Thread: Charles Spraberry Sentenced to LWOP in 2022 TX Slaying of John Thomas, Jr. and Jennifer Archer

Charles Spraberry Sentenced to LWOP in 2022 TX Slaying of John Thomas, Jr. and Jennifer Archer

March 25, 2022

Person of Interest in Atlanta Texas Double Homicide Arrested in Louisiana

By Jeff Easterling
    Texarkana FYI

Charles Sprayberry is a person of interest in a double homicide investigation in Cass County where two bodies were found in a burned-out Camper trailer on March 12.

Deputies had been called to the trailer around 8:00 pm and the fire was already out. The bodies were found in separate areas of the camper.

Autopsies were ordered and the results indicate the people had been shot and killed before the fire. The bodies found were a male and a female.

The remains have still not been positively identified. Officials are waiting for DNA comparisons.

Sprayberry allegedly stole a car from a woman at Whiskey River Country in Texarkana, Arkansas on March 19. From Texarkana, he traveled to South Louisiana where the car was recovered in Beauregard Parish, Louisiana.

After a two-day manhunt, Sprayberry was captured. He will be extradited to Cass County to face multiple charges.

Sprayberry was released from the Cass County jail on February 24 and is currently on a $5,000 bond for a sexual assault charge.

This investigation is ongoing, anyone with information should contact the Cass County Sheriff’s Office at (903) 756-7511.

Sprayberry faces additional charges in Cass County, Texas, and in Miller County, Arkansas.

https://texarkanafyi.com/person-of-i...-in-louisiana/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Manhunt ongoing in East Texas for escaped inmate, suspect in double homicide

By Khadeeja Umana
    ABC News

A manhunt is underway in East Texas for an escaped inmate who used a handmade knife to assault a correctional officer and flee.

The active search is ongoing in Cass County for Charles Spraberry after he escaped from jail around 8 p.m. Monday night. Spraberry is the suspect in a double homicide where two bodies were found in a burned camper trailer, according to KLTV.

"Spraberry is considered armed and dangerous," said Ore City police. "Spraberry was in custody on charges of capital murder in the deaths of two persons."

The escapee is also accused of multiple felony charges including sexual assault, assault by strangulation, assault with a deadly weapon, felon in possession of a firearm, and kidnapping, according to the Grayson County Sheriff's Office.

Authorities said anyone who has information on the escaped inmate's whereabouts should not approach him and should call 911 immediately.

https://www.kxxv.com/hometown/texas/...ouble-homicide
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Escaped inmate from Cass County captured in Louisiana after chase

By KLTV Digital Media Staff

CADDO PARRISH, LA (KLTV) - Cass County Judge Travis Ransom reports the inmate who escaped custody from the Cass County Jail Monday night has been apprehended in Caddo Parish, Louisiana and is in custody.

Charles Spraberry, 42, is a person of interest in a double homicide in Atlanta, Texas, where two bodies were found in a burned camper trailer.

Deputies say Spraberry broke out of jail just before 8 p.m. Monday night. We’re told he used a handmade knife to break free. According to law enforcement, he jumped a male jailer and made his way to the booking area at the front of the jail. He then forced a female jailer to open the door to the outside, and then he ran out of the jail when police arrived.

According to the Caddo Parish Sheriff’s Office, Spraberry was arrested following a chase on LA 169 south of Moringsport. The Facebook post states Spraberry and a woman who was in the car with him were arrested at 8:01 a.m. They will be booked into the Caddo Correctional Center.

According to the Cass County Sheriff’s Office, Spraberry was driving a Cadillac SUV he stole from an unoccupied home off of Highway 8, between Linden and Red Hill.

Cass County Judge Travis Ransom says multiple tips were received about potential sightings of Spraberry.

Spraberry will be charged with escape, burglary, theft of property and assault of a public servant.

Spraberry has previous charges of sexual assault, assault by strangulation, assault with a deadly weapon, felon in possession of a firearm and kidnapping. He is a person of interest in an ongoing investigation into a double homicide in Cass County.

https://www.kwtx.com/2022/08/31/esca...a-after-chase/

Cass County inmate being held on $1.1M bail after August escape

Charles Spraberry’s alleged accomplice wanted by Sheriff’s Office

By Stevon Gamble
    Texarkana Gazette

LINDEN, Texas -- An inmate who injured a guard during an escape is back in Cass County custody, but the woman accused of aiding his flight remains at large.

Charles Obin Spraberry, 44, was returned to Cass County on Friday, Sheriff Larry Rowe said Wednesday afternoon. Spraberry had been held at Caddo Correctional Center in Shreveport since his arrest by Caddo Parish deputies Aug. 30 near Mooringsport, Louisiana, about 40 southeast of Linden.

Spraberry is charged with first-degree felony escape, first-degree burglary of a habitation, assault on a public servant, unauthorized use of a vehicle and theft of a firearm. Total bail is $1.1 million.

Shea Smith, 37, is accused of helping Spraberry in his escape. She is wanted on warrants of theft, burglary and aiding a felon, Rowe said.

"We've been getting leads on her," the sheriff said, adding that Smith is believed to still be in the Cass County area.

Spraberry fled from the jail Aug. 29 after allegedly attacking a male guard with a homemade knife and forcing a female guard to open a door to the outside, according to earlier reports. The male jailer needed three stitches to close the wound to his face.

