Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty Off the Table for Arturo Marin-Sotelo and Alder Marin-Sotelo in 2022 NC Slaying of Deputy Ned Byrd

Death Penalty Off the Table for Arturo Marin-Sotelo and Alder Marin-Sotelo in 2022 NC Slaying of Deputy Ned Byrd

Deputy Ned Byrd

Arturo Marin-Sotelo and Alder Marin-Sotelo

Wake County deputy shot and killed. We will find who's responsible,' sheriff says

By Mark Schultz
    Charlotte Observer

A sheriff’s deputy was shot and killed late Thursday night in eastern Wake County, the Sheriff’s Office reported.

The shooting occurred near a gas station on Auburn Knightdale Road and Battle Bridge Road, reported ABC11, The News & Observer’s media partner.

“It breaks my heart to report that a member of this office was fatally wounded sometime after 11 o’clock last night in the line of duty,” Sheriff Gerald Baker, his eyes red, said at a news conference Friday, asking for prayers.

“We will find who’s responsible for this loss,” Baker said.

The name of the deputy and the circumstances of the deputy’s death have not been released.

RECENT SHOOTINGS OF NC DEPUTIES

Thursday’s shooting happened just a day after a Caswell County sheriff’s deputy was hospitalized with serious injuries after he was shot Wednesday while serving a domestic violence protective order in rural Semora, The News & Observer previously reported.

And one deputy was killed and two injured in Wayne County, 60 miles southeast of Raleigh, on Aug. 1 after they were shot while serving an involuntary commitment order inside a home, The N&O reported. The death of Sgt. Matthew Fishman, 38, was announced the next day in a Facebook post.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...264441096.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Wake County identifies deputy killed as manhunt continues

By Justin Pryor and Charles Duncan
    Spectrum News 1

RALEIGH, N.C. — A deputy with the Wake County Sheriff's Office died after being shot late Thursday night, authorities confirm. A search for the suspected shooter continued as of midday Friday.

Sheriff Gerald Baker said Deputy Ned Byrd died after being shot multiple times. Byrd had been with the department for 13 years and was a member of the K9 unit.

“He’s a very dedicated and committed deputy sheriff. Loves serving and protecting this county,” Baker said. “He was always in a good mood, good spirit because he enjoys what he does. That’s always refreshing.”

The shooting happened at about 11 p.m. on Battle Bridge Road, near Auburn-Knightdale Road southeast of Raleigh, the sheriff's office said.

Baker said there was a series of calls Thursday night in the area where the deputy was found shot.

“We are working on trying to develop some concrete leads to who is responsible but following one of those calls, he had the occasion to come down this road, and we believe he may have come into contact with someone and got out of his car to check on that situation, suspicious activity,” the sheriff said.

"The dog was still inside the vehicle which tells me, tells us, that what he got out and apparently to him at that time didn’t appear to be any sort of a threat," he said, adding that Byrd did not call for backup before he was shot.

"There’s reason to believe that following one of the calls he responded to that he was somewhere in this area typing his notes on the computer and that is common for our patrol officers. Once they clear a call they put their notes in right then and there if they have the time," Baker said.

He said investigators are not sure how long it was between when Byrd was shot and when deputies found him. He said they are using video from Byrd's car to try to figure out what happened.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/cha...lled-overnight
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

$100K reward offered for information about who killed Wake County deputy Ned Byrd

By Joel Brown and Josh Chapin
    WTVD News

RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- Four days into the manhunt for the killer of Wake County deputy Ned Byrd, the Wake County commissioners' meeting got off to a somber start Monday morning.

"I think, Sheriff Baker, it's only appropriate that we have a moment of silence--if we could all bow our heads."

At Monday's Wake County commissioners' meeting, Sheriff Gerald Baker announced a $100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the person who shot and killed Byrd.

The sheriff told ABC11 that he is pushing county commissioners to add even more money to the reward from county coffers.

