Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Juan Ramon Meza Segundo - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by one_two_bomb View Post
    This was expected? On what grounds? Retardation?
    Yes.

Another case where the courts want to waste everyone's time. A mentally challenged person doesn't stay undetected from committing serial murders for two decades. So in another two years or so he will be back on the gurney. Shame.

32 years after the rape, murder of his little sister, a brother still waits for justice

By Deanna Boyd
    The Fort Worth Star-Telegram

FORT WORTH - Juan Segundo did more than take a life when he climbed through a bedroom window in 1986 and raped and strangled 11-year-old Vanessa Villa.

Enrique Estrada Balderas, Vanessa’s older brother, says Segundo not only killed his sister, he forever altered Balderas’ life and the lives of his family. When Balderas later had children of his own, what happened to his sister was never far from his mind.

He made his three children sleep in the same room as him and his wife, first all together in their king-size bed and later on bunk beds that he set up in the room. They would not move into their own rooms until they were teenagers, he said.

He nailed all the windows shut “so nobody could open them.”

“I have an alarm. I have a German Shepherd inside the house all the time,” Balderas said. “He changed my life. I don’t let nobody get near my kids.”

It’s a paranoid life, Balderas said. One that he never wanted.

Balderas said he had hoped to get some relief today when he and other family members planned to travel to Hunstville to witness Segundo being executed. But on Friday, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals granted Segundo a stay of execution based on the 55-year-old man’s claim that he is intellectually disabled.

Being left in limbo again and not knowing if the Texas Attorney General’s Office will appeal the stay is frustrating.

“Not knowing and thinking they are going to let him stay for the rest of his life in prison, he don’t deserve it. He don’t deserve it,” Balderas said. “He took my sister’s life. She was 11 years old.”

“I’m mad. I’m very mad because I don’t think that my kids are free because of me. Because I think someone is going to do something to them,” Balderas said.

The night of Aug. 3, 1986, Vanessa had turned down her mom’s invitation to go to a nearby store with the family.

“She said no, she was tired. She wanted to go to sleep,” Balderas recalled.

When they returned to their home in north Fort Worth less than 30 minutes later, Rosa Maria Clarke went to the bedroom she shared with her daughter.

“Then she started screaming that something happened to Vanessa, so I came out of my room and looked at her. She was laying on the bed half-naked,” Balderas said. “... My mom, she was talking to her, screaming at her, but there was no reaction.”

Vanessa, an elementary school student who worked weekends selling cowboy hats and boots at a flea market, was taken to the hospital but was pronounced dead a short time later.

Her killer had entered the bedroom through a window. Police found an overturned white 5-gallon bucket underneath the window, apparently used as a step to climb inside. During the attack, Vanessa’s three young cousins slept undisturbed in another room.

As the case went unsolved for so many years, Balderas said, the family couldn’t trust anyone. When someone walked by their house, they were suspicious and wondered if it could be Vanessa’s killer.

“It was hard for us not knowing who did it,” Balderas said. “... We didn’t know where to look.”

The family was shocked when in 2005, a DNA database linked Segundo to the crime and he was arrested. He was a one-time acquaintance whose ex-wife used to work with Vanessa’s mom and Balderas at a nursing home and whom they knew as “Johnny.”

”I got kind of shocked because at the funeral, he was there. He signed the book,” Balderas said. ”How can you do something like that and then go see her... Come and see her laying there in her casket. What kind of people would do that?”

Segundo would later be linked through DNA to three other murder victims: Melissa Badillo. Maria Navarro, and Francene Williams.

All three women had been discovered dead in Fort Worth in 1994 and 1995. Each had also been raped and strangled.

Sylvia Sanchez, Badillo’s sister, said she knew Segundo for many years and scoffed at his claim that he is intellectually disabled.

“He’s very bright, He’s not insane. He’s not crazy,” Sanchez said. “In all these years that he’s been in prison, all of the sudden he’s crazy? He’s nuts and he can’t be executed because of that? No ma’am. This man is smart and he knows exactly what he’s doing.”

Sanchez said while she hopes the state appeals the stay of execution, she finds some comfort in knowing that even if Segundo is never put to death, “he will suffer for the rest of his life because he’s a child killer and he’s in prison with prisoners who don’t like child killers.”

“He will always have to look over his shoulder because of what he did to this poor little baby,” Sanchez said.

Clarke, Vanessa’s mother, who died in 2013, had not wanted Segundo to be executed for her daughter’s killing.

“She said that God will take care of it,” Balderas said. “She said if he’ll live for the rest of his life in prison, she’d be happy with it.”

But Balderas said he wanted, and still longs for, Segundo to be put to death.

When Segundo was sentenced to death in December 2006 for Vanessa’s murder, Balderas said he’d been warned that there would be a long wait.

So when the execution date was finally set months ago for today, Balderas, his brother and sister and an aunt planned to be present to watch Segundo take his last breath.

“I just want to make sure that he’s gone. I just want to make sure,” Balderas said.

Now, he waits again.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...219680490.html

In today's orders, the US Supreme Court DENIED Segundo's certiorari petition.

Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
    Case Numbers: (18-11265, 18-70029)
    Decision Date: December 13, 2018

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/18-9265.html

Death sentence vacated by the TCCA

https://search.txcourts.gov/handdown...ate=05/25/2022
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Texas Court of Criminal Appeals rules serial murderer ineligible for death penalty

By Alex Keller
    CBS News

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) - The state's highest court said on May 25 that a man convicted of raping and killing an 11-year-old girl is no longer eligible for the death penalty and reformed his sentence to life.

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals said that under current diagnostic criteria, Juan Segundo is now considered intellectually disabled and can no longer be executed.

In 1986, Vanessa Villa, 11, was at home alone while her family ran errands when she was strangled and raped inside her home. The case went cold for nearly two decades until Juan Segundo was arrested in 2005.

Between Villa's murder and his arrest Segundo raped and killed two other women.

Segundo was convicted of capital murder in 2006 and sentenced to death. His attorneys filed a claim that he was intellectually disabled and should not be executed. At the time, these claims were rejected by courts under then-current medical diagnostic criteria.

In 2018, Segundo's attorney's argued that the previous claim of intellectual disability had been analyzed under an outdated and unconstitutional standard and should be reexamined.

The American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders and the American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities -- both of which had been updated since Segundo's previous assessment -- were used to evaluate his status.

Dr. Stephen Thorne, a forensic psychologist, determined that under the new criteria, Segundo was no longer eligible for the death penalty. According to a ruling by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, "The diagnostic criteria detailed in the manuals were 'revised so drastically and pervasively that what it even means to be intellectually disabled has substantively changed, that only means that the mental health experts' understanding of the condition has evolved.'"

Under these conditions, Segundo is now considered intellectually disabled and is ineligible for the death penalty. His sentence has been reformed to life and he will be up for parole in 2026.

https://www.cbsnews.com/dfw/news/tex...death-penalty/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Another faker, animal gets away.....

So he raped and killed 3 people, and he's up for parole in less than 4 years.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thanks TCCA! Very cool!
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information