Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ronald Jeffrey Prible, Jr. - Texas Death Row

What is it specifically about the decision that you disagree with? The state's main argument wasn't that all the allegations were complete nonsense but Prible discovered them too late for it to be considered by the court.

Not a great argument when the only reason it was presented late was because you hid the evidence for years.

The state didnt exactly sound confident about achieving success on appeal either. Having the read the opinion, I can't remember the last time a judge was so brutal towards a trial prosecutor.
    Last edited by JLR; 05-21-2020 at 06:10 PM.

I don’t know all the details of this case, but I believe there was no physical evidence against him, that he was convicted based on jailhouse snitches. I find that appalling.

-Dawn

On June 12, 2020, the State of Texas filed an appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ci...s/ca5/20-70010

Senior Member Member
    I feel like Prible has a decent chance of his case going to the Supreme Court.

On December 6, 2021, oral argument will be heard in the State of Texas' appeal before the Fifth Circuit.

https://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/oral-ar.../Details/1485/

Senior Member Member
    Just to be clear. Pending the fifth circuit, both his conviction and sentence were
    Thrown out, not just the
    Sentence right?

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    The US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit has REVERSED the Federal District Court order, and REINSTATED Prible's conviction and death sentence.

https://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinion...-70010-CV0.pdf

Appeals court restores death sentence for family’s death

A federal appeals court on Monday restored the death sentence of a bank robber convicted of killing his best friend, his friend’s fiancée and their 3 children.

In a 32-page opinion, a 3-judge panel of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned a lower court ruling that would have freed Ronald Jeffery Prible Jr. if the state did not retry Prible within six months. The panel ruled Prible failed to raise issues sufficiently compelling to discredit his conviction and sentence.

A Harris County jury condemned Prible to death row in 2002 for killing Esteban “Steve" Herrera; Herrera’s fiancée, Nilda Tirado; Tirado’s 7-year-old daughter Rachel Elizabeth Cumpian; Herrera’s 7-year-old daughter Valerie; and the couple’s 22-month-old daughter Jade Herrera in 1999.

Testimony from the 2-week trial showed Prible shot Herrera, then raped and shot Tirado before setting her body on fire to hide DNA evidence. The children died from smoke inhalation from the resulting fire.

Herrera, described as Prible’s best friend and partner in crime, allegedly robbed banks with Prible and used the money to buy and sell drugs. The men wanted to make enough money to open a topless club.

However, prosecutors said Prible turned on Herrera after accusing him of stealing $250,000.

(source: Associated Press)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Yet another case lately where procedural technicalities are considered far more important than the actual merits of a case. After an absolute mountain of evidence of misconduct from the prosecutor come to light that severely undermines the case against Prible, it all gets ignored because Prible's initial lawyer was incompetent and didn't bother exploring or raising the claims despite there being evidence that he should do so.

Nothing about how the allegations of misconduct are wrong, unpersuasive or anything relating to the actual merits of the claim. Its all about how the claim was brought forward.

Exact same issue with Barry Jones. Evidence that totally undermined the case against him dismissed because his appeals lawyer was terrible and didn't do his job properly. Thomas basically said in his opinion, its all about getting it done rather than getting it right and its an attitude that will see innocent people executed or imprisoned. It can't not lead to that outcome.

“That no fact-finder could have found the prisoner guilty is not enough".

https://theintercept.com/2021/12/30/...supreme-court/

That's a genuine quote from the guy who argued for the state in the Barry Jones Oral Arguments. Its an absolutely terrifying statement to hear from anyone with the slightest modicum of power.

Is Ronald Prible innocent? I don't know the answer to that question but it bothers me that it doesn't seem to be the focus of the court or prosecutor.
    Last edited by JLR; 08-09-2022 at 07:27 PM.

The panel was made up of Judges Dennis (Clinton), Elrod (G.W. Bush) and Duncan (Trump).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information