Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Rodney Rodell Reed - Texas Death Row

Junior Member Stranger
    Reed is guilty, twelve jurors convicted him on evidence in the case. This secret affair and witnesses coming out of the wood work 10 days before his execution??? Why didnÂ’t they come forward at the trial. Where were they?? ReedÂ’s DNA was found on a 12 yr old victim he raped. O I guess this was a secret too! Reed is a serial rapist and murderer. If given the opportunity in the free world he would do it again. I hope the governor doesnÂ’t cave into the media hype to free this monster. Truth and justice for the victim!!

Several (3) maybe more cases his DNA was found on victims he raped. Including a 12 yr old. The persecution didnÂ’t follow through with filing charges because Reed committed murderer and rape with his last Victim. The evidence was overwhelming in StacyÂ’s case . Reed committed his crimes in a very relatively short time. The persecution went after murder and rape for the death penalty.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Fact's Avatar
    I'm uncomfortable about this. Abbott should grant a reprieve until the issues can be sorted out. If he is executed and turns out to be innocent of the crime, poof goes the death penalty.

How many dates and stays has this guy gotten? seems like his name is always on the "scheduled" list..
    "I am the warden! Get your warden off this gurney and shut up! You are not in America. This is the island of Barbados. People will see you doing this." Monty Delk's last words.

This is his second date.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

If Patrick Murphy doesn't get his stay lifted, executing Reed will be sufficient payback. As long as one of these clowns stops stealing oxygen I'll be satisfied.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

I have found what I was looking for.

"Reed’s DNA was first matched up against the semen found in Stites body after an intellectually disabled woman named Caroline Rivas admitted to her case worker that Reed, whom she had been dating, anally raped her.

“Reed began dating Caroline Rivas, an intellectually disabled woman,” court documents revealed. “Rivas’s caseworker noticed bruises on Rivas’s body and, when asked about them, Rivas admitted that Reed would hurt her if she would not have sex with him.”

“Later, Rivas’s caseworker noticed that Rivas was walking oddly and sat down gingerly,” the response to the Supreme Court cert. petition said. “Rivas admitted that Reed had, the prior evening, hit her, called her vulgar names, and anally raped her. The samples from Rivas’s rape kit provided the link to Stites’s murder.”

Reed has been connected to the rapes of five other females, including a 12-year-old girl.

According to court documents, the victim, only identified publicly as A.W., says she was blindfolded, gagged, beaten, and orally, vaginally, and anally raped while she was home alone. “The foreign DNA from A.W.’s rape kit was compared to Reed; Reed was not excluded and only one in 5.5 billion people would have the same foreign DNA profile from A.W.’s rape kit,” the court doc outlined.

As noted by Breitbart News’ Brandon Darby, Reed has not been exonerated from the rape of the 12-year-old and a number of other women, but such cases were likely not pursued because Reed was served with the death penalty. “When someone gets a death penalty, the other cases are often not taken to court because of resources and not wanting to put other victims through trials once ultimate punishment already given. All of those cases are still there and have been the entire time,” Darby explained.

Lucy Eipper, whom Reed has two children with, claimed he physically abused her, even when she was pregnant. He also raped her “all the time,” including one time in front of their kids, according to Eipper.

There was also Vivian Harbottle, whom Reed was said to have raped six months prior to the murder of Stites. “When she pleaded for her life for the sake of her children, Reed laughed at her,” court documents reveal. “The foreign DNA from Harbottle’s rape kit was compared to Reed; he could not be excluded, and only one person in 5.5 billion would be expected to have the same foreign DNA profile.”

Reed also allegedly attempted to rape 19-year-old Linda Schlueter after he convinced her to give him a ride home. “Reed led her to a remote area and then attacked her,” documents outline. “After a prolonged struggle, Schlueter asked Reed what he wanted and Reed responded, ‘I want a blow job.’ When Schlueter told Reed that ‘you will have to kill me before you get anything,’ Reed stated ‘I guess I’ll have to kill you then.’ Before Schlueter could be raped, a car drove by and Reed fled.”

