Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Anthony Allen Shore - Texas Execution - January 18, 2018

'Tourniquet Killer' executed in Texas for 1992 strangling

Texas carried out the nation's first execution of 2018 Thursday evening, giving lethal injection to a man who became known as Houston's "Tourniquet Killer" because of his signature murder technique on four female victims.

Anthony Allen Shore was put to death for one of those slayings, the 1992 killing of a 21-year-old woman whose body was dumped in the drive-thru of a Houston Dairy Queen.

In his final statement, Shore, 55, was apologetic and his voice cracked with emotion.

"No amount of words or apology could ever undo what I've done," Shore said. "I wish I could undo the past, but it is what it is."

He was pronounced dead at 6:28 p.m. CST.

Shore's lawyers argued in appeals he suffered brain damage early in life that went undiscovered by his trial attorneys and affected Shore's decision to disregard their advice when he told his trial judge he wanted the death penalty. A federal appeals court last year turned down his appeal, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to review his case and the six-member Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles unanimously rejected a clemency petition.

Shore's attorneys said his appeals were exhausted. They filed no last-minute attempts to try to halt his execution.

In 1998, Shore received eight years' probation and became a registered sex offender for sexually assaulting two relatives. Five years later, Shore was arrested for the 1992 slaying of Maria del Carmen Estrada after a tiny particle recovered from under her fingernail was matched to his DNA.

"I didn't set out to kill her," he told police in a taped interview played at his 2004 trial. "That was not my intent. But it got out of hand."

Estrada was walking to work around 6:30 a.m. on April 16, 1992, when he she accepted a ride from him. The former tow truck driver, phone company repairman and part-time musician blamed his actions on "voices in my head that I was going to have her, regardless, to possess her in some way."

He also confessed to killing three others, a 9-year-old and two teenagers. All four of his victims were Hispanic and at least three had been raped. Jurors also heard from three women who testified he raped them.

Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg, who as an assistant prosecutor worked the then-unsolved Estrada case, said crime scene photos showed Estrada was tortured and had suffered as a stick was used to tighten a cord around her neck.

"I know this case, I know his work and the death penalty is appropriate," she said. "A jury in this case gave Shore death. ... I think he's reached the end of the road and now it's up to government to complete the job."

Besides Estrada, Shore confessed to the slayings of Laurie Tremblay, 15, found beside a trash bin outside a Houston restaurant in 1986; Diana Rebollar, 9, abducted while walking to a neighborhood grocery store in 1994; and Dana Sanchez, 16, who disappeared in 1995 while hitchhiking to her boyfriend's home in Houston.

Sanchez's body was found after a caller to a Houston TV station provided directions on where to find it. Police believe Shore was the caller.

Shore's execution originally was set for last October but was delayed for an investigation after another Texas death row inmate concocted a scheme to get Shore to take responsibility for his crimes.

In 2017, 23 convicted killers were put to death in the U.S., seven of them in Texas, more than another state. Three more inmates are scheduled to die in Texas in the coming weeks.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/t...-2018-52426235
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

In 1998, Shore received eight years' probation and became a registered sex offender for sexually assaulting two relatives.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/t...-2018-52426235
    Two relatives? They were his daughters not some cousin, or distant relative.

No wonder his own daughter wanted him dead.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Last Statement

I like to take a moment to say I am sorry. No amount of words could ever undo what I've done. To the Family of my victims I wish I could undo the past it is what it is. God bless all of you and I will die with a clear conscious.

I made my peace. There are no others. I will like to wish a happy birthday to Barbara Carrol today is her birthday. I would like to specially thank those that have helped me you know who you are. God bless everybody until we meet again. I'm ready warden.

As the lethal injection started and was travelling through his veins, Anthony Shore did say that "It does burn", however this was a passing comment and he was in no distress.

Anthony Shore did not make eye contact with witnesses and stared at the ceiling as he gave his last statement.

https://twitter.com/Death__Penalty
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member Frequent Poster Shep3's Avatar
    One less scum bag hopefully this helps put the false confessions to bed

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    ‘Oooh!‘ says Texas Tourniquet Killer throughout deadly jab

By Lockport Staff

A Texas death row inmate complained of a burning sensation as he was executed by lethal injection, exclaiming: “Ooh-ee! I can feel that.”

Anthony Allen Shore, 55, became the first convict to be executed in the US this year on Thursday evening.

Known as the Tourniquet Killer, he apologised to his victims before the fatal drug jab of pentobarbital.

The US constitution bans cruel and unusual punishment. Critics say lethal injections violate that legal standard.

Judges in several US states have issued temporary prohibitions on this execution method, after inmates appeared to suffer during the injections.

Shore admitted to killing a woman and three girls, and requested the death penalty at trial.

He was given his grim moniker because of his method of strangling his victims in Houston with a homemade tourniquet.

All four of his victims were Hispanic, murdered over a nine-year period starting in 1986.

Three of them were raped.

They were Laurie Lee Tremblay, 14; Maria Del Carmen Estrada, 21; Diana Rebollar, nine; and Dana Sanchez, 16.

