Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: John Henry Ramirez - Texas Execution - October 5, 2022

Either that or do something similar to what Florida did with that Soros stooge Ayala.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Ayala is running for Florida AG. I imagine she will be getting a ton of Soros money.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thankfully Florida is a basically a red state now, and this is a Republican year in the cycle
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    Gonzales only won by 3,000 votes in 2020, I’m surprised he would do something like this in that close of an election.

Pablo Castro's children file amicus brief in John Henry Ramirez execution case

The children of homicide victim Pablo Castro filed an amicus brief in the 94th District Court last week in response to Nueces County District Attorney Mark Gonzalez's motion to recall Corpus Christi death row inmate John Henry Ramirez's execution date and death warrant.

Ramirez, 37, was sentenced to death by the state in 2008 for the fatal stabbing of Castro, a 45-year-old convenience store clerk, during a robbery in Corpus Christi.

Castro's four children, Maria Chavon Aguilar, Fernando Castro, Pablo Castro Jr. and Roberto Salcedo Jr., said their decision to submit the brief was a part of their effort "to fulfill their sacred promise never to let their father be forgotten."

The brief, filed on April 26, argues that the "grief suffered by Pablo Castro’s family has been compounded by near decades of delays in carrying out Ramirez’s sentence."

"In the nearly 20 years since Pablo Castro’s murder, his children have prepared themselves for three different execution dates. They have traveled from around the country only to have the executions postponed at the last minute," the brief states. "Although there is no doubt that Ramirez murdered their father, his children still wait for justice and closure."

The brief concludes by stating, "This Court should vindicate crime victims’ important interest in the timely enforcement of a sentence by leaving the execution order in place and ending an ordeal that has denied peace and closure to Pablo Castro’s children for nearly twenty years.

"'Only with real finality can the victims of crime like the Castros 'move forward knowing the moral judgment of the State will be carried out.'"

Gonzalez, in a text to the Caller-Times Wednesday, said he had not read the brief yet.

https://www.caller.com/story/news/20...se/9648152002/

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Texas AG issues response to Nueces County DA's motion to stop John Henry Ramirez execution

By Corpus Christi Caller Times

The Texas Attorney General's Office filed a letter Friday opposing Nueces County District Attorney Mark Gonzalez's motion to recall a Corpus Christi death row inmate's execution date and death warrant.

The letter, submitted by the chief of the Texas Attorney General's Office Criminal Appeals Division, Edward Marshall, argued that the 94th District Court does not have the authority to rescind John Henry Ramirez's currently scheduled Oct. 5 execution date.

It stated that the court only has such authority under an exclusive set of circumstances.

"And a District Attorney's shifting ethical position is not one of them," the letter stated, referring to Gonzalez's public and firmly held belief that the death penalty is unethical.

Gonzalez, in his April 14 motion, stated that he believes the death penalty should not be "imposed on Mr. Ramirez or any other person" while he remains in office.

Marshall's letter concluded by stating, "If District Attorney Gonzalez does not wish to continue in this proceeding, the undersigned (referring to himself) is willing to step in to represent the State pro tem."

Gonzalez declined to comment on the letter Friday, telling the Caller-Times he does not wish to compromise a pending case.

The April 7 order setting Ramirez's October execution date marked the fourth time an execution date had been set in the case.

The children of homicide victim Pablo Castro also filed an amicus brief on April 26 opposing Gonzalez's motion.

Ramirez, 37, was sentenced to death by the state in 2008 for the fatal stabbing of Castro, a 45-year-old convenience store clerk, during a robbery in Corpus Christi.

Castro's four children, Maria Chavon Aguilar, Fernando Castro, Pablo Castro Jr. and Roberto Salcedo Jr., argued in the brief that their family's grief "has been compounded by near decades of delays in carrying out Ramirez’s sentence."

"In the nearly 20 years since Pablo Castro’s murder, his children have prepared themselves for three different execution dates. They have traveled from around the country only to have the executions postponed at the last minute," the brief stated. "Although there is no doubt that Ramirez murdered their father, his children still wait for justice and closure."

Ninety-fourth District Judge Bobby Galvan has yet to make any judgments in the case regarding Gonzalez's motion and Ramirez's scheduled Oct. 5 execution date.

https://eu.caller.com/story/news/202...on/9861902002/

Member Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Julius View Post
    Texas AG issues response to Nueces County DA's motion to stop John Henry Ramirez execution

https://eu.caller.com/story/news/202...on/9861902002/
    Who has the upper hand, AG or DA?

The judge will have the final say on whether to withdraw the warrant. He shouldn’t though cause the victim’s family have suffered enough in the last five years. I do feel sorry for Ramirez’s son but Ramirez brought this on himself and his family
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Texas attorney general's office nullifies Nueces County District Attorney Gonzalez's objection to John Henry Ramirez execution

By Ana Tamez
    kristv.com

The Texas attorney general's office determined Friday that Nueces County District Attorney Mark A. Gonzalez's ethical objection to the death penalty has no bearing on the upcoming execution of John Henry Ramirez.

Ramirez was convicted of murdering convenience-store clerk Pablo Castro in 2004.

After a lengthy appeals process, it was determined on April 12 that Ramirez would be put to death Oct. 5.

On April 14, Gonzalez filed a motion to withdraw the execution date, citing the fact that he does not support the death penalty.