Reed was acquitted of the rape of 19-year-old Connie York. Though he at first denied knowing York, he later claimed, “Yeah, I had sex with her; she wanted it.”

In 2015, a supplemental trial court record showed that it was confirmed that Reed’s DNA was found inside Stites’ rectum, despite Reed’s attempts to claim otherwise, and her vagina, underwear, her breasts, and clothing, which was more than the jury knew at the time.

“Indeed, [the jury] knew that Reed’s genetic profile was consistent with profiles developed from Stites’s panties and the vaginal, rectal, and breast swabs taken from her body,” the record stated. “Reed’s DNA is now consistent with that found on Stites’s pants and her back brace, which also include Stites’s genetic profile; namely, there is a mixture of Stites’s DNA and male DNA on Stites’s pants and back brace from which Reed cannot be excluded.”

(https://www.dailywire.com/news/celeb...e-evidence-say)
    ✹ Sorry for my terrible English ✹

🐰 I am really afraid of the needles, drowning, burning, pain, sharks and spiders. So the death row is not my place. Although there are no sharks there.

I have a divination. I think Reed will be executed. Other people have already had large media coverage that was not considered by the governor or the court.

Or maybe they give him 30 days and then he can start to the last way.

I still think he's not a killer. But so many sexual assault charges cannot be accidental and false. He may not deserves the death penalty. But for sexual accusations, the life sentence is yes. If the charges are really true. It needs an all-inclusive new trial. I think.
    ✹ Sorry for my terrible English ✹

🐰 I am really afraid of the needles, drowning, burning, pain, sharks and spiders. So the death row is not my place. Although there are no sharks there.

Pressure is mounting to stop Rodney Reed's execution. Where does his case stand?

Dozens of lawmakers — both Republicans and Democrats — have asked Gov. Greg Abbott and the parole board to stop Reed's execution. There are also multiple appeals in the courts

Despite a national and bipartisan outpouring of support for Texas death row inmate Rodney Reed, the state is still scheduled to execute him Wednesday.

As of Thursday night, more than half of the Texas Senate, at least 45 state House members and several congressmen from Texas have publicly asked to stop Reed’s upcoming death. That doesn’t include the millions of people who have signed online petitions and an ever-rising number of celebrities — like Beyoncé, Oprah and Kim Kardashian — who have voiced support.

Reed, now 51, has been on death row for more than 20 years after being convicted in the 1996 Bastrop murder of 19-year-old Stacey Stites. His guilt in the murder has always been shrouded in doubt, but in recent months, the case has drawn an enormous amount of attention and skepticism from the public and lawmakers on both sides of the aisle. For Elsa Alcala, a former judge on Texas’ highest criminal court whose time on the bench turned her into a death penalty critic, Reed’s case has gotten a bigger spotlight than any other execution she remembers.

“I’ve been stunned by the attention the case has gotten,” Alcala said. “As far as bipartisan support, I just presume that people are trying to be on the right side of this.”

Texas Republicans have generally shied away from or rejected discussions of flaws with capital punishment. But a small and growing number of conservative politicians have started publicly questioning it in recent years, and the Texas House passed several measures this year to reform death penalty law. Reed’s upcoming execution has pushed many in the GOP far beyond discussion. Republican U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz has publicly suggested the case should be reviewed further. More than two dozen of the state lawmakers asking to stop his death are Republican, and they've been joined by Republican U.S. Rep. Michael McCaul, who represents Bastrop.

“As the former Deputy Attorney General for Criminal Justice, I oversaw all death penalty appeals for the state of Texas, and fully understand the legal process and the difficulty of making such decisions,” McCaul wrote in a letter to Republican Gov. Greg Abbott and the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles. “A death sentence is final, and given the doubt surrounding his innocence at this time, I believe our state cannot execute Mr. Reed in good conscience.”

Most of the pleas from lawmakers and others have been aimed directly at Abbott and the Texas parole board. Spokespeople for Abbott and the board have not responded to repeated requests about Reed’s case.