Orange County Sheriff Charles Blackwood, the president of the North Carolina Sheriff's Association, which is funding the reward, said they've never offered a reward like this.

"It's been tough, but it's been a lot of reflection on why we do what we do, the importance of what we do, the importance of looking out for each other," Blackwood said. "We want everyone else wearing a badge to know we care and we're concerned and we're taking this very serious."

As commissioners joined the sheriff's office in grieving the first Wake County deputy shot and killed in the line of duty in nearly two decades--investigators continued combing for clues at the scene of the crime in eastern Wake County.

New video from Battle Bridge Road and Auburn Knightdale Road showed Battle Bridge still closed with crime scene tape as the mobile crime lab continued to loom over the scene where the gunman opened fire on Byrd.

Byrd was shot and killed in the line of duty Thursday night. The SBI and FBI are looking over dashcam and surveillance videos from a business nearby.

On Monday, authorities released images of a white truck that may be connected to the case.

The sheriff's office showed the images that display a truck thought to be a Chevrolet Colorado or a GMC Canyon.

It was seen on Battle Bridge Road, near Auburn Knightdale Road where Byrd was killed.

James Johnson, a retired New York police officer now living in the Triangle, worked in narcotics and the anti-gang unit. He said it's not surprising that the officers are going through the scene as closely as they are.

"Even finding the weapon--even as they extract the rounds, every gun has a certain rifling," Johnson said. "So when it flies out, it spins a certain way so they identified a weapon through that."

He said investigators need to canvass the area for shell casings, anyone who may have heard shots, cameras, etc. And he added that it's important to keep the scene from being contaminated.

"One may think that they didn't find enough evidence but it's better, I would say. They want to be as thorough as possible, they're looking for shells, they're looking for rounds--anything," Johnson said. "It is imperative we find who did this, I'm so sick to my stomach about the officers being killed, my heart goes out to their families. It is imperative we catch this person because we want to show people they can't get away with this."

Baker mentioned getting help from the FBI and SBI.

They're also working to figure out a timeline with Byrd's latest locations and calls.

Baker has not confirmed whether they are looking for more than one suspect.

But he did say the department is working to piece things together and they feel this loss as a family.

"Sometimes it happens in a day or so, sometimes it doesn't. But we're on it and we're going to be on it until that day comes," Baker said. "It's tough, but we're going to make and he's going to see us through. No questions about that. But I know that in the end, we'll get what we need to get who we're looking for."

Also Monday, the sheriff's office released the first pictures of the deputy's K-9 partner, Sasha--who was unharmed by the shooting and was found sitting alone in Byrd's patrol car.

The sheriff addressed county commissioners with an update on the round-the-clock investigation, still shaken by the killing of one of his own.

"This is not a job. It's commitment to ... and so when these things happen, it just leaves you speechless," Baker said.

Blackwood said he and the sheriff's association are doing all they can to support Baker's office.

"Anything we can do to bring the assailant, the one who murdered our deputy, the Wake County deputy to justice, is well worth whatever we spend," Blackwood said. "We really, really, really think about the families that are affected by these last killings and assaults by law enforcement. It would be hard for me to leave that crime scene if that were my sergeant, or if that were my lieutenant, I would want to stay there until it's closed."

Meanwhile, the sheriff's office said funeral arrangements are set for Byrd.

Visitation will take place on Thursday from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Mitchell Funeral Home, 7209 Glenwood Ave., in Raleigh. The funeral will take place Friday at 11 a.m., at Providence Baptist Church, 6339 Glenwood Ave., in Raleigh.

Anyone with information on this case is urged to please contact the Wake County Sheriff's Office at (919) 306-6931 or (919) 306-7748.

https://abc11.com/deputy-killed-ned-...fice/12126926/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Man charged with murder of Wake County Sheriff’s deputy

Court documents reveal Arturo Marin-Sotelo, 29, was arrested and charged with murder in the death of Wake County Deputy Ned Byrd

By WXII12.com Web Staff

WAKE COUNTY, N.C. — A man is charged with murder in the death of a Wake County Sheriff’s deputy.

