Thread: Inaccurate Representations Of The Death Penalty In Movies And TV Shows

Inaccurate Representations Of The Death Penalty In Movies And TV Shows

This a list of films and shows that show the death penalty but in the wrong way

Feel free to suggest more

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3

Drayton Sawyer is said to have been executed in Texas’ gas chamber after the previous

Texas has never had the gas chamber

Criminal Minds

Season 1: Serial Killers Jacob Dawes and his wife are electrocuted in a double execution in Florida.

Florida doesn’t use the electric chair after 1999 and doesn’t do double executions

Season 4: Serial Killer Cortland Bryce Ryan is held on death row and executed at Hawkesville Prison in New Canaan, Ohio.

Ohio death row inmates are held at Chillicothe Correctional Facility and executions are carried out at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility.

New Canaan, which is said to be near Cincinnati, is also not a real city

Season 7: Serial Killer Rodney Garrett is executed by firing squad at Gunter State Prison in Enid, Oklahoma

Oklahoma doesn’t use the firing squad and executions occur at the OSP in McAlester

Season 10: Serial Killer Greg Baylor is executed by lethal injection at a prison in Sierra Blanca, Texas a few months after his arrest

That would never happen and executions take place at the Huntsville Unit in Huntsville

The Chamber

Klansman Sam Cayhill is sentenced to death in 1967 and executed in Mississippi’s gas chamber in 1996.

All death sentences were commuted in the USA in 1972 and Mississippi outlawed the gas chamber before 1996
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Law Abiding Citizen - A dude actually being executed in Pennsylvania.

Also I believe with The Green Mile Louisiana still used hanging and not the chair at the time of the setting
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

You’re right Aaron.

The Green Mile takes place in 1935 and Louisiana adopted the electric chair in 1941. So that’s definitely an inaccuracy
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Dead Man Walking in Louisiana is the most realistic execution movie to date.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

True Crime with Clint Eastwood is also real. Calling off an execution after it began is to be determined.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Senior Member Member
    The Blacklist, which is a crappy show anyway, had Raymond Reddington go from conviction toward (stopped) execution in a matter of months.

SPOILER

They also later say Raymond Reddington is a woman pretending to be a man, and somehow nobody in prison ever noticed.

All of them outside of Pierrepoint(which I've watched two dozen times).

Common tropes for what they get wrong or are impossible.

For America
    A hanging in America breaks the neck. The appeals process is betrayed as a last-minute thing not a decades long soul sucking practice. Executions being conducted on time. Inmates being under 40 and fit at execution. Death Row inmates being emotional on their last day. Lethal injection drugs being switched in the injection room. Judiciary making timely rulings. Executions taking place a couple of years after the crime. Wrong methods.

Europe and Medieval
    Executioners being sadistic meaty hunks. Beheadings taking a single doubled handed arched swing. Hangings breaking the neck. Every execution being hanging or beheading.

Asia.
    Inmates being on their feet.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Thread Information