Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Darlie Lynn Routier - Texas Death Row

Quote Originally Posted by Richard86 View Post
    prove one's innocence if one is on death row rather than life without parole.
    You must be having a larf! The quality of public defence lawyers and their resources are dubious at best.

yes I totally agree while the dr cases garner more attention (actually quite a bit from a blood thirsty public) their chances of acquittal are slim and none - the expense is enormous for a good defense lawyer and Miss Darlie hardly qualifies for the "Innocence Project"

Senior Member CnCP Addict Richard86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackadder View Post
    You must be having a larf! The quality of public defence lawyers and their resources are dubious at best.
    I'm not going to get into an argument in this thread over the quality of defence lawyers in the US (though if you like, we could start a thread of the subject as I have my own views). However regardless of the quality of defence lawyers in the US, the fact remains there is legislation offering various avenues of appeal to death row inmates, which are not open to those serving life without parole. It's part of what makes executing someone more expensive the putting them in prison for life.

I think we agree that commuting her sentence because of doubt isn't very logical.

Quote Originally Posted by dawnymarieeee View Post
    It truly broke my heart to read on FB her surviving Son is battling leukemia - my heart does go out to her family - what more - the family posted a short video showing the two boys when they were alive etc - sad to say Miss Darlie is not smiling nor animated in the piece - the kids are having fun as kids do, however; it did not exhibit any real family love - I know I know - this case is circumstantial and these are pieces of the puzzle which makeup the entire picture and to me it does not look good for Darlie at all..............infanticide is as old as man..........
    That's a bugbear of mine. Circumstantial does not mean weak! It means the pieces of evidence in isolation require inference to connect it to a conclusion of fact! Most cases are circumstantial evidence, as is a lot of science, especially in physics or biochemistry. It's funny when I see antis talk about "circumstantial evidence" cases, then in the same breath talk about how DNA exonerates inmates as if it's a magic bullet, oblivious to the fact that DNA and fingerprints are also circumstantial!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard86 View Post
    we could start a thread of the subject
    Be my guest!

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Even if Darlie gets a new trial and is found not guilty, the state will try her for the murder of Devin Routier.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKindExecutioner View Post
    Where is that pic please?
    http://www.documentingreality.com/fo...e-pics-112209/

Edited to add by tpg....these pictures could be very disturbing for some people. This is your WARNING before you click.

To answer someone who asked me recently, I am 100% sure that she is guilty. Take a look at the stab wounds on the one boy in my previous post. Those injuries are deep stab wounds and there are plenty of them. Darlie's injuries however are more superficial and done with a slashing motion. As for motive; what about her son's recent diagnosis of leukemia. That in itself would be stressful.

Darlie Routier is a vapid, superficial, narcissistic woman (see silly string incident), who did not like her life and wanted a way out. She killed those children so she could have a life she wanted, not a life she felt trapped in. She is exactly where she belongs and I look forward to the day when Texas carries out justice for those dead children.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Did Darlie Routier Kill Her Sons?

It’s been 15 years since the brutal murders of 6-year-old Devon Routier and his 5 year-old brother Damon in Rowlett, Texas. Sitting on death row at the Hilltop Correctional Institute is the boys’ mother Darlie Routier. Like many prisoners, she continues to say she’s innocent.

There are many websites out there (and many now defunct sites) set up to prove her innocence.

So what happened on that June 6 night in the suburb of Dallas? No one seems to know for sure. Darlie said she was asleep downstairs with the two boys while her husband and newborn baby slept upstairs. She said she woke to Damon bumping her shoulder and saying “mommy.” She said she saw a man leaving the house and she got up to follow him. She saw a knife on the floor and picked it up. It was then she realized she was also injured with several knife wounds including a slashed throat.

Darlie Routier's version of events:

The boys were asleep on the floor with their pillows and blankets. Darin brought me a pillow and blanket from upstairs. Around 1:00 a.m. Darin and I decided to go to sleep. Darin turned off all the lights but the T.V. was on. Darin told me that he loved me and would see me in the morning and I told him I loved him too. I asked him to make sure the door was locked on his way upstairs — he said he already checked it and it was — five minutes later I fell asleep. Next thing I remember — Damon runs into my right shoulder and says “mommy.” I sat straight up and saw a “blur” of a man between my couch and kitchen bar.