The attorney general's office determined that is not a valid reason to stop the execution.

'To be sure, article 43.141 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure sets out the exclusive circumstances under which the Court has such authority, and a District Attorney's shifting ethical position is not one of them,' the decision states.

While Gonzalez was not the district attorney when Ramirez was convicted, his office has sought execution dates for him four times in the past five years.

The letter also states that if Gonzalez is unwilling to "continue in this proceeding," the attorney general's criminal appeals division chief Edward L. Marshall would do so in Gonzalez's place.

In the motion withdrawing the execution date last month, Gonzalez wrote that the setting of the date came from an oversight. In a Facebook Live video that night he said he would no longer move to have Ramirez executed, or any other person in his jurisdiction.

"I've, for a while now, said that I don't believe in the death penalty," Gonzalez said. "My office is not going to seek the death penalty anymore. And that's just the way I feel."

KRIS 6 News asked, via a Public Information Request, for any communication from Gonzalez to prosecutors in his office establishing a policy to not seek the death penalty, or setting execution dates. We also requested any communication that discussed the topic in general terms.

The office could provide none.

We asked how staff were supposed to be aware of his rules when he had not communicated them. This was his response.

"Every death penalty case, every case that is even subject to the death penalty is my decision alone ultimately and so if I'm not going to seek death I think the office will know that I'm not going to seek death," Gonzalez told KRIS 6 News. "I don't need to tell them, 'Hey, by the way, I'm not seeking the death penalty so you can't seek it.' They don't get that choice. I'm the one who ultimately makes that decision."

Castro's family also weighed in on Gonzalez's motion with one of their own, which stated that the delays in the execution — which have been ongoing since 2012 — have "inflicted immeasurable harm on Pablo Castro's children."

https://www.kristv.com/news/local-ne...tion?_amp=true
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Texas judge won’t let prosecutor cancel scheduled execution of John Ramirez

By The Texas Tribune

A Texas state district judge on Tuesday rejected a prosecutor’s request to cancel the scheduled October execution of John Ramirez, whose death last year was halted in part of a yearslong back-and-forth between the Texas prison system and the U.S. Supreme Court over religious rights of condemned prisoners.

Nueces County District Attorney Mark Gonzalez sought to have the execution canceled, saying one of his employees wrongfully asked a court to set the date in April, after the nation’s high court directed the state prison system to let the prisoner’s pastor touch and pray over him at his execution. Gonzalez said he is ethically opposed to the death penalty and did not want an execution warrant for Ramirez issued.

Along with Ramirez’s defense attorney, he sought to withdraw the new execution date two days after it was requested.

But in a Zoom hearing Tuesday, state District Judge Bobby Galvan said Gonzalez is “the captain of the ship,” and what his staff does is on him.

“I’ve really thought about this a lot,” Galvan said. “I respect y’all’s opinion on this, but I’m not going to withdraw the warrant.”

Gonzalez argued that, as the county’s elected prosecutor, he has the authority to request the cancellation.

“The main issues in this motion, your honor, are that the only legitimate voice for the state of Texas would be my office,” he said.

After the ruling, Ramirez’s attorney, Seth Kretzer, said it was unprecedented for a judge to deny a motion to withdraw a death warrant that has the support of the prosecution and the defense.

Gonzalez has been district attorney since 2016, and his office previously requested execution dates for Ramirez three times — in 2017, 2020 and 2021. The prosecutor’s office asked to halt the 2020 date because of the pandemic, and the other two were stopped by appeals courts. Gonzalez did not immediately return calls Tuesday.

Ramirez, 37, was sentenced to death in Corpus Christi for the robbery and murder of store clerk Pablo Castro in 2004. Court records state Ramirez stabbed Castro 29 times during a robbery spree to get drug money with two women. Castro had $1.25 on him.

A previous execution date for Ramirez was delayed while he contested the prison system's refusal to allow a pastor to touch and pray over him as he was executed. Ultimately, the nation’s high court decided in an 8-1 ruling in March that Texas likely violated Ramirez’s religious liberties when it denied his request.

After Texas Department of Criminal Justice officials said after they would abide by the ruling, the path was clear for Nueces County officials to set a new execution date for Ramirez.

An assistant district attorney filed the paperwork in April, and Galvan set a new date for Oct. 5. But two days later, Gonzalez moved to withdraw the date. He said his employee never checked with him before moving forward with an execution, and it was his “firm belief that the death penalty is unethical and should not be imposed on Mr. Ramirez or any other person” while he was in office.

Execution dates have been scheduled and withdrawn based on local prosecutors’ requests in the past, for things like paperwork errors. In Ramirez’s case, however, the Texas Attorney General’s Office and the victim’s family also weighed in.

In a letter to the Nueces County state district court, the chief of the attorney general’s criminal division argued that the district court can’t withdraw a pending execution date because of a prosecutor’s “shifting ethical position.” Several of Castro’s children also submitted a brief to Galvan, asking to allow the execution to proceed because “they have endured delay after delay in seeing justice finally served.”

“I want my father to finally have his justice as well as the peace to finally move on with my life and let this nightmare be over,” Fernando Castro, who was 11 at the time his father was killed, was quoted as saying in one brief.

Kretzer said he and Gonzalez will appeal Galvan’s ruling to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, as the judge seemingly encouraged to get clarification on his role in the process of setting execution dates.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06...mark-gonzalez/

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread Information