Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pete Russell, Jr. - Texas Death Row

Pete Russell, Jr. - Texas Death Row

Facts of the Crime:

On August 13, 2001, in Houston, Russell fatally stabbed Tanjala Brewer, 40, who he believed had set him up on a delivery-of-cocaine charge. Russell was sentenced to ten years on the cocaine charge and committed this offense while on bond from the court to get his personal affairs in order before serving his sentence.

Russell was sentenced to death in Harris County on February 26, 2003.

IN THE COURT OF CRIMINAL APPEALS
    OF TEXAS

NO. WR-78,128-01
    EX PARTE PETE RUSSELL, JR.

ON APPLICATION FOR POST-CONVICTION WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS
    CAUSE NO. 898795 IN THE 262ND DISTRICT COURT
    HARRIS COUNTY
    Per Curiam.

O R D E R

In February 2003, a jury found applicant guilty of the offense of capital murder. The jury answered the statutory punishment questions in such a way that the trial court set applicant's punishment at death. On May 25, 2004, the State filed in this Court its brief on applicant's direct appeal. Pursuant to Article 11.071 §§ 4(a) and (b) (1), applicant's initial application for a writ of habeas corpus was due to be filed in the trial court on or before October 7, 2004, assuming a motion for extension was timely filed and granted. It has been more than seven years since the application was due in the trial court. Accordingly, we order the trial court to resolve any remaining issues within 90 days from the date of this order. The clerk shall then transmit the complete writ record to this Court within 120 days from the date of this order. Any extensions of time shall be obtained from this Court.

IT IS SO ORDERED THIS THE 1ST DAY OF AUGUST, 2012.

http://law.justia.com/cases/texas/co...78-128-01.html

Jan
    EX PARTE PETE RUSSELL, JR

On November 27, 2013, the TCCA denied Russell's application for writ of habeas corpus.

Jan
    On December 12, 2013, Russell filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/tex...v03636/1139906

Letters From Death Row: Pete Russell, Texas Inmate 999443

We periodically publish letters from inmates on death row. Today, we bring you a message from convicted murderer Pete Russell, who has been on death row in Texas for the past 11 years.

Russell was convicted of the 2001 stabbing death of Tanjala Brewer, who had given police a tip that led to Russell being arrested on drug charges. He was 28 at the time of the murder, and had previously served eight years in prison on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Russell was given a copy of our letter by Willie Trottie, another Texas inmate who wrote to us.

Dear Mr. Nolan,

How are you doing? Mr. Willie Trottie gave me your name and address along with the six questions. I have answered all of them and hopefully they will make a small impression on someone, including yourself.

1. At this point, I do not have an execution date. I am still in the appeals process. However, Texas has a high execution rate of 89%. So most of their executions are carried out on/ as scheduled. The only thing we can hope for is the end of the death penalty.

2. Daily life on Death Row is very complex! The question itself is enough to drive a person crazy just trying to answer it. Here is a brief description of life on death row. "The inmate name is '999' yes he is a number. The inmate is somebody, at the same time a no-body. Daily life for the inmate is hot and cold. Good times and bad times, but these feelings take place in the mind." Please- help us!

3. I would say that my past and upbringing was ok. I'm sure that it could have been better, but over all, as I reflect on the past, I can honestly say I miss it! I miss being little, the baby, the center of attention. My mom picking me up and feeding me. I know that I was loved. Now, at the time, I did not have any concept of being poor, never heard of the word poverty. My upbringing was just love, respect and being a good kid. I remember the lights being off in the house [over]

And my mother running an extension cord out the window to our neighbors house. If our water was off my mother would take a big, five gallon bucket next door and come back with hot water, so we could take a hot bath. Thats a look into my past and upbringing and I'm not ashamed of it.

4. [To the question of whether life in prison has changed his political or spiritual beliefs] Yes, it has. On the political level. I would cast my vote for the Green Party. The Democrats and Republicans are two feathers on the same bird. Concerning my religious beliefs, I practice Siddha yoga meditation.

5. The death penalty for the media is nothing but news! Regardless if the person is innocent or guilty they see nothing but news- nothing more. The public view of the death penalty is base on the Old and New testament- so the debate continues for or against.

6. I would like to say my name is Pete Russell and I am a human being. To the public and to our country, I would like to say I'm a human being, not a monster! I can not stress this point enough. To get a clear picture of who I am and what I've become, I highly suggest you read: "Texas Death Row Yogi" at www.lulu.com. In the end I wish peace on everybody.

Previously
    You can read all of our letters from death row inmates here.

http://gawker.com/letters-from-death...994-1601996664
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

ARTICLE 11.071 APPLICATION FOR WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS DISMISSED WITH WRITTEN ORDER:

http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Searc...b-56e09c8f3ea1

Federal habeas relief denied by the district court on 7/23/2019.

https://cases.justia.com/federal/dis...?ts=1563957695

On August 28, 2019, Russell filed an appeal to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ci...s/ca5/19-70015
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

The panel was made up of Judges Graves (Obama), Willett (Trump) and Engelhardt (Trump).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information