Aljarez Elliott

Alzy Diamond

Minor argument escalated to shooting; 2 dead, 2 in jail

Two men were shot and killed Wednesday and two others were arrested in a Fayetteville neighborhood after an argument over the phone, according to police.

On Wednesday before 3:30 a.m., detectives with the Fayetteville Police Department responded to a shooting at a home in the 700 block of Rembrandt Drive.

When they arrived, officers found four men who had been shot. Two men, Aljarez Elliott, 18, and Alzy Diamond, 24, were pronounced dead at the scene. Two other men were transported to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center.

According to police, the four were hanging out at the home when they got into an argument with two other men over the phone.

Police say those men, Tyrone Demetrius Washington, 21, and Treshaun Lewis Geddie, 21, both of Fayetteville, then came to the home and opened fire.

Both are charged with two counts of first-degree murder, two counts of attempted first-degree murder, felony conspiracy and discharging a weapon into an occupied dwelling.

"What little we know about the allegations at this point ... was that the parties did know each other," Cumberland County District Attorney Billy West said. "The disagreement was a fairly minor one and one that just developed."

West said he is alarmed by the number of young people using weapons to settle disputes.

"That is a trend, I think, we've seen in recent years is the offenders getting younger and younger, and they are carrying a weapon as if it were a fashion accessory," he said.

He hopes the quick arrests of Washington and Geddie brings some closure to grieving families and sends a message to others.

"We're going to aggressively prosecute those involved in gun violence, and at the same time we've also got to educate our young people about about the dangers of gun violence," West said.

Through May 31, there have been 28 murders in Fayetteville and Cumberland County in 2023. All but six of them have been solved.

Young father, military recruit shot and killed

Aldarris Elliot told WRAL News it was his brother and cousin who were killed. He was getting ready to go to work when a cousin called him with the news.

"All I know was that they were outside and they said that a car had pulled up and started shooting at them," he said.

Aljarez Elliott, 18, was set to graduate from Cape Fear High School this June. He had dreams of joining the military.

"It hurts," Aldarris Elliot said. "That's my baby brother. I don't have any more brothers now."

Aldarris is one of three brothers, but his other brother died from a heart attack earlier this month.

"I just lost a brother [who had] a heart attack on May 8," Aldarris said. "And so when I heard the news, I broke down. Because I couldn't ... I don't know how much more I can take."

Alzy Diamond, 24, had a 1-year-old daughter.

The investigation is ongoing.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective D. Arnett at 910-929-2565. If you would like to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 910-483-8477 or fay-nccrimestoppers.org.

https://www.wral.com/story/minor-arg...jail/20887883/