Thread: Makallie Durham Charged With Capital Murder In 2022 MS Murder Of 2 Year Old Toddler

Makallie Durham Charged With Capital Murder In 2022 MS Murder Of 2 Year Old Toddler

Babysitter being charged with capital murder in death of two year old

Joey Barnes

ALCORN COUNTY, Miss. (WCBI) – A babysitter has been charged with capital murder in the abuse death of a two-year-old little boy.

23-year-old Makallie Durham of Iuka is also facing a felony child abuse charge.

Alcorn County deputies were called to a home on County Road 380 on the night of September 13th.

Law enforcement found an unresponsive two-year-old boy and an 11-month-old little girl.

Both children were injured and eventually taken to Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital in Memphis.

The little boy died today. The little girl is stable at the hospital.

Investigators say Durham was babysitting the children at the time they were injured.

She remains in jail.

https://www.wcbi.com/babysitter-bein...-two-year-old/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Mississippi babysitter indicted for allegedly beating 2-year-old to death with infant sister in the home

By Jerry Lambe
    Law & Crime

A 23-year-old babysitter in Mississippi already facing a capital murder charge for allegedly killing a 2-year-old boy in her care last year has been indicted on a swath of new felony criminal charges in connection with the death and abuse of the child and his younger sister.

In addition to one count of capital murder, a grand jury in Alcorn County has indicted Makallie E. Durham on four counts of child abuse over the September 2022 incident that left an 11-month-old girl severely injured and her 2-year-old brother dead, authorities confirmed to Law&Crime.

According to a copy of the indictment, the charges alleged that Durham abused the children over the course of several days, beginning on Sept. 9, 2022.

Two of the child abuse counts allege that Durham on both Sept. 9 and Sept. 12 “intentionally” caused bodily harm to the 2-year-old by striking him “in the face or head.” The remaining two abuse counts allege that Durham similarly struck the boy’s younger sister in the face or head on Sept. 11 and Sept. 12.

Durham had originally been charged with one count each of capital murder and felony child abuse.

As previously reported by Law&Crime, Alcorn County sheriff’s deputies and emergency medical personnel at approximately 9 p.m. on Sept. 13 responded to a call regarding an unresponsive child at a residence located in the 300 block of County Road in Corinth, which is about 100 miles east of Memphis, Tennessee.

Responding deputies say they discovered a 2-year-old boy who was determined to be unresponsive and appeared to have multiple bruises and marks on his body. He was immediately transported by ambulance to Magnolia Regional Hospital, the agency said.

Also in the house, according to the ACSO, was an 11-month-old baby girl who was found suffering from various unidentified injuries. The girl was also initially transported to Magnolia Regional. Later, both children were transferred to Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee.

Investigators were called to the scene of the crime and discovered that the boy and girl were being watched by Durham that evening. The babysitter was found to have an outstanding misdemeanor warrant, the ACSO said, and was taken into custody by deputies at that point.

On Sept. 15, 2022, two days after the arrest, law enforcement was notified that the toddler boy had succumbed to his injuries. The boy’s younger sister was listed as being in stable condition at the time of his death.

If convicted on the capital murder charge, Durham faces a maximum punishment of life in prison or the death penalty. She is being represented in the matter by Clay Nails and Will Bristow of the public defender’s office. The office did not immediately respond to a message from Law&Crime.

https://lawandcrime.com/crime/missis...r-in-the-home/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information