I stood up and Damon walked behind me. I heard glass breaking. When I got to the entrance of the kitchen, I saw man going into my utility room. I took a couple of steps and remembered lights were off went back and turned lights on, I started to walk through kitchen and noticed blood on my nightgown, about to my chest, halfway across the kitchen I saw knife laying on utility room floor, instinctively I went over and picked up knife, doesn’t seem like there was much blood on the knife, I went back through the kitchen and put knife on kitchen bar. Damon was still standing by living room wall. I walked into living room and saw Devon’s eyes open and wounds on his chest, Devon wasn’t moving and I started screaming, I went to Damon and began checking him and saw stab wounds through his shirt, I was hysterical but I was trying to think. I told Damon to lay on his belly and I told him to hang on and be strong — Damon said “O-K mommy.”

I ran into hallway to our entrance, turned on the lights and kept screaming. Darin, my husband, came out of our bedroom — he only had his pants and glasses on. Darin ran down the stairs and we ran together into the hallway. Darin went to the left, into family room and over to Devon, the table by Devon was completely knocked over. I went to the right to kitchen and grabbed phone to call 911.

I went to second drawer and got towels. I could see Darin starting to perform CPR on Devon. I went to sink and about that time 911 lady came on. I was screaming and got towels wet (when I turned around I could see my neck slit in mirror behind wine rack and said this to the 911 lady) I was screaming. I ran over to Damon pulled up his shirt and layed (sic) a towel on his back, I ran over to Darin and could see blood coming out of Devon’s wound when Darin blew into Devon’s mouth, I didn’t know what to do so I held a towel on Devon’s wound. I was still on the phone while I did all this. I was soaked with blood by this time and very dizzy — I ran to front door to scream for my neighbor, Karen (she is a nurse), and I remember the bolt on the door not being turned and locked. I ran back and got another towel to put on my neck. I was screaming and running back and fourth (sic) and still on the phone.

I stopped by the kitchen bar in living room where there was my vacuum, I felt so dizzy and I held myself up on the vacuum.

An officer came in and stood by my son Damon, I hung up the phone and dropped to the floor. I screamed for my husband to check on Drake (our baby) Darin did & came back and said he was O-K, Darin then went out front door to get neighbors.

A second officer arrives and I tell both officers a man went out the utility room, the officers proceeded to go into kitchen into utility room. Darin came back in and said both our babies were dead, I fell down again and kept screaming who would do this, I was so dizzy and hysterical.

Two paramedics came — one went to Devon, the other to Damon. I grabbed Damon’s shirt and the paramedic wouldn’t tell me he was dead, then he took Damon out of the house. Two paramedics came to me and I stood up and then I passed out.

Next thing I remember I’m on the front porch and Karen is by my side, I thought I was dying and I made her promise to find the man that killed my babies and she did. Karen then went into house. So many people were running in and out of the house and I felt so dizzy.

I remember one paramedic telling me my necklace was stuck in my throat and he couldn’t remove it. then my husband asked me where my panties were and I realized they were gone. Next thing I’m in the ambulance and I couldn’t breathe and they put oxygen on me. Then I remember being in the ER and someone taking off my necklace and that’s when I began to feel the pain, it hurt so bad, I begged them to make the pain stop and finally they said they had to operate and they put me under.

Next thing I remember waking up a crying and screaming my babies were dead, there were two officers asking me questions about my husband and the man I saw. I told them all I could remember.

I don’t remember any of the days I was in the hospital except the last day (Saturday). The nurse came in and gave me a shower and kept telling me how bad my arms looked and did I remember anything, and I told her I couldn’t remember but thought I struggled or fought the man, then I got to hold my baby and they quit giving me shots of pain medicine and gave me pills instead.