Shore was convicted of murder in 2004 after his DNA, which police had taken when he was convicted of child abuse in 1998, was found on one of his victims.

While strapped to the execution gurney, his voice cracked with emotion as he apologised to his victims, according to an Associated Press (AP) reporter who witnessed his death.

“No amount of words or apology could ever undo what I‘ve done,” Shore said.

“I wish I could undo the past, but it is what it is.”

Thirteen minutes after the injection, he was declared dead.

AP reporter Mike Graczyk told reporters afterwards: “He said you could feel it, it was hot, it was burning.”

“He goes, ‘Ohhh, ooooh wee,‘ is how he put it,” he added.

https://lockportpress.com/oooh-says-...ut-deadly-jab/

Executed Houston serial killer confessed to 60 more rapes

By Keri Blakinger
    The Houston Chronicle

No one knows their names or ages, what they did or where they lived. But Anthony Shore says he raped them.

In the weeks before his execution, the Houston serial strangler known as the Tourniquet Killer confessed to another 60 rapes, according to two sources familiar with the investigation.

The former wrecker driver who last week became the nation's first killer executed in 2018 also admitted to two copycat assaults in the 1970s previously attributed to a Sacramento predator known as the East Area Rapist — a case in which his sisters already suspected him.

"Everywhere we lived, there was a rapist," his youngest sister, Laurel Scheel, told the Chronicle.

The four-time killer confessed to law enforcement before his Thursday night execution, boasting of seducing strangers at bars, dosing them with Rohypnol — the so-called date-rape drug — and sexually assaulting them in the back of his van, the sources said.

He didn't remember any details, except that he raped them.

This isn't the first time Shore has offered up a confession with scant evidence. Late last year, he falsely copped to two other slayings, then got his first execution date pushed back after investigators learned of an alleged plot to confess to a third murder.

Now, less than a week after his death by lethal injection, the charismatic killer has left behind a new trail of unanswered questions.

One woman who knew him recalled many nights of drug-fueled parties — and black spots in her memory.

"I know that he drugged and date-raped me," said the woman, who asked not to be identified.

And it wasn't just her, she said. There were others.

The musical prodigy who grew up to become one of the Bayou City's most notorious serial killers was hit with the state's harshest punishment in 2004 for the rape and murder of 21-year-old Maria del Carmen Estrada, one in a series of brutal slayings that terrorized Harris County in the 1980s and 1990s.

When police finally caught up with him — after a DNA breakthrough tied him to the last of the killings — he calmly confessed to three additional murders as well as a rape.

Even early on, there were whisperings of more.

"He would allude to other things, but it was always an allusion," said defense attorney Patrick McCann, who defended Shore during his initial trial. "'If you guys only knew the whole story.' But honestly, we were just trying not to ask questions we didn't want the answers to."

During the punishment phase of his 2004 trial, the court heard about how he raped a handful of other women, including his pre-teen daughters. Those crimes had previously landed him on the sex offender registry, which is how police got the DNA they later matched to a cold case.

A 2007 true crime book, "The Strangler" by Corey Mitchell, offered other chilling details, including an ex-wife who suspected he'd drugged and raped her, even during their marriage.

If the circle of victims was even wider, though, there wasn't any proof.

Eventually, the public stopped asking questions. His name fell out of the headlines. He grew old on death row as his attorneys quietly fought his appeals.

But for 13 years, Shore's life went on. He picked up pen pals and found new friends, even from the silence of his prison cell.

One of those pen pals was a woman named Lea. Still in her late teens, she started writing the condemned killer more than a decade before his death, and the two grew to be close friends.

"He would always say, 'You're the only one who will love me regardless," said the woman, now 28, who asked that her last name not be used. "I think he is genuinely remorseful for what he did, but he also knew there was something wrong with him."

The two talked about their lives and their feelings, about spirituality and books. But they also spoke of darker things.

"There were a lot of rapes going back to when he was a teenager in California," she said. "A lot of the rapes he had said he just didn't know their names."

It's not clear when the alleged assaults started, but one of the first times Shore's sisters suspected him was when they lived in the Sacramento area, where the East Area Rapist was already making headlines.

Before his death — a few days before word of the new rape confessions emerged — his sister Gina Shore voiced suspicions about the California case, though she pointed about that the predator was already active when the Shores moved to the area.

"It's entirely possible that him or his friends did a copycat," she said last week.

Anthony Shore would have only been 17 or 18 years old at the time, and there may not be any DNA preserved from the case to help check his claims, one source said.

In his final days, Shore also claimed a slew of Houston-area rapes. But again, there's no evidence. His DNA doesn't match any unsolved assaults and he couldn't offer any details. It's not clear how so many assaults could have gone unreported, with no DNA left behind.

Nonetheless, he insisted to investigators that he'd regularly drugged girls in bars and raped them in his van, sources said. He even claimed he'd taken on two apprentices.

All told, he allegedly told authorities, there were roughly 60 victims.

"I doubt it ends at 60," Scheel said.