Watch: Man Charged With Murder

Court documents reveal Arturo Marin-Sotelo was arrested and charged with murder in the death of Wake County Deputy Ned Byrd.

Deputy Ned Byrd was found in a rural area on Battle Bridge Road in Wake County, having suffered multiple gunshot wounds.

Wake County Sheriff Gerald Baker said that Byrd did not radio for backup, nor did he request help after he was shot.

Byrd's K-9 was found still in the deputy's vehicle, leading officials to believe he was caught off-guard when he was shot.

Byrd was a 13-year veteran of the Wake County Sheriff's Office and served as a member of the K-9 unit for five years.

https://www.wxii12.com/article/wake-...otelo/40910412

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

More Info.

Man charged in Wake County deputy murder appears before judge

By WITN Web Team

WAKE COUNTY, N.C. (WITN) - Authorities say they expect to make more arrests in the death of a Wake County deputy.

So far, Arturo Marin-Sotelo has been charged with the murder of Deputy Ned Byrd, according to the man’s arrest warrant.

Marin-Sotelo and Alder Alfonso Marin were taken into custody Tuesday in Burke County, west of Wake County, for questioning in the killing of Byrd.

Wednesday night, multiple sources told WRAL News that a truck connected to the killing of a Wake County deputy was located and picked up in Winston-Salem.

The truck, which was reported to be white by police, was said to have been painted red before being picked up and taken back to Wake County.

The truck was seen by a WRAL crew going into the Wake County Detention Center Wednesday night before it was taken elsewhere.

The 29-year-old suspect made his first court appearance Thursday afternoon at the Wake County Courthouse.

A judge appointed a capital defender for Marin-Sotelo, ordered him held without bond, and set September 8th as his next court date.

During a noon news conference, Sheriff Gerald Baker said the arrest came after around-the-clock work.

“We are not going to stop until we bring these individuals to justice,” said Baker. “We ask for your patience. We don’t want to jeopardize our investigation.”

The sheriff confirmed that they have recovered the truck and said future arrests are expected.

The 48-year-old deputy was found dead around 1:00 a.m. last Friday in the southeastern part of Wake County. Officials believe the deputy had been shot several hours earlier.

Visitation for Byrd’s family will be from 3 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Mitchell Funeral Home in Raleigh. His funeral service is set for Friday.

https://www.witn.com/2022/08/18/truc...d-sources-say/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Two brothers indicted for murder of Wake County deputy

By WITN Web Team

WAKE COUNTY, N.C. (WITN) - Two brothers have been indicted for the murder of Wake County Deputy Ned Byrd.

Arturo Marin-Sotelo faced a judge in Wake County last week, and now has been indicted, along with his brother Alder, on first-degree murder charges.

The brothers were taken into custody in Burke County last week for questioning in the killing of Byrd.

The 48-year-old deputy was found dead around 1:00 a.m. Friday, August 12th in the southeastern part of Wake County. Officials believe the deputy had been shot several hours earlier.

A funeral was held for Byrd last Friday at Providence Baptist Church in Raleigh.

Alder Marin-Sotelo is being held in Forsyth County on a federal detainer before he is transferred to Wake County.

https://www.wbtv.com/2022/08/23/two-...county-deputy/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

3rd brother of men accused of killing Wake Deputy Ned Byrd charged with ammo offense; 2nd brother appears in court

By Kathryn Hubbard and Kayla Morton
    WNCN News

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (WNCN) - A third brother of the two men charged with killing a Wake County deputy was arraigned in federal court Wednesday with his brother, Alder Alfonso Marin-Sotelo.

The first brother, Arturo, was arraigned in Wake County courtroom last Thursday.

After being officially indicted Tuesday for first-degree murder of Wake County Deputy Ned Byrd, Alder Alfonso Marin-Sotelo appeared in federal court in Winston-Salem for 13 minutes on Wednesday, before his brother, Rolando.

