Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Juan Ramon Meza Segundo - Texas

Juan Ramon Meza Segundo - Texas

Summary of Offense:

On August 3, 1986, in Tarrant County, Segundo raped and strangled to death 11-year-old Vanessa Villa. A DNA link to Segundo was established almost 20 years later.

Segundo was sentenced to death in February 2007.

Serial killer?

Police: DNA links '94 slaying to death row inmate

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — Police say a database has confirmed an investigator's suspicions, linking a death row inmate to a 1994 slaying through DNA.

Juan Segundo had already been linked through DNA to the rape and strangulations of two women and a young girl between 1986 and 1995. He is on death row for killing the 11-year-old girl.

But the death of 23-year-old Melissa Badillo remained unsolved until 2010, when a cold case detective researching a map discovered the Badillo case matched the mode of operation of Segundo.

Detective Tom O'Brien then discovered that the fingernail scrapings from Badillo's autopsy were never processed for DNA.

Recently, the genetic match was made, confirming what O'Brien suspected.

To police, Segundo was a logical suspect in the Badillo case. But to Badillo's sister, Sylvia Sanchez, he was a former neighbor on Fort Worth's north side and big brother to Badillo's best friend.

"When the detective told me that he was a suspect, the blood just ran down to my feet because I couldn't fathom that he would do that knowing who we are, knowing we grew up in the same barrio, that we were from the same block," Sanchez said in Friday editions of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Tarrant County prosecutor Christy Jack did not find it surprising that Segundo has been linked to another homicide, considering his past conviction and his confirmed connections to other cases. But because he's already on death row, she said it has not been determined whether he will ever be tried in any other cases, including Badillo's.

"We will continue to investigate all of the unsolved cold cases until we have the full measure of his handiwork," Jack said. "A decision will be made at that time as to whether he is to be tried a second time."

In fall 1994, the 23-year-old Badillo left home and never returned. Her nude body was found in a wooded area in September. She had been strangled.

Sanchez raised Badillo's infant daughter, Angela Badillo, as her own, only revealing the true identity and tragic fate of her real mother a few years ago.

"It wasn't like I was left alone. I had people here for me. I had a good family around me," Angela Badillo, now 17, said. "I was grateful to have what I have, instead of being left with nothing."

But having only photographs and not personal memories of her mother, Angela Badillo acknowledged, can be difficult.

"My mother was taken from me at 5 months old. I was robbed of the chance to know her firsthand and that had always weighed heavily on my shoulders," Angela Badillo said. "That weight slowly lifted as I grew to know her through the memories of others. She touched so many lives with the time she had.

"I was once told that I could honor her with everything that I do; to live my life according to plan. It may not always be easy, but when she looks down on me, I know she'd be proud."

On Wednesday, O'Brien and homicide Sgt. Cheryl Johnson met with Segundo in Huntsville, and he refused to discuss the case.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/art...#ixzz1QugGoX28

On December 8, 2011, Segundo filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/tex...v00970/202127/

On December 7, 2015, Segundo's habeas petition was DENIED in Federal District Court.

https://docs.justia.com/cases/federa...0970/202127/70

On January 8, 2016, Segundo filed an appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ci...s/ca5/16-70001

COA denied today by the 5th Circuit.

http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions...-70001-CV0.pdf

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Appeal Rejected For Man On Death Row For Killing Fort Worth Girl

HOUSTON (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — A federal appeals court has refused an appeal from a Texas death row inmate who was arrested nearly 19 years after an 11-year-old Fort Worth girl was raped and strangled in her home.

The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Thursday rejected claims from 53-year-old Juan Segundo that his lawyers at his 2006 Tarrant County trial were deficient for failing to properly investigate and develop evidence he was intellectually disabled.

Segundo’s wife was a family friend of Vanessa Villa, who was found dead in 1986 in her home. On the day she was attacked Vanessa had stayed home instead of going with her mother, brother and little sister to run an errand. When her family returned home, less than an hour later, they found her barely clinging to life.

A DNA match in a national database nearly two decades later tied Segundo to her slaying.

DNA evidence also linked Segundo to the rapes and strangling of two other women in the Fort Worth area in 1994 and 1995.

http://cbsloc.al/2aT2b3z

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Segundo's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
    Case Nos.: (16-70001)
    Decision Date: July 28, 2016

Appeals exhausted. Ruling could result in execution date.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

2 Texas death row inmates lose at US Supreme Court

HOUSTON (AP) - Two men on death row for separate slayings in the Dallas-Fort Worth area have lost appeals before the U.S. Supreme Court.

The justices, without comment Monday, have refused to review the cases of 52-year-old Joseph Lave (luh-VAH') and 54-year-old Juan Segundo.

Lave was condemned for the November 1992 robbery at a suburban Dallas sporting goods store where two 18-year-old employees - Justin Marquart and Frederick Banzhaf - were fatally bludgeoned with a hammer and nearly decapitated.

Segundo was arrested nearly 19 years after an 11-year-old Fort Worth girl was raped and strangled in her home in 1986. A DNA match in a national database in 2005 tied Segundo to the slaying of Vanessa Villa.

Neither man has an execution date.

http://m.kcbd.com/kcbd/db_355944/contentdetail.htm
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

The Tarrant DA better go after this guy now. He's done his appeals and Davila is out of the way.

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    Does Tarrant County typically not have more than one active date at a time? I don't see why they wouldn't.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information