Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jose Alfredo Rivera - Texas Death Row

Jose Alfredo Rivera - Texas Death Row

Facts of the Crime:

Jose Rivera was convicted of the July 9, 1993 sexual assault and strangulation of three-year-old Luis Daniel Blanco in Brownsville. The young victim was led to Lincoln Park by a neighbor, where he was sexually assaulted by Rivera and stangled with the elastic from his own underwear. His nude body was found floating in a park pond the next day.

Rivera was sentenced to death in Cameron County in June 1994.

On February 6, 2011, Rivera filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/tex...v00038/865831/

Jose Rivera was convicted of the July 9, 1993 sexual assault and strangulation of three-year-old Luis Daniel Blanco in Brownsville. The young victim was led to Lincoln Park by a neighbor, where he was sexually assaulted by Rivera and stangled with the elastic from his own underwear. His nude body was found floating in a park pond the next day
    And the award for the most horrendous crime commited by a resident of Texas death row goes to ...
    :mad:

Hmm I think we just might make a supporter out of you after all!

You think Rivera is bad? Check out this thread.

Blaine Milam

Haha that's a little optimistic Heidi!

Even as an anti, I can recognise a horrific crime when I see one.

And I can't even comment on the Miliam case.

One can only imagine the look on the defence attorney's face when he saw the charges he was defending his client from.

On May 1, 2012, Rivera filed an appeal in the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit over the apparent denial of his habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/cir.../ca5/12-40481/

aclay
    Is this guy done with his appeals? Also, I think his middle name is Alfredo instead of Angel.

Aclay to answer your question he isn't done his appeals, he's on the third to last level. He has to get denied by the fifth circuit, then he has to be denied again on en banc then denied by the supreme court. Once he is denied by Scotus his appeals will be done. If you want a time estimate he should be done everything in 2-3 years, but I could be wrong.

He uses Angel as his middle name on his legal appeals so we go by that. He could've changed it to Angel while in prison however.

aclay
    Thanks for responding. I wonder why some inmates are done with their appeals in less than 10 years while others take almost 30 years to complete.

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    Some are granted a new trial or sentencing phase, which starts the appeals process over again. Some file new appeals based on several new supreme court rulings that have happened over the last few years. Other times a higher appeals court may send the case back to a lower court to review it again. There are many reasons why each case moves through the appeals process differently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information