Thread: Brianna Nichole Young Charged With Capital Murder in 2023 MS Murder of Kaleb Bogan

Brianna Nichole Young Charged With Capital Murder in 2023 MS Murder of Kaleb Bogan

Mother now charged with capital murder in death of 5-year-old son

By: Zac Carlisle

TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - The mother arrested in the death of her 5-year-old son is now being charged with capital murder, Tupelo Police Chief John Quaka confirmed.

Brianna Young was booked into the Lee County jail on Thursday at 4 p.m., according to the jail’s roster. Her charge is listed as capital murder.

Young originally faced child abuse and deprivation charges in the Jan. 15 death of her son Kaleb Bogan.

Tupelo Police Major Chuck McDougald said officers responded to a home on Gun Club Road that morning for a death investigation.

Responders performed CPR on the boy, but Lee County Coroner Carolyn Green said Bogan was pronounced dead at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo.

Municipal Court Prosecutor Richard Babb said a police detective testified during Young's initial court appearance the little boy's body had scarring and burns, including severe burns on his buttocks.

Police added that Bogan was a nonverbal autistic child.

https://www.wtva.com/news/mother-now...935afafd3.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

More Info.

Tupelo mother held without bond after charges upgraded to capital murder

By William Moore
    Daily Journal

TUPELO – Two weeks after her 5-year-old son died from beatings and burns, a Tupelo mother of five has been charged with capital murder and ordered held without bond.

Tupelo Municipal Court Judge Willie Moore on Friday ordered Brianna Nichole Young, 27, of Gun Club Road, Tupelo, held without bond and bound the case over to the grand jury.

Lee County Coroner Carolyn Green said the state medical examiner's preliminary autopsy the Jan. 15 death of Kaleb Bogan a homicide and said the boy died of “multiple blunt force trauma and thermal injuries.” At the time of his death, police and hospital staff say they noticed a large burn on his upper body, lash marks on his back and burns on his buttocks.

During Young’s initial appearance Friday morning on the upgraded charge, Tupelo police detective Jacob Whitlock said the autopsy report also revealed additional injuries to Bogan.

“The doctor (who performed the autopsy) said there were also broken ribs and a torn rectum,” Whitlock said. “She said there was also a brain bleed and bruising to the scalp on the back of the head.”

Young was initially charged with two counts of child abuse and one count of child deprivation of necessities with substantial harm. She was released on a $100,000 bond the day after she was formally charged.

“She was able to bond out on those charges and didn’t leave. I don’t believe she is a flight risk,” public defender Dennis Farris said while arguing for bond. “The other children have been removed from the home, so they are not at risk. She has the support of her family, so there will not be a problem getting to court.”

Allen said the nature of the charges forced him to deny bond as police continue to investigate “serious allegations of abuse that apparently have been going on for some time.”

“Allowing Miss Young to be free while the investigation is ongoing would hamper the ability of police to determine if others are liable for the child abuse,” Allen said.

Police were called to the Gun Club Road residence for an unresponsive child at 9:44 a.m. on Sunday, Jan. 15. Tupelo firefighters were already performing CPR on the child, who was later transferred to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Police and hospital staff noticed a large burn mark on the child’s face, arm and stomach. There were also lash marks on the child's back, injuries to his buttocks, as well as bruising and scarring all over his body.

Young told police the child was burned by bath water about two weeks earlier, but she did not seek medical attention. Young later admitted she whipped the boy with a switch, leaving the lash marks. She initially said the injuries to his rear end were from a bicycle accident.

“She (later) said she hit him with a curling iron on his butt. That’s how he got the burns,” Whitlock said during a Jan. 17 court proceeding.

Police said the boy was autistic and nonverbal. Young, who has been cooperating and talking to police, told the investigator she was having trouble with the child and was overwhelmed. Following Young’s initial arrest, her other four children were removed from the home and placed in the care of family members.

Young was arrested on the child abuse charges on Jan. 15. She had her initial court appearance on the afternoon of Jan. 17. She bonded out of jail to following day at 7 p.m.

Bogan’s autopsy was conducted Tuesday at the state medical examiner's office in Pearl. Following the release of the preliminary report, the charges were upgraded. Young was arrested again and rebooked into the county jail on Jan. 26 at 3:04 p.m.

https://www.djournal.com/news/crime-...665540f42.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

I knew this was a bad one, but my God, along with all this horrible abuse, this poor baby was raped.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

I hope this thing gets the death penalty. Reading the details made me even more depressed than I already am today
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Judge denies bond for capital murder suspect

By William Moore
    Daily Journal

TUPELO – A Tupelo woman charged with capital murder in the January death of her 5-year-old autistic son has been denied bond by a circuit court judge.

Attorneys for Brianna Nichole Young, 27, argued on Monday that she had no felony record, had cooperated with authorities in the investigation and was not a flight risk in arguing that she was entitled to bond.

Prosecutors submitted photos of the boy’s injuries, along with the preliminary autopsy report that showed the non-verbal autistic boy had ingested fentanyl sometime before his death.

“The photos show how severe the child was abused, tortured and beaten. The child was severely abused and died from the abuse,” Senior Circuit Judge Paul Funderburk said at the end of the one-hour hearing. “The proof is evident and the presumption great, therefore the defendant is not entitled to bond.”

Young was initially charged with child abuse in the death of Kaleb Bogan and released on a $1 million bond. When the preliminary autopsy showed the abuse led to his death, the Tupelo Police Department upgraded the charge. In late January, Tupelo Municipal Court Judge Willie Allen ordered her held without bond. Young’s four other children have been in the custody of Child Protection Services since her initial arrest.

Attorneys Tyler Moss and Rob Laher filed a writ of habeas corpus in mid-March on Young’s behalf, asking circuit court for a bond hearing. The defense called one witness to the stand — Young’s father, John Young of Mooreville.

“She was a good kid. She was a good mom. I ain’t had no complaints about her,” he said.

Young said his daughter was neither a flight risk nor a danger to the community. Under direct questioning from Laher, he said Young had no felony record and only had minor charges, like speeding tickets.

But since 2014, Young has been charged with at least 30 misdemeanors in city court, including three child restraint violations that were retired. She was also charged with simple assault on two different occasions for attacking her boyfriend’s former girlfriends.

One charge was dropped, she was found not guilty of the other. Young currently owes Tupelo Municipal Court nearly $14,000 in unpaid fines.

Assistant District Attorney David Daniels called a single witness — Tupelo police detective Jacob Whitlock. He said the preliminary autopsy report showed Bogan died of multiple blunt force and thermal injuries. There were burns on his face from hot bath water.

There were scarring and welts on his back and legs from Young whipping him with a switch. There were also burns on his buttocks.

“She initially said that was from a bicycle tire, but she later said she hit him with a curling wand because he used the bathroom on the floor and smeared it on the walls and floor,” Whitlock said.

The detective said the toxicology report showed the child had remnants of the synthetic opioid fentanyl in his blood. A state pathologist also said the child had broken ribs and brain bleed. Whitlock said Young admitted to living alone at the home with her children, and she never said anything to police about someone else abusing or injuring Bogan.

While the autopsy did not specify a timeline when the multiple injuries occurred, officials believe it was within the child’s final two months. Bogan had lived with and was cared for by an aunt for most of his life. Bogan only went to live with his mother full time at the end of November 2022. He died on Jan. 15.

If the grand jury indicts Young for capital murder, she could face the death penalty under state law.

https://www.djournal.com/news/crime-...4133f73ef.html

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information