Two officers were there and said they were going to take Darin and I into the P.D. before the boy”s viewing so they could get statements from us. My husband and I didn’t think anything of it.

The officers got us to the P.D. around 5:00 p.m., separated us and made us talk about what happened. We were supposed to be at the viewing at 6:00 p.m. and it was about 6:30 when Detective Patterson asked me to give a written statement.

I was very upset and crying and told him we were late to be with our little boys and couldn’t we do this another day. Patterson told me it was very important to do it then.

Finally about 8:00 p.m. they drove my husband and I to the funeral home. I was very heavily medicated and really don’t remember much, I walked into the room with my husband and saw my babies holding hands in the casket and fell a little and laid on the casket, I kept screaming and crying, I couldn’t stop.

My boys looked so beautiful and innocent but they were cold when I kissed them. I fixed their hair and I just wanted to die. People started coming into the room and after about thirty minutes I almost passed out so someone sat me on the couch and helped me.

I didn’t want to leave but my husband said we had to. I don’t remember where we slept that night.

The next day we had the funeral. I don’t remember much except everyone kept telling me my babies were in heaven and I got angry because they were too little to be in heaven.

There were so many people but I just wanted to be left alone.

We sent balloons in the air with Devon and Damon’s name and had a plane fly over the funeral for them.

I don’t remember much else except we wanted to put flowers at our home around the fountain from the funeral and (Detective) Patterson said ‘no.’ but everyone took flowers and we all drove over there and did it anyway. We handed them to the officers and the officers put them around the fountain.

Someone took us home. I remember laying there, I was too scared to sit by a window or use the restroom or take a shower by myself — someone had to be with me and everyone kept giving me pills, I just didn’t want to be without my boys. I held my son Drake, in my arms and kept a picture of Devon and Damon every step I took.

Sometime that week the detectives wanted Darin and I to come in a give hair samples and fingerprints. We got there at 2:00 p.m. and they ended up keeping us until 9:30 p.m.

I was crying and didn’t have my pills, I kept throwing up and Patterson would help me go to the restroom because I kept getting sick but I was scared to be left alone. Patterson asked me about my tatoo and wanted to see it. I showed him.

Patterson told me they found this man’s fingerprints and it was only a matter of time.

Friday, June 14th, was my son Devon’s birthday. We went to the grave around 12:30 or 1:00 p.m. and had a prayer service. Around 5 or 5:30 p.m. we met the detectives in a grocery store parking lot in Rowlett to sign a release for blood from the night of the incident.

Patterson told us they had over 100 leads and they put cameras on our house and they found flesh under my fingernails from the samples they took at the hospital. Later we found this was all a lie.

We proceeded from the store to the boy’s grave where we had a birthday party for Devon with all his friends. My little sister bought silly string because my little boys loved it and always played with it. Inside I felt like I was dying but it was my son’s birthday and I was only thinking of him. I wasn’t celebrating his death, I was honoring his life, yet I have been persecuted for this. It’s absurd.

On the 18-19 they (the detectives) called us and told us they had a retired policeman who was going to help us. So around 7:00 p.m. we went to the Rowlett P.D. They put me in a room with a man named Bill Parker and for two hours they tried to brainwash me that I blacked out in my sleep and did this crime and only imagined the man. I told him he was crazy and he told me I was under arrest — after he told me this I became hysterical and he tried to calm me down and after another hour of him trying to get me to confess to something I know I didn’t do, I told him I wanted to do hypnosis, but they wouldn’t allow me to have anyone I knew there while I did it so I said forget it and then I want my lawyer.

They arrested me while they smoked their cigars and gave their news reports — they were so proud of themselves — they make me sick.”

Assistant District Attorney for Dallas County Greg Davis Opening Statements:

Assistant District Attorney for Dallas County Greg Davis made his opening statements on January 6, 1997. In it, he explains why he thinks Darlie Routier murdered her children. He paints her as a desperate, materialistic woman who enjoyed the finer things in life. When that began to go away, when she had trouble losing weight she gained while pregnant, he suggests she became angry and looked for a way to regain the freedom she once had.