According to the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office, Rolando Marin-Sotelo, 18, was detained Aug. 17 by the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office– and has remained in the Forsyth County Jail under no bond.

CBS 17′s sister station FOX 8 confirms Alder Alfonso is being held on a detainer and is in custody with Rolando Marin-Sotelo for the deputy’s murder. Rolando has not been charged in the deputy’s murder.

Alder Alfonso appeared in front of a judge in relation to charges regarding an incident that happened in Forsyth County in July 2021. He was found to be an illegal immigrant in the United States also in possession of a weapon, FOX 8 confirms.

Alder Alfonso officially waived his right to a preliminary and detention hearing and his indictment in this case goes to a grand jury next week.

He was also previously charged with the murder of Byrd Thursday, but had not been served due to being in federal custody in Burke County, Wake County District Attorney Lorrin Freeman said – that Wake County Sheriff Gerald Baker also confirmed.

Furthermore, Arturo, 29, was indicted last Thursday and arrested and charged with felony murder, according to court documents served one week ago.

Both Alder and Rolando waived their right to have preliminary and detention hearings.

https://www.wect.com/2022/08/25/3rd-...appears-court/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

ICE confirms suspected cop killers are illegal immigrants

The Department of Homeland Security under Alejandro Mayorkas has made significant use of parole to release illegal immigrants into the U.S. interior while they await their court date

By Ben Whedon
    Just The News

Immigration and Customs Enforcement has confirmed that Mexican brothers suspected of killing a North Carolina sheriff's deputy are illegal immigrants.

Alder Alfonso Marin Sotelo, 25, Arturo Marin Sotelo, 29, and Rolando Marin Sotelo, 18, all entered the country illegally, according to the Washington Times.

Alfonso and Arturo face charges of murdering North Carolina Sheriff's Deputy Ned Byrd, 48, on Aug. 11 in Raleigh. Rolando has not been charged in connection with Byrd's death, but he does face a charge for ammunition possession, per the outlet.

Arturo was caught in 2010 attempting to cross the border but authorities stopped him and sent him back to Mexico. He returned at an unknown date. Rolando was first caught in Arizona in 2019. He was subsequently deported and later reentered the country under a "parole" exemption, the Times noted.

The Department of Homeland Security under Alejandro Mayorkas has made significant use of parole to release illegal immigrants into the U.S. interior while they await their court date. At least 120,600 illegal migrants were released from Customs and Border Protection custody under this rule as of May.

Alder received a citation in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, in 2021 for illegal possession of a firearm, but authorities dropped the case when he twice failed to appear in court, the Washington Times reported.

Amid record migration figures, the Biden administration has faced intense scrutiny for its lax approach to border enforcement. Public pressure and a further migration surge ultimately resulted in the White House quietly ordering the continued construction of the border wall, former President Donald Trump's signature project which Democrats firmly resisted.

Advocates for border security condemned the lax enforcement of the law at the southern border following the revelation of the Sotelos' immigration status.

“The Sotelo brothers should have never been in America in the first place and should have had ICE detainers placed on them through 287(g) programs when previously encountered by police,” Americans for Legal Immigration PAC President William Gheen told the Times.

https://justthenews.com/government/c...gal-immigrants

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Family Of Murdered Wake County Deputy Claims Sheriff Retaliated Against Deputies Who Helped Them

By Holly Matkin
    The Police Tribune

Raleigh, NC – The family of murdered Wake County Deputy Ned Byrd has accused the sheriff of handling the slain deputy’s funeral and the investigation into his death with callousness and indifference and alleged he retaliated against the deputies who helped them in the wake of the deadly shooting by reassigning and demoting them.

Deputy Byrd, 48, was fatally shot multiple times while out on patrol on Aug. 11.

His fellow deputies found his partner, K9 Sasha, unharmed and sitting alone in their patrol SUV when they arrived at the scene of the attack.

