Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Rodney Rodell Reed - Texas Death Row

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSaint View Post
    I didn't see any incontrovertible evidence in anything Mike posted. Plenty of stuff that was contrary to my position, but certainly not evidence that hasn't already been introduced. You want to execute Reed for a rape he was never convicted of, right?
    First, I said that militates against not executing him even if he didn't kill Stites. But this is a gross mischaracterization of what I said.

He was only not convicted because, as Mike already stated, they did not charge him because he was already sentenced to death and they did not want to subject the 12 year old girl to the trauma of a rape trial. A rape Reed was conclusively linked to via DNA, unless I'm expected to believe Mr. Innocence's DNA was planted there. "Rape he was never convicted of" seems to imply that there is not conclusive proof he did it, that it's doubtful. But, to reiterate, he indisputably did it. He was only not charged because he was sentenced to death for killing Stites, and prosecutors wanted to spare the girl from the trauma of a rape trial. Reed is a viscous beast and sexual predator. But wait, there's more. Allow me to proffer the sordid details of Saint Rodney the Innocent Victim's past:

"The Sexual Assault of Caroline Rivas
    Reed has also been credibly accused and indisputably linked by DNA to the sexual assault of Caroline Rivas, an intellectually disabled woman that Reed was dating. The assault was noticed by one of Rivas’s caseworkers. She would frequently see bruises on Rivas’s body. When she asked Rivas about these, Rivas admitted that Reed would hurt her if she would not have sex with him. A rape kit was collected when Rivas admitted that Reed had, the prior evening, hit her, called her vulgar names, and anally raped her. The samples from Rivas’s rape kit provided the link to Stites’s murder." Abusing a mentally disabled woman, what a stand up guy, think of what we're losing as a society if we execute him!

But here's more:
    The Sexual Assault of Vivian Harbottle
    Reed has also been credibly accused and indisputably linked by DNA to the rape of Vivian Harbottle underneath a train trestle as she was walking home. The incident occurred about six months before the rape and murder of Stites. Semen collected from that rape was compared to Reed and was a match.

The Assault of Linda Schlueter
    About six months after Stites’s murder, Reed was implicated in the beating and attempted rape of nineteen-year-old Linda Schlueter. She reported to the police that he asked her for a ride home at about 3:30 a.m. But he then led her to a remote area and attacked her. Reed fled when another car approached, and Linda with immediately to the police. This case prompted police to recover DNA from the Rivas case and compare it with that found in Stites. It was a match and Reed was arrested for murder."

And here's the most damning of all:

"The Sexual Assault of Connie York
    On September 1, 1987, Reed was arrested in connection with an aggravated sexual assault on 19-year-old Connie York in a Wichita Falls house on August 25, 1987. The woman claimed that she had been dragged into her bedroom, hit multiple times and raped by a man that had broken into her home while she was out. In the first DNA case to occur in Wichita County, the semen found was linked to Reed. While Reed had at first denied knowing York, in the 1991 trial he admitted he knew her and the sex was consensual. His explanation for the beating was that she slapped and insulted him. Reed’s defense team also argued that Reed, who stands at a height of 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m), was too big to fit in the small kitchen window that the prosecutors claimed the man had used to enter her home. Reed was acquitted by jury on August 16, 1991.The 1987 sexual allegations were the only case in which Reed was prosecuted prior to the Stites murder."

Reed lies, then when confronted with infallible evidence such as the presence of his semen, he changes his story and claims consensual sex. Just as he did with Stites. And this avatar of greed and sin manages to portray himself as the victim but crying he was insulted.

So I will say unequivocally that absolutely nothing of value is lost, whether or not he killed Stites. Ends justify means. The end in this case being the execution of an evil monster, the means being the execution for the murder of Stites. This holds true to me even if Reed didn't kill Stites. I say this with 100% moral comfort. I say so unapologetically. I say so in full agreement with my values, beliefs, agendas, and the dogma of ends justifying means. I've expressed this as well in the case of Carlton Gary - even if he didn't kill the women in Georgia, he was indisputably linked to the murders of three women in New York, a proven killer regardless. Even if he didn't commit the GA killings, and I'm not saying that's the case, the execution was a good thing because he was still a killer. To me, the ends always justify the means.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Like I said is anyone ever really innocent
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

In the United States, putting someone to death for a crime they did not commit is a violation of the Constitution, and it isn't any more complicated than that. What crimes deserve which punishment is another conversation, but I follow the law as it is written.

And if I wanted to do ad hominem "attacks" I would address someone by their name. If I seem critical, I am generally questioning one's values or ideology, not making personal remarks. Having said that, thick skin is a good thing to have in life, and adversity builds character. I think it also contributes to empathy.
    "It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them".--Alfred Adler

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSaint View Post
    In the United States, putting someone to death for a crime they did not commit is a violation of the Constitution, and it isn't any more complicated than that.
    Actually it does not violate the Constitution. The Supreme Court decided this in Herrera v Collins

Herrera v. Collins, 506 U.S. 390 (1993), was a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States ruled by 6 votes to 3 that a claim of actual innocence does not entitle a petitioner to federal habeas corpus relief by way of the Eighth Amendment's ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herrera_v._Collins

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/506/390/

Senior Member Frequent Poster Fact's Avatar
    Herrera is a bit more complicated than that.

