Thread: Capital Murder Trial Delayed for Robert Mason Eckert III in 2021 TX Murder of Marco Matthew Gonzales

Capital Murder Trial Delayed for Robert Mason Eckert III in 2021 TX Murder of Marco Matthew Gonzales

Athens man accused in shooting, standoff now charged with capital murder

By KLTV Digital Media Staff

ANDERSON COUNTY, Texas (KLTV) - An Athens man accused of shooting someone to death and taking hostages has been given a new indictment by a grand jury.

According to court documents, an Anderson County grand jury is now charging Robert Mason Eckert III with capital murder in connection with the death of Marco Matthew Gonzales, 38, whom Eckert allegedly shot multiple times. Eckert is also accused of taking multiple people hostage inside a home immediately following the shooting which occurred on Dec. 9, 2021 at a residence on County Road 309 in Anderson County. Eckert later surrendered to the sheriff’s office.

Additional indictments against Eckert include five counts of aggravated kidnapping with a deadly weapon and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

https://www.kltv.com/2022/12/05/athe...outputType=amp
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Death penalty still on table for Athens man

By Willie Downs
    KLTV News

PALESTINE, Texas (KLTV) - The state is expected to come to a decision on pursuing the death penalty for an Athens man accused in a hostage situation which left a man dead in December of 2021.

Robert Mason Eckert III appeared in Judge Mark Calhoon’s court on Friday. During the hearing, it was decided he will return to court on March 27, and a decision on whether the death penalty will be pursued will be determined then.

Eckert is charged with capital murder in the death of Marco Matthew Gonzales, 38, whom Eckert allegedly shot multiple times. Eckert is also accused of taking multiple people hostage inside a home immediately following the shooting at a residence on County Road 309 in Anderson County.

https://www.kltv.com/2023/02/03/deat...le-athens-man/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Capital murder trial delayed for change of attorney

By Stuart Whitaker and Pennylynn Webb
    Palestine Herald-Press

The capital murder trial of Robert Mason Eckert III of Athens’ has been delayed due to a change of attorney.

According to court records, Eckert is accused of shooting Marco Matthew Gonzales multiple times, killing him and holding five other people in a home in Frankston at gunpoint.

Anderson County Deputies persuaded Eckert to release the hostages before he gave himself up at the scene without further incident.

Eckert was previously represented by court appointed attorney Jeff Herrington.

Herrington notified the court on Friday, Sept. 1 he was no longer able to represent Eckert because he was taking a job as the First Assistant District Attorney in Henderson County.

Attorney Mark Cargill was then appointed by the court to represent Eckert.

Friday, Sept. 5 the formal motion for Herrington’s withdrawal was filed and it was granted Monday, Sept. 25.

Eckert’s trial is currently set to begin Tuesday, Oct. 24 in the court of the Honorable Judge Mark Calhoon, 3rd Judicial District in the Anderson County Courthouse.

Eckert was arrested Dec. 9, 2021 after a standoff with multiple law enforcement agencies in Frankston.

An Anderson County Grand Jury indicted Eckert March 23, 2022 for the charges of murder, multiple charges of aggravated kidnapping with a deadly weapon and deadly conduct discharge of a firearm.

Calhoon arraigned Eckert on the charges April 25, 2022.

Eckert was original represented by court appointed attorney Scott Nicholson. In April of 2022, Eckert plead not guilty to all eight charges against him and several enhancement charges.

Eckert’s murder charge was enhanced to capital murder in December 2022. District Attorney Allyson Mitchell said she re-evaluated the evidence and determined the charge was a capital murder as the suspect committed other felonies when he allegedly shot and killed Gonzales.

Because of the nature of the capital murder charges a new attorney was required to be appointed to Eckert’s case. The court summoned Herrington to appear with Eckert.

After review of the new indictment for the capital murder charge, Eckert pled not guilty to eight felony charges including capital murder and two enhancement from prior convictions.

Capital murder in Texas can carry a death sentence by lethal injection or life imprisonment.

https://www.palestineherald.com/news...783735b0a.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information