The alleged gunmen, brothers Arturo Marin-Sotelo and Alder Alphonso Marin, were arrested in Burke County on Aug. 18 and have been charged with Deputy Byrd’s murder, WTVD reported.

Both suspects are illegal immigrants who came into the U.S. via the southern border.

Deputy Byrd, a U.S. Air Force veteran, served the WCSO for 13 years, according to the Officer Down Memorial Page.

Deputy Byrd’s family held a press conference on Saturday to discuss Wake County Sheriff Gerald Baker’s handling of the Aug. 11 shooting investigation, as well as decisions he made in its wake, WRAL reported.

According to sheriff’s office records, three of Deputy Byrd’s fellow WCSO K9 deputies were transferred out of the specialized K9 Unit in the weeks after his murder.

One deputy was reassigned as a school resource officer and another was reassigned to the Tactical Response Team, WRAL reported.

WCSO K9 Deputy Devin Richardson was pulled from the unit and reassigned to the jail facility as a detention officer – a move that many have claimed is widely understood to be a demotion, according to the news outlet.

Other deputies at the WCSO said Deputy Richardson had not asked for the transfer and that he was devastated over being pulled from the K9 Unit.

Deputy Richardson, a close friend of Deputy Byrd, helped the slain hero’s family settle in after they traveled to Raleigh in the wake of his death, WRAL reported.

Although the sheriff is the one who typically takes the flag draping the coffin and presents it to the family, Deputy Byrd’s family asked Deputy Richardson to perform the honor.

Deputy Byrd’s family said they believe Sheriff Baker felt slighted and that he demoted Deputy Richard in retaliation.

“I chose for it not to be him because he wasn’t up front and center with me when I got here,” the slain deputy’s sister, Mignon Perkins, told WRAL. “It was the K9 unit that was by my side. I chose one of them. I think he feels disrespected, but I don’t care.”

Sheriff Baker did not provide details regarding the reassignments, but said he was doing what was best for the department, WRAL reported.

“…reassignments have taken place and result from the needs of this office in serving this county,” the sheriff said in a written statement. “Additionally, reassignments broaden the experiences of deputies as they advance in their law enforcement careers.”

He refused to address questions about why specific deputies were reassigned.

“As to the decision regarding specific officers, as you are well aware, this would violate North Carolina General Statute provisions protecting personnel privacy,” Sheriff Baker told WRAL. “No further comment regarding this matter. Thank you for your inquiry.”

The funeral home that prepared Deputy Byrd’s body for burial said they received paperwork from the WCSO instructing them to return the murdered deputy’s uniform, nameplate, and various other sheriff’s office property.

“You can cut the pants and shirt if needed,” a handwritten note on the directive read.

Perkins was outraged over the request.

“This office requested to have all his uniform back. Requested that we cut it off of him before he goes to be cremated,” she told WRAL. “Including his brass. Everything.”

Sheriff Baker ultimately backtracked on the directive, thereby permitting Deputy Byrd’s uniform to remain on his body, and gave the slain deputy’s personal items to his family.

Deputy Byrd’s family has also demanded to know why Sheriff Baker turned down offers from at least three Wake County agencies who offered to help out so more deputies would be able to attend Deputy Byrd’s funeral, WRAL reported.

“Why did you deny outside agencies assistance to allow any members to attend a funeral and say goodbye?” the murdered deputy’s uncle, Walter Penny, asked during the press conference. “Why did the men and women who were on the scene on that horrible night not have one work day off to grieve?”

Sheriff Baker did not immediately respond to WRAL’s request for comment following the family’s press conference on Saturday, but he did release a statement one day earlier.

“The family of Deputy Ned Byrd and his memory have, throughout this tragic ordeal, been treated with the utmost respect by me and this office,” the sheriff said at the time.

“We, alongside multiple law enforcement agencies, have worked tirelessly to bring the murderers to justice, preserve the integrity in criminal investigation, and will continue to do so in preparing this case for prosecution,” he added.