Assistant District Attorney for Dallas County Greg Davis made his opening statements on January 6, 1997. In it, he explains why he thinks Darlie Routier murdered her children. He paints her as a desperate, materialistic woman who enjoyed the finer things in life. When that began to go away, when she had trouble losing weight she gained while pregnant, he suggests she became angry and looked for a way to regain the freedom she once had.

Damon and Devon Routier

MR. GREG DAVIS: Thank you.

May it please the Court. Ladies and gentlemen, on June the 6th, of 1996, the evidence will show that five-year-old Damon Christian Routier, and his six-year-old brother Devon, were stabbed and murdered in their own home in Rowlett,Texas. And Rowlett being a small suburb in eastern Dallas County.

Now, the evidence will show in this case how these two children were murdered, who murdered them, and the reasons why they were murdered. And in the process, ladies and gentlemen, the evidence in this case will show to you, that this woman here, Darlie Lynn Routier, and no other person, is the individual who stabbed and murdered her own children as they lay sleeping in their own home on June the 6th, 1996.

The evidence will show you that the real Darlie Routier is, in fact, a self-centered woman, a materialistic woman, and a woman cold enough, in fact, to murder her own two children. Now, the evidence in this case also will show you that the defendant’s husband is named Darin. Darin Routier. Now, Darin owned and operated a small electronics business in Rowlett, Texas. And he did very well. He was a hard worker.

In 1993, the Routier family moved into 8 a new two-story home in Rowlett, in a nice neighborhood. Their address was 5801 Eagle Drive. It was a corner lot. The evidence will show that when they moved into that home, they started to buy the kinds of things that would show their success: A lighted fountain, satellite dishes, jewelry, fancy clothes, leather furniture and a Jaguar automobile. And 1994 was another good year. And 1995 was even better. But, again, instead of reinvesting the money from that business back into that business, the evidence will show that the defendant and her husband kept on spending those profits on themselves. And this time, in 1995, there were several vacations. There was a nine thousand dollar redwood spa for their backyard. And there was a twenty-four thousand dollar cabin cruiser for the lake, Lake Ray Hubbard, which is close to Rowlett. Now, as 1996 began, everything still looked good on the surface for this defendant. The evidence will show that beneath the surface, things were starting to change. For, you see, in 1996, Darlie Routier had a new baby. That baby was keeping her very busy. Her other two children Devon and Damon were also keeping her busy. Secondly, she hadn’t been able to lose the weight from her pregnancy. She was having problems there also. And perhaps most importantly, the evidence will show to you that the money train from Darin’s business was beginning to peter out. His business was flattening out as 1996 began. When we come to June the 5th, 1996, the evidence is going to show you that those problems began to worsen, and they had worsened over time. By that date, this defendant right over here, still had not lost the weight that she had gained during her pregnancy. And that had led her by June the 5th, 1996, to begin taking diet pills in order to try to get back that figure. She was no longer the glamorous, blond center-of-attention by that date.

Also by that date, the baby, his name was Drake. By this time he was eight months old. Drake, Devon and Damon were again — were taking up more and more of her time. And by this time, she was becoming angry because, in fact, her lifestyle that she had grown accustomed to, the vacations, the buying sprees, the nice things, the freedom, those things were starting to go away, and she was beginning to become very angry by that time. You will also see that by 1996, by June the 5th, on that date, the Jaguar automobile, it wasn’t running, so she had no transportation. That cabin cruiser on the lake, by that time, it wasn’t running either. And there were problems at Darin’s business. The evidence will show again, that business was starting to flatten out. By June the 5th, the Routiers, the defendant and her husband, had no savings accounts, no retirement accounts. They had very little money in the bank. I mean, the house was still there, the boat was on the lake, but there was very little money in the bank. And we’re going to show you, that on that date there was under two thousand dollars cash available to these people by that date.The evidence is going to show to you, that by June, the situation had become bad enough, that on June the 1st of 1996, now we’re talking only five days before the murder of these two children in their home; that the Routiers tried to borrow five thousand dollars from a bank in Rowlett. Because of their credit situation, they were turned down on that loan. That’s the situation that we see on June the 5th, 1996.

