Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Patrick Henry Murphy, Jr. - Texas Death Row

I’m not surprised after the Buffalo Mass Shooting. Imagine the outrage that’s going to occur when the antis try to explain why, in their deluded minds, the shooter doesn’t deserve the federal death penalty.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Non of this means anything. Paxton can set all the dates he wants but that still doesn’t excuse the fact that the TCCA is handing out stay after and stay and pushing inmates to have off and on execution dates like they have been for the past six years. Aggression would be the legislature and Abbott stripping the TCCA from having draconian power. Paxton is doing his job which is upholding the rule of law.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsicles View Post
    Execution date requested for Murphy by AG Ken Paxton

And he's only using this power to go after cop killers for votes. Man this whole state doesn't care about the DP anymore.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Repealing Article 11.071 would be a good start.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Ken Paxton offers to take over Dallas death penalty case, doesn’t inform DA John Creuzot

The Texas attorney general urged a Dallas judge to set an execution date for Texas Seven member Patrick Murphy

By Krista M. Torralva
    The Dallas Morning News

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton urged a Dallas judge in a letter to schedule an execution date for one of the infamous Texas Seven who killed an Irving police officer. Paxton also offered to replace Dallas County District Attorney John Creuzot in the case.

Patrick Murphy was sentenced to death for the slaying of Aubrey Hawkins on Christmas Eve 2000 while he and six other prison escapees were on the run.

Murphy exhausted his appeals in June 2020 but an execution date has not been set. The 68-year-old Buddhist still has a pending civil lawsuit against the Texas Department of Criminal Justice over his right to a spiritual advisor in the holding room before his execution.

“If Dallas County District Attorney John Creuzot chooses not to participate in this proceeding, the undersigned is willing to step in to represent the State,” wrote Edward Marshall, chief of AG’s criminal appeals division, in the letter dated July 8.

The AG’s office did not respond to questions from The Dallas Morning News.

Creuzot said he had not seen the letter until after he was asked about it by The News. He said the AG’s office did not consult with his office about setting an execution date or offering to take over the case. Creuzot denied he refused to participate in the case.

“The DA’s Office has done its job. We have tried the case and followed up on appeal,” Creuzot said. “We continue to represent the state in post-conviction litigation in this case.”

Typically, DAs file a motion letting the judge know the appeals process has finished and an execution date can be set. But the law does not require a motion.

Creuzot has not filed a motion in Murphy’s case, court records show.

It’s unusual for the AG’s office to involve itself, said John Tatum, a lawyer who works on death row appeals cases, including in Dallas County. Tatum previously represented Murphy in his state appeals but no longer represents him. The AG’s office is allowed to assist local prosecutors, but only at the request of a district attorney.

“The AG sometimes steps in in smaller counties, and they’ve been more aggressive about moving death penalty cases,” Tatum said. “Because they have a death penalty section, sometimes county district attorneys default to them. I’ve never known Dallas to do that.”

Creuzot’s office has not pursued the death penalty for anyone since he was sworn into office in 2019, prompting speculation the Democrat opposes the death penalty.

Creuzot rejected that theory in November. In an interview with The News before the start of the capital murder trial against accused serial killer Billy Chemirmir, Creuzot said he strictly evaluates whether a person poses a danger to society behind bars.

By law, Texas juries must find that a person is likely to commit violence “that would constitute a continuing threat to society” to deliver a death sentence.

Murphy’s appeals

From death row, Murphy argued all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court that the prison system violated his religious rights by not allowing him to have a Buddhist advisor in the execution chamber.

The department only provided on-staff Christian and Muslim clerics at the time and prohibited non-prison employees in the execution chamber.

The Supreme Court ruled TDCJ discriminated against Murphy and had to either provide him a Buddhist advisor or eliminate spiritual advisors for all faiths. TDCJ initially did the latter but later scrapped that plan.

Murphy argues the policy change is still unfair because spiritual advisors not employed by TDCJ are limited to a one-hour visitation on execution days. Employed clerics are allowed greater access, according to Murphy’s court filings.

TDCJ “intends to accommodate the religious requests in Murphy’s lawsuit,” Marshall wrote in the AG office’s letter.

Marshall offered several dates in December and January for the execution. Mays had not set a date as of Thursday.

Murphy was sentenced to death under Texas’ law of parties, which allows juries to find a person guilty of capital murder even if they weren’t the triggerman so long as the result “should have been anticipated.” Murphy was the lookout and getaway driver in the fatal robbery, according to testimony from George Rivas, who was the ringleader. Before his escape, Murphy was serving a 50-year sentence for sexual assault.

Murphy is one of only two Texas Seven members still alive.

Four were executed and one committed suicide to evade arrest. Another, Randy Halprin, is seeking a new trial because he says the judge over his trial, Vickers Cunningham, was prejudiced against him because he is Jewish. In October, Mays recommended to a higher court that Halprin get a new trial. A ruling from the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals is still pending.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cour...-john-creuzot/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

On July 19, Murphy filed his brief in opposition to AG Paxton’s motion to set his execution date.

https://obpublicaccess.dallascounty....rideFormat=PDF
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread Information