Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Patrick Henry Murphy, Jr. - Texas Death Row

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Actually, Murphy was MORE dilatory than Ray. The court responds to hissy fits about Ray by doing this, yet all they did was violate Ray's rights posthumously. I'd expect this flip-flop from the milquetoast Roberts, but shame on the other 2 conservatives.
    I think SCOTUS got blindsided by Ray and had a little more time to think things through the second time around. Murphy, although his filing to the courts came eight days before, had been attempting to resolve the matter with TDoC for a month and was getting crickets to his question regarding any Buddhists employed by the state prisons, only then turning to litigation.

Quote Originally Posted by joe_con View Post
    All other states have LWOP(except maybe Alaska) as does Texas. Texas does have the option to sentence a person to LWOP or Death that is the whole purpose of the sentencing phrase. I just wonder if someone brings that constitutional challenge at some time. Personally I think last meals should be brought back to Texas. I support the death penalty, but not for Patrick Murphy. He was just a look out, four guys have already been executed for the death of Aubrey Hawkins. Far worse killers in Texas that are serving LWOP when they should be at the front of the line for the needle. Texas is just embarrassed that they escaped from the prison and that is what these executions are really about.
    LWOP is my baseline sentence for lookouts, but that he was an escapee serving a rape sentence and the person killed was an ambushed peace officer that is enough to steer me over to death.

The blindside theory is valid. However, Texas's protocol and policy has been public since 2012. And Murphy has been a Buddhist for 10 years. He's known the situation for 6/7 years. Ray knew for all of 2 weeks, since as Alabama's protocol is sealed. Murphy also filed 15 days after the TDCJ rejected his request. Ray filed 5 days after I believe. The TCCA even chastised Murphy's attorney for this long history of dilatory behavior in their denial of a stay.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Justice Kavanaugh made the situation crystal-clear in his concurrence with the majority decision of the Supreme Court. Boiled down, he said a DP state has to allow every kind of "spiritual advisor" into the death chamber or not permit any of them. Allowing some flavors and banning others violates the First Amendment.

IMO, every DP state should examine closely their execution protocol on this matter. I suspect that if a state tries to wiggle off the hook, by whatever means and/or double-talk in their execution protocol, the First Amendment violation can be invoked. Then the execution gets stayed, at the very least, or possibly commuted to LWOP if that state digs in its heels on the matter.

C'mon! How hard can it be to rewrite a DP protocol to conform with the simple rule Kavanaugh specified?

Not to do so is sheer idiocy on the part of the DP states.
    "Sorry for the delay, I got caught in traffic." — Rodney Scott Berget, South Dakota, October 29, 2018 — final words.

The problem is that Kavanaugh allowed Alabama to execute Ray without an imam. Inconsistency. It would be crystal clear if Kav hadn't allowed the exact opposite of what he wrote to occur in February. SCOTUS is consistent on everything except for the death penalty.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    The blindside theory is valid. However, Texas's protocol and policy has been public since 2012. And Murphy has been a Buddhist for 10 years. He's known the situation for 6/7 years. Ray knew for all of 2 weeks, since as Alabama's protocol is sealed. Murphy also filed 15 days after the TDCJ rejected his request. Ray filed 5 days after I believe. The TCCA even chastised Murphy's attorney for this long history of dilatory behavior in their denial of a stay.
    Murphy's attorneys spend 15 days trying to get an answer from TDCJ as to whether there was anyone employed by them who was a practicing Buddhist. The initial request, the rejected one about his regular spiritual advisor, was made promptly after the decision in Ray suggested that there was a meritorious claim to file, first seeking relief outside of litigation.

Senior Member Frequent Poster joe_con's Avatar
    Does anyone know when Murphy was officially sentenced to death? Not when he arrived on Texas Death Row.

The Texas Seven committed their capital crime on Christmas Eve, 2000.

Murphy was sentenced to death in Dallas County on November 20, 2003.
    "Sorry for the delay, I got caught in traffic." — Rodney Scott Berget, South Dakota, October 29, 2018 — final words.

Murphy's interview with CBS News weeks before his March 28, 2019 execution date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do5YEJBUPds
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

I'm pretty sure the Dallas County DA has to seek a new death warrant, and this is the current DA. Say goodbye to any executions in that county.

https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/sta...854529536?s=19

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    >personal items
    >"...as long as they needed whatever they stole"
    That doesn't sound right
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information