Now, during that evening, the evidence is going to show to you that the two boys, Devon and Damon, were downstairs in the family room. And we’ll be referring to it as either the family room, or as the Routiers sometimes referred to it as the Roman room. They were in the family room sleeping, watching television, the defendant was down there, at times her husband was downstairs also. About 1:00 a.m. that morning, both boys were asleep on the carpet, by a couch where the defendant was, close to a big screen television. They had been watching TV that evening. By this time they were sound asleep. About 1:00 o’clock in the morning, the defendant’s husband came to her and told her that he was going to go ahead and go upstairs to the master bedroom and go to sleep. Baby Drake was already up there in his bassinet. The defendant, at that time, at 1:00 o’clock in the morning, told her husband, “I’m not going to go upstairs, I’m going to stay downstairs with the two boys.” You see, the defendant was a very light sleeper, and she had complained to her husband that the baby would keep her awake simply by turning in his crib. And for that reason, she said, “I’ll stay down here with the two boys tonight, and I will sleep down here.” So, at 1:00 o’clock in the morning, the situation will be, that we have Devon, we have Damon, we have only one other person downstairs with them. And that person is the defendant right over here, Darlie Lynn Routier.

Now, sometime between 1:00 a.m., and 2:30 a.m., on the morning of June the 6th, 1996, both Devon and Damon were stabbed to death. The evidence will show to you that Devon Routier, the six-year-old, was stabbed twice in the chest.

The first stab wound to the upper chest penetrated his pulmonary artery, and it went into his right lung. The second stab wound that you will hear about, is lower in the chest, and that entered into his liver. And the evidence will show to you that six-year-old Devon died face up, on the carpet, with his eyes open. Supposedly, as his mother, the defendant, was sleeping on a couch in that very same room where he died.

Now, the evidence will show you that five-year-old Damon was also stabbed. That child was stabbed four times in the back. Some of those wounds penetrated through his lungs, others through his liver, and he died as a result of those stab wounds. The evidence will show you that he was stabbed at least one time in the back, again, as his mother supposedly was sleeping on a couch, nearby where he was attacked. But the evidence will show to you that he didn’t die immediately. Damon somehow struggled across the floor of that family room, towards the hallway, and towards the kitchen, before collapsing on the floor. And when the first police officers got there to that scene that morning, and when the paramedics got there, they found him face down, gasping for breath, with his eyes open. But the evidence will show to you that Damon Christian Routier died before the paramedics could get him to the hospital that morning.

Now, you will hear from police officers, who dealt with the defendant. You will hear from paramedics who dealt with the defendant that morning also. You will hear from doctors who treated her, and you will hear from personnel from Baylor Hospital in Dallas, nurses, and other medical personnel over there who dealt with her that morning. And you’ll hear them tell you that that morning, immediately after these attacks on her children, this defendant was not in shock. This defendant was awake, she was alert, and she was very coherent. You will hear them tell you how they had conversations with her, in which she was able to follow their instructions, and able to give very detailed information to them about herself, and about events, and about her condition. You will hear, from those very same people, that this woman over here, Darlie Lynn Routier, that morning, while she is at the scene at 5801 Eagle Drive, made absolutely no attempts to help either of her two children, either Devon or Damon. She never asked about their condition, never asked about where they were going, made absolutely no inquiries about her two children at 5801 Eagle Drive.