Tom Berg, first assistant at the Harris County District Attorney's Office, said the claims are being reviewed by the state.

"We're not really in a position to comment," Berg said. "We've got to wait for the Texas Rangers to more fully investigate."

The 11th-hour confessions don't seem to square with the killer's last words.

In his final statement, he claimed there were "no others." But some who knew him are skeptical.

"I call bull**** on 'There are no others,'" said the woman who described Shore's pattern of drugging and raping women. "There are no other what?"

Another woman who knew Shore told the Chronicle she sensed his regret. The former musician and longtime friend started writing Shore more than a decade ago, after getting in touch with her faith.

He wished her happy birthday in his final statement.

"I've got to say his final statement sounded like remorse to me," said the woman, who asked not to be named again. "And the fact that he took the time to wish me a happy birthday."

But his own family is less inclined to trust the killer's words.

For his daughter, Tiffany Hall, the fact that he signed over his remains to a pen pal instead of family is just another, final slap in the face.

"He was a pretty awful person in life," she said. "So it only follows that he would be an awful person in death."

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...0-12516362.php

April 1, 2018

Texas Rangers report offers new details about Houston serial killer's final admissions

In the days before his first scheduled death date, Houston serial killer Anthony Shore admitted to raping one woman at gunpoint in front of her husband and another at knifepoint after a break-in, according to newly released Department of Public Safety documents.

Also known as the Tourniquet Killer, Shore was executed in January for four killings in the Houston area in the 1980s and 1990s.

Afterward, sources told the Chronicle that he'd offered up a number of last-minute confessions, including two slayings, and a number of rapes in California and Texas.

Now, a report from October - just released after the state attorney general ordered DPS to turn it over following a records request - offers more detail on Shore's confessions surrounding the earlier crimes in California.

The first time the Texas Rangers interviewed Shore in the hopes of closing other cases, he wasn't willing to talk. At that point, he still had pending appeals and wanted court wranglings resolved before he would consider coming clean to any other sordid misdeeds.

So the Rangers left and started doing some digging.

"We conducted research into Shore's background and found he lived in numerous states throughout his childhood and adult years, and several police agencies had considered Shore as a suspect in numerous unsolved homicides and sexual assaults," they wrote in their report.

Then in mid-October - just two days before his first scheduled execution - they came back.

"We told Shore we were interested in 'clearing' any old crimes in which he was involved, and Shore agreed to speak with us freely," the Rangers wrote.

First, he clarified that he was not the I-45 Killer - though he had lived in the area at the time.

Instead, he admitted to participating in another serial crime, as a copycat of the East Area Rapist, a Sacramento-area criminal active in the late 70s and early 80s.

Then a teen, Shore's family was living in Citrus Heights, a suburb not far from the California capital. He followed the serial rapes on the news, and said he was already groping women on local bike trails.

"Shore alleged he would grab the female's breasts or buttocks and then would flee on his bicycle," according to the report. "He was never caught or questioned about these assaults; however, on one occasion, he was chased down by an adult male, who he believed to be one of his victim's fathers."

Riding a bicycle, the man chased him into a river bed and the two started struggling.

"According to Shore, he picked up a rock and hit the man in the head rendering him unconscious," the report notes. "He suspects the man may have died."

But, there were no reports of a murder like that in the news - so Shore never found out for certain.

In 1977 and 1978 - now confident after "getting away" with the groping - Shore raped two women in the Sacramento area.

First, he broke into a woman's house and held her at knife point before tying her up and raping her, according to the report.

Later, Shore said, he broke into a young couple's house.

"Shore allegedly tied up the man and the woman, and made the man 'watch' as he sexually assaulted the woman," the report said. "According to Shore, he used a gun, possibly a .38 caliber, to commit this crime."

The confessions surrounding the California crimes all came out just before Shore's first execution date, which was cancelled at the last minute in light of an alleged confession plot with a fellow death row prisoner.

It was reset for January, and in the days before his death he unloaded on the investigators again, boasting of seducing strangers at bars, dosing them with Rohypnol — the so-called date-rape drug — and sexually assaulting them in the back of his van, the Chronicle learned.

The October report only details the two rapes, but sources said that around the same time he falsely confessed to two slayings as well.

In 1986, he slaughtered 14-year-old Laurie Tremblay, snatching the girl up on her way to the bus stop then dumping her corpse behind a Ninfa's Restaurant. Six years later, he raped and murdered 21-year-old Maria del Carmen Estrada before leaving her naked body in the drive-through of a Spring Branch Dairy Queen.

In 1994, he killed 9-year-old Diana Rebollar. When her battered body was found, she was wearing only a black Halloween T-shirt — and a ligature twisted around her neck.

Less than a year later, he murdered 16-year-old Dana Sanchez, then reportedly called a local TV station to report a serial killer on the loose.

All of the victims were raped and tortured before he strangled them with handmade tourniquets.

Even after the conviction for molesting his daughters forced him onto the sex offender registry in 1998, it took another five years before authorities finally tested cold-case evidence and matched a murder to Shore.

He was executed on January 18.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...t-12797578.php

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information