Reed could have his stay of execution uplifted at anytime in the near future, resetting a future execution date by the Bastrop Conty DA and signed by a judge. The jury at his trial found him guilty and recommended a death sentence as the appropriate sentence in this case.

If and when his execution comes, the U.S. Supreme Court will have the last say as to whether he lives or dies in Huntsville.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

This is an hour. You might have to set it back to 0:00, I don't know why it loaded like this. Do what you want with the information. I find it compelling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLTcV664IgU&t=298s

I always forget that Fennell put out an APB on his truck before his fiancee, after she hadn't shown up for work.

This is a six parter, each part is 12-17 minutes, probably an hour and a half in total. Each part leads to the next, so just follow the progression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1CDtWONwOs

I don't know how anyone can watch this and not see a problem with this case.

Fun fact, these are all my local news reporters.
    "It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them".--Alfred Adler

Petition for writ of certiorari filed to SCOTUS September 20, 2021.

Lower Court: Fifth Circuit

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....ic/21-442.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

'Look at all the evidence': Attorneys make closing arguments in Rodney Reed's hearing for new trial

Three months after attorneys presented and picked apart new evidence in death row inmate Rodney Reed's case, both sides on Monday gave their closing arguments about whether that evidence should upend his rape and murder conviction in the 1996 killing of Stacey Stites.

Reed's attorneys argued before state District Judge J.D. Langley that new witnesses and forensic analysis bolster theories that Stites was having an affair with Reed and that Stites could have been killed when she was with her fiancé, Jimmy Fennell. Prosecutors countered that none of this evidence changes the facts of the case that led to Reed's conviction.

Langley said he hopes to make his recommendation to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals before the end of the month, and the appeals court will decide whether Reed's conviction should stand, he should go free or he deserves a new trial.

Reed, 53, has failed to get his conviction overturned in multiple attempts in federal and state courts, but his appeals have stayed his execution twice.

New witnesses who took the stand in July included Charles Fletcher, a former member of the Bastrop County sheriff's office, who said that Fennell told him a month before Stites' murder that she was having an affair with a Black man.

Arthur Snow Jr. said that during a prison yard conversation Fennell admitted to killing Stites, with Fennell saying, "I had to kill my (n-word)-loving fiancée." The alleged conversation occurred while Fennell was serving time in prison for an unrelated kidnapping and sexual assault conviction.

Prosecutors said because many of the new witnesses didn't come forward for years, or decades in some cases, judges should be skeptical of whether they're correctly remembering these conversations.

"Mr. Fletcher said he didn’t think about coming forward until his wife had done some research on the case," Assistant Texas Attorney General Travis Bragg pointed out in court Monday.

New evidence presented in July was forensic, with the defense bringing to the stand multiple scientists who said Stites' time of death could have been during times that Fennell testified he was with her, and not only during a 3 to 5 a.m. window that experts gave in the late 1990s.

New experts also said intact sperm cells found on Stites' body could have been deposited much earlier than a jury was told during Reed's trial.

"A new jury, hearing this evidence, would have a reasonable doubt in this case," said Jane Pucher, one of Reed's attorneys with the Innocence Project, a criminal justice advocacy group.

Defense attorneys on Monday reiterated their argument made in July that it was Fennell, not Reed, who killed Stites. Fennell has denied that accusation on the stand.

In 2008, Fennell pleaded guilty to kidnapping and sexually assaulting a woman after responding to her call for help in his role as a police officer in Georgetown. Fennell served a 10-year sentence in prison and was released in 2018.

Prosecutors countered that if judges consider Fennell's past, they should also consider Reed's. Reed was considered a suspect in the sexual assaults of six other women, according to investigators. He was only charged in one case and was acquitted.

A woman testified last summer that Reed punched her and dragged her by the hair in 1996 after she agreed to give him a ride home. He asked her for oral sex, she said.

"I responded, 'You will have to kill me before you get anything from me,’” the woman said. "He said, ‘I guess I will have to kill you.’”

The woman said she kept punching Reed until she was able to escape from her truck and run for help.

Outside the courthouse Monday, Stites' sister Debra Oliver accused Reed of being a serial rapist.

"I think the state did a great job of proving that there's never been any evidence of a relationship between Rodney and Stacey," Oliver said. "I think they've also done a great job of saying that to prove actual innocence, they would have to bring in all of the other cases against him. ... The only way you can look at this case is to look at all the evidence against him."

Reed's brother, Rodrick Reed, said defense attorneys have proved his brother is innocent.

"All we ask for is a fair trial," he said. "My brother never had that from the beginning. It was a Jim Crow trial straight out the gate. And so, if this time we can get a fair trial, the evidence will free Rodney Reed."

https://www.statesman.com/story/news...ng/8508540002/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Replace "could" with "will." He's only his fifties, after all.

Rage always passes. And we can't compromise with these folks. They've already won the war, but we can still win battles for the time being.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread Information