Sheriff Baker lost the recent Democratic primary and will wrap up his term in December, WRAL reported.

Multiple other former WCSO employees have sued for wrongful termination during Sheriff Baker’s tenure, according to the news outlet.

One lawsuit was ultimately dismissed, another settled for monetary compensation, and a third lawsuit filed by two deputies was still pending.

Meanwhile, U.S. Senator Thom Tillis (R-NC) and Rep. Ted Budd (R-NC) have demanded that Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas provide details about the illegal immigrants accused of murdering the veteran deputy, Breitbart reported.

They have also asked DHS to hand over information on the suspects’ 18-year-old brother, Rolando Marin Sotelo, who was arrested on an illegal firearm possession charge.

Like his brothers, he is also an illegal immigrant, Breitbart reported.

“In light of the serious nature of this matter, we request that you transmit to our offices the alien files and all relevant and pertinent information for the following individuals: Arturo Marin Sotelo, Alder Alfonso Marin Sotelo, Rolando Marin-Sotelo,” Budd and Tillis told Mayorkas.

“We are deeply concerned by the public reporting by local news media that is currently available about these individuals,” they said. “We look forward to your swift response to our concerns as we seek answers for why this heinous crime was committed and whether it could have been prevented by immigration enforcement.”

https://policetribune.com/family-of-...o-helped-them/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

New warrants shed light on moments leading up to killing of Wake County deputy

By WITN Web Team

WAKE COUNTY, N.C. (WITN) - Newly released warrants are providing more insight and new details into the investigation of the murder of a Wake County deputy.

According to WRAL, the warrants say, Ned Byrd, a Wake County deputy, was on his way to K-9 training when he noticed a suspicious, light-colored truck. Byrd’s car video picked up the sound of 6 gunshots, and then the suspicious truck leaves the scene.

Arturo Marin-Sotelo, 29, and his brother Alder Marin, 25, were charged with Byrd's murder. However, one brother is now putting blame on the other for Byrd’s death.

Marin-Sotelo told investigators that he was in a field hunting deer when he heard shots from the vicinity of where his brother, Marin, was parking his truck. According to Marin-Sotelo, the brothers rode together to hunt deer off Battle Bridge Road, and he had an AK-47. While in the field, he saw a police vehicle pull up near the truck while Marin was still inside. Marin-Sotelo said he then heard gunshots and saw the truck drive away.

Marin-Sotelo said his brother later told him that a police officer had been shot.

Both brothers’ cell phones pinged in the vicinity of the crime scene at the time, from 10:47 p.m. to 11:14 p.m. on Aug. 11. Marin-Sotelo’s phone then went back to 19 South Fisher St. in Raleigh.

Checking call records and texts, the warrant shows the two phones on the scene shared two calls between each other on July 25, then had 40 contacts between 4:45 p.m. on August 11 and the afternoon of August 12. Byrd was shot late on August 11.

According to the warrants, the Wake County Sheriff’s Office believes both suspects now have new phones and they were able to link those phones to the suspect’s movements after the shooting, from Fisher Street.

“It is very common for individuals who are involved in criminal activity such as a homicide or drug dealing,” says the warrant. “Will power off a cellular device to avoid being tracked”

Law enforcement was watching the phones and suspects move around Wake County on Aug. 15 and 16, then travel west to Morganton, where the traffic stop happened.

From the phones, investigators ID’d a Winston-Salem address that linked to Rolando Marin, their brother.

Rolando was pulled over and found with pot, a gun, and cash. He told investigators that his brother Marin-Sotelo paid him $300 for a Chevy Colorado – the vehicle believed to be seen on Byrd’s dash cam.

Rolando says his brothers sold that truck to someone known as Beto on Aug. 16

Marin-Sotelo said the truck belonged to Marin.

https://www.wbtv.com/2022/09/22/new-...county-deputy/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information