Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Rodney Rodell Reed - Texas Death Row

Junior Member Stranger
    I think if people read the appeal documents, they would change their mind about the case. Maybe some of them wouldn't want to see him get executed, but still think he was guilty.

This whole thing is just a circus act. I get the feeling that someone who is definitely guilty, may end up getting off because so many people are putting a stink up about this case. If he ends up getting out of prison, this is going to be such an injustice. He’s so guilty it’s not even funny.

Senior Member Member
    And the DNA linking him to all of the rapes that were the same M.O.?

I still agree with this opinion piece written a few years ago. Reed's history of rape is just too much for me and anyone who believes that the victim would have willingly slept with this thug is delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    September 27, 2015

Alleged Rodney Reed Victim Speaks Out About 1995 Rape

“After he raped me, he had this look in his eyes like he wanted to kill me,” says Vivian Harbottle. “I begged him for my life. I told him that I had three kids… He just kept staring at me. I was crying ‘please don’t kill me’ and then he finally left.”

A DNA match would tell Harbottle, a year and a half later (May 1997), that the man who sexually assaulted her near the railroad tracks in Bastrop was Rodney Reed, who is currently on death row for the rape and murder of Stacey Stites. The 19-year-old HEB cashier was killed April 23, 1996, six months after the Harbottle assault.

“I’m no angel,” says Harbottle, 56, who has had three DWI convictions and an assault charge after a bar fight. “But that man raped me.” She says she decided to do her first interview about the October 1995 incident because “no one is speaking up for the victims. No one is saying what a dirtbag Reed is. Everything is getting twisted around.”

Reed supporters celebrated a stay of execution by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals in February, just ten days before his March 5 date with the lethal injection in Huntsville. Amid much controversy, claims of Reed’s innocence, and charges of racism, the CCA is reviewing the case. Reed’s defense team points to Stites’ ex-boyfriend, former Giddings police officer Jimmy Fennell, as the likely perpetrator, after Fennell pled guilty in 2008 of sexually assaulting a woman in custody while on duty in Georgetown.

But Harbottle says there’s no doubt in her mind that Reed is guilty. Six months after the Stites murder he was involved in another kipnapping and attempted sexual assault, but that victim escaped. “I don’t feel so bad for me,” she says. “I feel really bad for Stacey. If we were able to pin (the Harbottle rape) on Reed, she might still be alive.”

Harbottle was intoxicated the night she was raped, she admits. After a night of partying at Ray’s Place on Chestnut Street, where she used to work as a bartender, Harbottle started walking to her stepson’s house via the railroad tracks behind the bar. “Reed just came out of nowhere,” she says. They sat on the tracks and talked for a few minutes, she said, but when she got up to leave Reed threw her to the ground and raped her. “He had his hand over my mouth and then the train went by with the horn blowing,” she said. “No one could hear me scream.” The incident occurred about 100 yards from Reed’s house, but the case went cold when Harbottle couldn’t identify her attacker. She walked back to Ray’s and called police that night in ’95, but “it was dark and I was drunk,” she says. Police were able to draw a DNA sample, however, which matched when Reed turned himself in for a petty drug charge in April ’97 and submitted DNA. That’s also how he became a suspect in the rape/murder of Stites.

It’s been 20 years and “everybody keeps telling me to move on, to forget the past,” she says, “but how can I when (the Reed case) is in the news all the time.” Harbottle says she’s been harassed by Reed supporters and had to report one to the police so he would stop coming by her restaurant (the short-lived In Cahoots in Bastrop) and grilling her about her testimony. She was called by the prosecutors during the sentencing phase of Reed’s trial. Four other former Reed rape victims also testified. “I’ve been called a liar and a whore,” she says. “I’ve had to stay off the Internet because it’s just too upsetting.”

Recognizing her name from the trial transcripts, I approached Harbottle after seeing her comments on the first Reed story published on michaelcorcoran.net. “Well,” she said on a phone message in return, “I guess I’m finally ready to talk about what happened to me.”

Reed was not charged in the rape of Harbottle, she said, because he was convicted of the greater charge of murder. There is no statute of limitations in Texas for rape. Reed’s DNA was also found in a 12-year-old girl who was raped by an intruder.

http://www.michaelcorcoran.net
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

And he only claimed that they had consensual sex *after* being confronted with the presence of his semen. It may be uncouth or politically incorrect to point this out, but black inmates who killed white women seem to love playing the "consensual affair" card as an excuse - Reed, Marcellus Williams, and I believe John Marion Grant and Dillion Compton all claimed the same thing, without any convincing evidence.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Reed made the same claim in a previous rape.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

As far as I'm concerned he deserves to die for those rapes alone. So I wholeheartedly support executing him even if he didn't kill Stites.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Junior Member Stranger
    Reed is guilty guilty guilty. DNA taken from a 12 yr old little girl that was sodomized belongs to him. O course they didn’t prosecute this rape or several others committed by him. Gee what clever answers will he come up with, ‘I was in a secret relationship with a 12 yr old’. They had enough evidence to convict him of capital murder, which carried the death penalty! This is why they didn’t prosecute for rape. People need to open their eyes it’s not about race or color . Reed is a serial rapist and murderer. Doesn’t deserve air on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    As far as I'm concerned he deserves to die for those rapes alone. So I wholeheartedly support executing him even if he didn't kill Stites.
    That might be the single most ridiculous thing you have ever said Aaron.

Quote Originally Posted by remerine View Post
    Reed is guilty guilty guilty. DNA taken from a 12 yr old little girl that was sodomized belongs to him. O course they didn’t prosecute this rape or several others committed by him. Gee what clever answers will he come up with, ‘I was in a secret relationship with a 12 yr old’. They had enough evidence to convict him of capital murder, which carried the death penalty! This is why they didn’t prosecute for rape. People need to open their eyes it’s not about race or color . Reed is a serial rapist and murderer. Doesn’t deserve air on earth.
    That is a weak argument when a life is on the line. In America, we don't execute people for rape, especially when they haven't been convicted of it. Whether or not it is a Capital offense is another discussion, but under our current system, the criteria for capital punishment are clear.

So it takes 50 posts to become a member instead of a newbie? Well, after 7 1/2 years, and refusing multiple requests to be a moderator, I am now an official member, Huzzah for me!

I hate talking about important matters in this format. Heidi has my number if anyone wants to talk to me in person.
    Last edited by Moh; 08-16-2021 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Omitted profanity
    "It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them".--Alfred Adler

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSaint View Post
    That is a weak argument when a life is on the line. In America, we don't execute people for rape, especially when they haven't been convicted of it. Whether or not it is a Capital offense is another discussion, but under our current system, the criteria for capital punishment are clear.
    I don't care. Kennedy v. Louisiana was wrongly decided as far as I'm concerned. Reed morally deserves to die for the child rape. If executing him means executing him, officially, for a murder he in fact didn't commit, so be it. He deserves to die even if he didn't kill Stites. Most people on death row have done something at some point to deserve it, or to not deserve saving. Good people are seldom accused of capital murder; a single parent working multiple jobs to provide for their children isn't going to be accused of capital murder.

I'm more than ok with a pedophile, rapist, or someone who committed a different murder indisputably being officially executed for a murder they didn't commit. I know we won't come to an agreement and this thread doesn't need to be filled with such an argument, so I will say nothing further on this matter here. I'll save it for the next chat.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread Information