But one of several courts could also stop Reed’s execution. As the clock ticks down to the moment Reed is scheduled to take his last steps into the state’s death chamber in Huntsville, his attorneys have filed multiple late appeals with new witnesses and evidence they say further emphasizes their long-standing argument: that Reed is innocent in Stites’ murder and evidence instead implicates her fiancé, Jimmy Fennell.

Stites’ body was found partially unclothed hours after she missed an early morning shift at a grocery store, according to court records. Fennell’s truck was found abandoned in a nearby school parking lot. At both locations were pieces of Stites’ belt, which was believed to have been used to strangle her.

About a year after the murder, DNA from sperm cells found inside Stites matched to Reed, making him the prime suspect. He was also indicted, but never convicted, in several other rape cases. Reed has argued he and Stites had a consensual affair, a claim his lawyers say was doubted largely because he was a black man in rural Texas, and Stites was white. Reed was tried by an all-white jury.

Stites’ family and Bastrop County prosecutors, however, remain certain Reed is guilty, saying he was a serial rapist who stopped Stites on her way to work, raped her and then killed her.

In the years since his conviction, Reed, represented by the Innocence Project, has brought forth mountains of new witnesses and reexamined forensic evidence he claims prove his innocence. Pathologists have said Stites was killed before the time Fennell said she left their home for work, when she was alone with him. And the medical examiner who originally pegged her death to a later time — likely when she was driving to work — clarified in an affidavit that it would be impossible to pinpoint that exact time.

Experts whose testimony prosecutors used to argue that Reed’s sperm was a result of sexual assault just before the murder have also come forward, saying the sperm could have been from days before, when Reed said the two had sex, and the medical examiner has since said there was no evidence the sperm was connected to the sexual assault.

Reed’s lawyers have also, as recently as this week, brought forward more witnesses who have corroborated Reed’s claim that he and Stites were in a relationship or have placed suspicion instead on Fennell. In 2007, Fennell was sentenced to 10 years in prison after he kidnapped and allegedly raped a woman while on duty as a police officer. One man said Fennell confessed to him that he killed Stites while they were in prison together.

Fennell’s lawyer, Robert Phillips, has laughed off these new, 11th hour witnesses, saying they pale in comparison to the evidence against Reed.

On Thursday, Reed had appeals pending in the trial court, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, federal district court and the U.S. Supreme Court. His appeals ask the courts to stop his execution and further review his case based on the newest witnesses who have come forward, a repeated plea to test for DNA evidence on the belt suspected to have been used to strangle Stites, the reexamined forensic evidence, Fennell’s refusal to speak at an appellate hearing, and a procedural concern over which judge should have signed the execution warrant. His clemency petition, requesting a stay or change of sentence, was also on file with the governor’s office and the parole board.

On his own, Abbott has the power to delay Reed’s execution for 30 days. With a recommendation from the parole board, however, the governor can approve a longer stay of execution or change Reed’s death sentence to one of life in prison. The board usually votes remotely on such matters at 1 p.m. two days before the execution date. In Reed’s case, that means a vote could come Monday, though the board chair can move it up. During Abbott's tenure, which began in 2015, he has changed one condemned man's sentence to life after a unanimous vote by the parole board. Forty-eight men have been executed.

Alcala, who is now a policy director for the Texas Defender Services, said she was surprised there hadn't already been a stay in Reed's case, but she still believes the new filings — specifically the more narrow procedural concern — will lead to a stay. At this point, she said she expects Abbott, if he wants to get involved, to first wait a few days to see what her old court, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals does. The U.S. Supreme Court also is scheduled to discuss the case Friday, but they wouldn't likely rule until next week.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/11...tion-pressure/
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Senior Member Frequent Poster NanduDas's Avatar

Texas parole board recommends Greg Abbott delay Rodney Reed execution

The board's recommendation goes to Gov. Greg Abbott, who can reject or accept it.

By Jolie McCullough
    The Texas Tribune

The fate of death row inmate Rodney Reed rests in Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott’s hands.