Based on information called in to the Sheriff's Office, deputies focused their search for Spraberry on a section of state Highway 8 between Linden and Red Hill.

About midnight Tuesday, Spraberry allegedly stole at Cadillac SUV from an unoccupied house in the search area. The owner of the house is in a nursing home, Rowe said.

Upon learning of the theft, the Sheriff's Office informed other agencies to be on the lookout for Spraberry and the SUV. Caddo Parish deputies located him in the SUV near Mooringsport. The vehicle's onboard technology was used to disable the Cadillac, allowing officers to apprehend Spraberry.

Smith was a passenger in the SUV. She was arrested by Caddo deputies on a charge of possession of stolen property and later released after posting bail.

Spraberry also is a person of interest in the deaths of two people whose charred remains were discovered March 13 in Cass County. He was arrested several days later in DeRidder, Louisiana, by Beaureagard Parish Sheriff's Office on unrelated charges and extradited to Cass County.

The bodies were found in a burned-out camper off County Road 4667, near Bivins, Texas. They were burned so badly it was initially impossible to determine their genders or ages, Rowe said in an earlier Gazette article.

A crime lab in Mesquite, Texas, determined the bodies were a man and woman. The investigation into the deaths is ongoing.

https://www.texarkanagazette.com/new...1m-bail-after/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Cass County inmate accused of double killing charged with capital murder

By KLTV Digital Media Staff

TYLER, Texas (KLTV) - Charles Spraberry has now been charged with capital murder.

The charge was announced Thursday afternoon following an ongoing investigation by the Cass County Sheriff’s Office, as well as agents with the Texas Rangers and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Investigators say they have recovered what they believe is the gun Spraberry allegedly used in to murder John Thomas, Jr. and Jennifer Archer, who were found dead on March 11. It is alleged that Spraberry broke out of prison before shooting Thomas and Archer and setting fire to their camper.

Capital murder was added to the list of charges against Spraberry in connection with his previous escape from the Cass County Jail on August 29. He was captured on August 31 in Louisiana. Investigators said the charge was brought in light of evidence obtained from phone records, forensic evidence, witness statements and Spraberry’s own statement to law enforcement.

Pertaining to his escape, Spraberry is charged with escape, burglary, theft of property and assault of a public servant. He has previous charges of sexual assault, assault by strangulation, assault with a deadly weapon, felon in possession of a firearm and kidnapping.

https://www.kltv.com/2022/10/13/cass...outputType=amp
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Related:

Cass County Jail issued notice of non-compliance in relation to escaped inmate

By Sage Sowela
    KETK News

CASS COUNTY, Texas (KETK) — The Cass County Jail was issued a notice of non-compliance by the Texas Commission of Jail Standards in September in connection with an inmate who excaped the facility on Aug. 29.

Charles Spraberry, 44, was a person of interest in a double homicide at the time of his escape. He was captured in Caddo Parish, Louisiana on Sept. 31.

The letter stated that Cass County Jail failed to comply with the minimum standards established and that “appropriate corrective measures must be initiated.”

The TCJS said that failure to take appropriate corrective action may cause a remedial order to be issued and enforced or other appropriate action taken.

Detailed in the report was how the now recaptured inmate, Spraberry, escaped the jail. According to the report, video surveillance shows that a “vestibule door” was left unsecured. When the jailer opened the cellblock door, the inmate “assaulted the jailer and exited the vestibule.”

Spraberry ran down the hallway and was able to get into the booking area which then led him to the control/dispatch area through a third unsecured door.
    <aside>
    </aside>The inmate had a “shank” which he reportedly used to threaten three jail personnel into opening a door that went into a series of doors that were also allegedly not secured. He was allegedly able to escape the final area through an unsecured gate.

Jail administration will have to provide a corrective plan of action which includes training of all jail personnel regarding the security of all doors.

https://www.ketk.com/news/local-news...scaped-inmate/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Spraberry sentenced to life in prison for capital murder

By Daffney Dawson
    KSLA News

CASS COUNTY, Texas (KSLA) - On Tuesday, Dec. 6, Charles Spraberry pled guilty to capital murder for the deaths of John Thomas Jr. and Jennifer Archer.

Spraberry also pled to the additional charges of assault causing bodily injury - family violence by occlusion (strangulation), unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon, escape with a deadly weapon, and assault on a public servant.

Judge Bill Miller sentenced Spraberry to life without parole in the capital murder case. Miller also sentenced him to 25 years each on the assault – family violence by occlusion and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon charges, 40 years on the escape with a deadly weapon charge, and 10 years on the assault on a public servant charge.

Thomas and Archer were found dead on March 11, 2022. They had both been shot and the camper where Thomas lived was burned to the ground with both victims inside. Officers were able to recover the weapon that was believed to have been used in the murders. Forensic testing later confirmed the weapon was used in the murders.

After sentencing, one of Thomas’ sisters made the following statement:

“I don’t want the end of my brother’s life here on earth to be remembered as just this horrific act of violence…but of the grace and mercy I know God, and even Johnny, are up in Heaven extending to you…and as hard as it is for my human side to say, my heart forgives you.”

District Attorney Courtney Shelton also made a statement:

“I am in awe of the civility that both families have shown during this time. Both the Thomases and the Archers have lost a family member to one of the most brutal acts of violence, yet they all continue to seek peace through God, and they trusted law enforcement and the judicial system to prevail.”

https://www.kplctv.com/2022/12/06/sp...apital-murder/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information