Darlie Routier booking photo

You will hear also from them how this defendant gave differing stories about what had happened out there that night. You will hear the 911 tape. You will hear that at 2:31 a.m., June 6th, the Rowlett Police Department received a call from the defendant, a 911 call. And you’ll hear that tape during this trial, probably today or either tomorrow. You’ll hear that tape. And on that tape, you will hear the defendant’s voice. You will hear her scream, sometimes very loudly. You will hear the very first story that she gives to the police about what happened out there that night. You’ll hear her say to them that, in fact, that she had seen an intruder while she was sleeping downstairs, that she woke up, she found that her two children had been stabbed, that she had been stabbed, that she saw an intruder. That intruder then started to run from the family room, through the kitchen, to the utility room and finally to the garage. That he was armed with a knife. You will hear her tell the police that she chased that man, while she’s unarmed, that she chased this armed intruder through that house, that he threw a knife down in the utility room, that she picked up that knife. Now, you will hear on that tape also, how the focus of Darlie Routier turned very quickly from her two children, who were dying there in her presence, to herself, to the activities of the Police Department personnel who were on the scene, and to the condition of the crime scene. You’ll hear her, only five minutes into that tape, say, “this knife was laying over there, and I already picked it up. God, I bet we could have gotten the prints, maybe, maybe.” You will hear that being said as her two children are dying and bleeding to death, right there in front of her.

Now, finally, ladies and gentlemen, in this trial, you will hear about the police investigation, the extensive police investigation. And you will see the physical and the scientific evidence that was conducted, and that was preserved and collected out there at that scene.

You will see a lot of things, unfortunately, that are going to be very graphic. And I’m just going to apologize in advance for that. There is just no way around it. Some of these things are going to be very difficult for you to look at and to listen to. But the bottom line and the reason why we’re going to have to show you those things, is because those things show us, and they’ll show you, exactly what happened out there that night. And for that reason, you’re going to have to view it, and you’re going to have to listen to it. Now, among the things that you will see through that evidence will be that both boys, both Devon and Damon were stabbed with a knife that came from the defendant’s own kitchen; a large butcher knife that was kept in her kitchen. You will also see in that evidence, that both boys’ injuries were deep stab wounds to the trunk area. And that they were totally inconsistent with the superficial wound that this defendant received on June the 6th, 1996.

That evidence will also show you, that neither the defendant, nor any intruder ever ran through that kitchen and utility room to the garage after the boys’ attack, as the defendant claimed. That never happened. You will also see that no intruder ever threw a knife down on that utility room floor as he fled that residence, as the defendant claimed. And you will also see in that evidence that no intruder ever left out of that garage through a window, where a screen had been cut, that evening after the boys’ attack. That never happened either, as this defendant claimed it happened that night.

And finally, the evidence in this case will show you, beyond any reasonable doubt, that this defendant staged the crime scene before the police got there, to make it appear like an intruder had come in, and that she had had a struggle with that intruder. You will also see, that there is blood on her T-shirt that she was wearing at the time. That her own son’s blood is on her T-shirt, and that it was deposited while she was stabbing them to death on June the 6th, 1996.

And, finally, you will hear that that screen that was cut on that garage window, the place where this intruder supposedly came into the house to attack the boys, and supposedly left out of the house, as she chased him unarmed. You will see, that the screen is made up of two things: It’s made up of fiberglass rods that are also connected with a rubber polymer, a black rubbery substance. And you’ll hear that a knife was found inside the defendant’s residence, in her kitchen, still in a butcher block, and that knife was examined. And those two very same substances, both the fiberglass rods found in the window screen, and the black rubber material, was found on the blade of that knife.

At the conclusion of this case, when all of the testimony is in, I’m going to come before you, and I’m going to ask you to find this defendant guilty, because the evidence we’re going to show you through this trial, shows beyond any reasonable doubt that she is, in fact, guilty of the capital murder of five-year-old Damon Christian Routier.

Thank you.

http://coldnomore.wordpress.com/2011...r-sons-part-2/
    Last edited by Helen; 06-23-2014 at 11:47 PM.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

This is a lot to edit so I am posting the link to statements

Assistant District Attorney for Dallas County Greg Davis Closing Statements:

http://coldnomore.wordpress.com/2012...r-sons-part-7/
    Last edited by Helen; 06-23-2014 at 11:47 PM.

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by maybeacomedian View Post
    Even if Darlie gets a new trial and is found not guilty, the state will try her for the murder of Devin Routier.
    If that was the case she wouldn't get the death penalty though.

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Would that be because of Devon's age, there would be no aggravating factor? Does the child have to be less than 6 years to meet the aggravation requirement for a Capital case?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information