The Texas parole board voted unanimously Friday to recommend that Abbott halt the Wednesday execution of Reed amid mounting pressure from state and federal lawmakers on both sides of the aisle, A-list celebrities, and millions of people who signed online petitions.

The board’s recommendation of a 120-day reprieve goes to Abbott, who can either accept or reject it. Abbott has stopped one execution since taking office in 2015, also at the unanimous urging of the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles. But that case was about mercy and granting the wishes of the only surviving victim. Reed’s case centers on doubts about his guilt in the murder that landed him on death row more than two decades ago.

Reed, now 51, was convicted and sentenced to death in the 1996 murder of 19-year-old Stacey Stites in Bastrop. For more than two decades, Reed has maintained his innocence. His lawyers have consistently pointed to new evidence — presenting new witnesses even this week — that they say instead puts suspicion on Stites’ fiancé, Jimmy Fennell.

Both Reed and Fennell have been accused of multiple sexual assaults. Reed was indicted, but never convicted, in several other rape cases months before his trial in Stites’ death began in 1998. Fennell spent 10 years in prison after he kidnapped and allegedly raped a woman while on duty as a police officer in 2007.

Stites’ body was found partially unclothed in Bastrop County hours after she didn’t show up to her grocery store job, according to court records. Fennell’s truck was found abandoned in a nearby school parking lot. Pieces of Stites’ belt, which is believed to have been used to strangle her, were found at both locations.

Stites was originally a suspect, but the prosecution turned to Reed about a year later when they found sperm cells that matched him inside her body. Reed said he and Stites had a consensual, casual relationship. His attorneys recently brought forward witnesses like Stites’ cousin and coworkers to corroborate that claim, but Bastrop County prosecutors and Stites’ family strongly deny it. Reed’s lawyers argued his case highlights long-standing prejudices doubting that Reed, a black man, would be romantically involved with Stites, a white woman. He was convicted by an all-white jury.

Reed currently has appeals pending at multiple levels, from the trial court to the U.S. Supreme Court. In his appeals, he has repeatedly asked for, and been denied, DNA testing on the belt thought to have been used to strangle Stites. He also noted that forensic evidence has been reexamined, with the medical examiner now saying Reed’s sperm could have been in Stites from consensual sex, and has presented more witnesses, including a man who claims Fennell confessed to Stites’ murder to him while in prison.

In recent months, more and more people have called for a stop to Reed’s scheduled execution. Dozens of Texas House members and more than half of the state Senate — including Democrats and Republicans — signed onto letters to Abbott and the parole board asking for more time to review new evidence. Calls to stop Reed’s execution also came from numerous Democratic presidential candidates and A-list celebrities on daytime TV shows and the red carpet.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/11...ecommend-stay/
    Last edited by Helen; 11-15-2019 at 06:31 PM. Reason: added image
    "The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer." -Theodore Roosevelt

Member Newbie
    Rodney Reed: Death row inmate’s lawyers file new legal bid to halt execution scheduled in days

Lawyers for a man scheduled to be executed next week have filed a new legal bid to halt his death sentence.

Rodney Reed was convicted of raping and strangling 19-year-old Stacy Stites in 1996 while she was on her way to work at a supermarket in Bastrop, around 30 miles southeast of the Texan city of Austin.

The 51-year-old has long maintained that the teenager was killed by her fiance Jimmy Fennell.

He has claimed that former police officer was angry about the fact that they were having an affair and that he was black and she was white.

His lawyers have now claimed in a new legal filing that seven new witnesses would help prove his innocence. They hope to void the execution writ which was signed in July.

Protesters have staged rallies outside the Bastrop County district attorney’s office and heard from speakers including members of the inmate’s family.

His lawyers say other recent affidavits also corroborate the relationship between Stites and Reed.

Mr Fennell’s attorney has said his client did not kill Stites and prosecutors maintain they believe Reed is guilty.

Texas remains the death penalty capital of the US even as executions nationwide hover at historic lows.

Last year, about half of the 25 executions nationwide took place in Texas, which has put eight people to death this year.

Additional reporting by Associated Press

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9204506.html

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information