addition to three counts of murder, Myers faces charges including armed robbery, criminal confinement, conspiracy to commit armed robbery and obstruction of justice.

Prosecutor Hoffman has said he is considering whether to pursue capital punishment in the triple homicide case.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/munc...164230103.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Muncie man charged in two South Liberty slayings to pursue insanity defense

By Douglas Walker
    Muncie Star Press

MUNCIE, Ind. — A Muncie man charged in the slayings of two local residents during an armed home invasion is pursuing an insanity defense.

Daniel Lamar Jones, 27, is charged with two counts of murder in the July 13 slayings of Malcolm E. Perdue, 69, and Kyndra K. Swift, 51, at a house in the 2900 block of South Liberty Street.

Muncie police said Jones accompanied Devin Xavier Myers, 28 — who is accused of fatally shooting the victims — to the southside home.

A safe stolen from the Liberty Street home — which contained "silver coins and what appeared to be marijuana edibles" — was later found at an East Willard Street home where Jones was apprehended.

Jones also is charged with aiding, inducting or causing robbery, criminal confinement, conspiracy to commit armed robbery, obstruction of justice and resisting law enforcement.

He reportedly told investigators he had agreed to participate in what was intended to be a robbery at the Liberty Street address, but said he fled from the scene after hearing gunshots.

Jones' public defender, Brandon Murphy, this week filed a "notice of defense of mental disease or defect," necessary for his client to pursue an insanity defense.

Murphy asked Delaware Circuit Court 5 Judge Thomas Cannon Jr. to appoint medical health professionals to examine his client, and asked to be present for those examinations.

That drew an objection from Delaware County Prosecutor Eric Hoffman, who said in a motion it was "contrary to both state and federal law as well as the prevailing norms and wisdom in the fields of psychiatry and psychology to have attorneys for either side present for an insanity evaluation."

Judge Cannon ruled Murphy could not attend the meetings with mental health professionals, but could meet with his client before and after those sessions.

Jones — being held without bail in the Delaware County jail — has received a Jan. 16 trial date in Cannon's court.

In addition to the killings during the home invasion, Myers also is charged with having earlier killed another member of the same household, 19-year-old Kyler Ryan Musick, who was Perdue's grandson and Swift's great-nephew.

Myers' trial is scheduled to begin on Jan. 2.

https://www.thestarpress.com/story/n...e/65407119007/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Muncie Man Tied Anderson Shooting and Officer Intimidation

By WIBC Editorial Staff

MUNCIE, Ind. — The suspect in a home invasion is now tied to another shooting and threatening to kill an officer.

On Thursday, the Delaware County Prosecutor’s Office added charges of intimidation and prisoner in possession of a deadly weapon on top of Devin Xavier Myers’ triple murder chargers.

Court documents say that while being held in the Delaware County Jail, Myers threatened a corrections officer with a shank and told them, “I’m going to get all you … before I go to (prison). I swear on my kids I’ll get you.”

On July 12 Myers, alonside Daniel Lamar Jones, allegedly shot and killed 19-year-old Kyler Ryand Musick. Disposing his body with the help of Myers’ girlfriend, Alexandra Reagan, at the Prairie Creek Resevior.

A day later Myers and Jones then went on to invade Musick’s home, killing two of his relatives: his grandfather Malcolm Perdue, and his great-aunt Kyndra Swift.

Now, an investigation into a June shootout revealed that Myers was involved in another death. An Anderson shootout that killed Landon Hill. The Madison County Prosecutor believes that Myers was the one who killed Hill, however, he also believes that shooting was in self-defense and so no extra charges will be filed.

Myers’ trial is January 6th.

https://wibc.com/135652/muncie-man-t...-intimidation/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Man charged in Muncie slayings abandons insanity defense

By Douglas Walker
    Muncie Star Press

MUNCIE, Ind. — A Muncie man charged in the July slayings of two members of a local family has abandoned plans to pursue an insanity defense.

Daniel Lamar Jones, 27, is charged with two counts of murder in the slayings of Malcolm E. Perdue, 69, and Kyndra K. Swift, 51, in a house in the 2900 block of South Liberty Street.

Authorities said Jones was participating in an armed home invasion when co-defendant Devin Xavier Myers, 28, fatally shot the victims.

Myers is also charged with having earlier killed another member of the family, 19-year-old Kyler Ryan Musick, who was Perdue's grandson and Swift's great-nephew.

A safe stolen from the Liberty Street home — which contained "silver coins and what appeared to be marijuana edibles," according to an affidavit — was later found at an East Willard Street home where Jones was captured.

Jones' defense attorney, Brandon Murphy, in August filed the documents necessary for his client to pursue an insanity defense.

Judge Thomas Cannon Jr. appointed two medical health professionals, psychiatrist Craig Buckles and psychologist Bob Hatfield, to examine Jones.

In the wake of resulting reports, Murphy withdrew "the defense of insanity or mental disease."

Jones — also charged with aiding, inducing or causing robbery, criminal confinement, obstruction of justice, conspiracy to commit armed robbery and resisting law enforcement — had been scheduled to stand trial on Jan. 16.

However, Cannon recently granted a defense motion for a continuance, and rescheduled the trial for May 15.

Myers, meanwhile, is scheduled to stand trial July 10.

https://news.yahoo.com/man-charged-m...115508678.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information