Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Allen Shore - Texas Execution - January 18, 2018

Article

2 Texas Inmates Set to Die This Month Lose at Supreme Court

HOUSTON (AP) — The U.S. Supreme Court has refused appeals from two convicted killers facing execution in Texas this month.

The high court, without comment, declined to review appeals from death row inmates Robert Pruett and Anthony Shore.

The 38-year-old Pruett is set to die Oct. 12 for the 1999 fatal stabbing of a corrections officer at a South Texas prison where he already was serving a 99-year sentence for his involvement in another slaying. The 55-year-old Shore is set for lethal injection Oct. 18 for the 1992 slaying of a 20-year-old woman in Houston. He has confessed to that killing and three others.

The justices Monday also refused three other condemned Texas inmates, including Kwame Rockwell, of Fort Worth; Jaime Cole, an Ecuadoran convicted in Houston; and Garcia White, also from Houston.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-supreme-court
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Horrible person. Absolute poster child for the DP.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

'Tourniquet Killer' murderabilia hits internet just days from his expected execution

Cards and letters penned by notorious "Tourniquet Killer" Anthony Shore were listed this week on an online auction site, marking what could be the start of a grisly bonanza of serial killer memorabilia in the weeks leading up to Shore's expected execution later this month.

"This is just the beginning," said Andy Kahan, the city's victim advocate. "It's going to be open season for him for the next few weeks. His heightened maximum name value isn't going to be any better."

The letter and cards went up Tuesday on the True Crime Auction House website, where they're listed for between $105 and $175.

All were written to a pen pal on the outside. One features an unremarkable drawing of an unhappy cat in a Santa Claus hat, along with holiday wishes. But the others offer an eerie look at the thoughts of a publicly quiet killer, who has written and said relatively little since leaving a Harris County courtroom.

"I'm running outta time love, they gonna kill me 4 sure," Shore allegedly wrote in what the auction site lists as a 2015 missive from the condemned man. "Hopefully I'm alright till the first of the year at least (I hope)."

Shore - who once asked the court for a death sentence - was convicted of one count of capital murder in 2004, after he confessed to three others.

His rampage of rape and murder terrorized Harris County in the 1980s and 1990s, but the killings went unsolved for nearly two decades until the former telephone technician was collared for molesting two family members. Following the arrest, investigators hit on a DNA match with evidence from the cold case murder of Maria del Carmen Estrada.

Shore fessed up under questioning and was eventually sent to the state's death row in Livingston, where he's been for more than a decade.

"I soooo miss my girls & my greatest regret in my life was not being a better 'Daddy' when I had the chance & should have been," Shore wrote in 2015, according to the card posted on True Crime Auction House. "Now they are grown & far away & have nothing to do with me... not surprising I suppose... that is my cross to bear."

Later in the same writing, Shore laments the rough conditions of life on Texas death row.

"All is well as can maybe be expected after 13 years in a concrete & steel bunker, sensory deprive, alone," he wrote. "I seriously need a hug!"

The letters and cards include postmarked envelopes and feature handwriting similar to other Shore notes, but the condemned killer's lawyer did not immediately respond to a request for comment on their authenticity.

A True Crime Auction House co-owner, who asked not to be named citing privacy concerns given his line of work, vouched for the letter and card and said there's more waiting to be listed in the coming weeks.

"If you're going to make any money on Anthony Shore this is the time to do it," said Kahan, who's fought a decades-long battle against the sale of so-called murderabilia, saying it re-traumatizes victims' families and allows killers to profit on their notoriety.

"Unequivocally, from someone that's been watchdogging this industry, when an execution is scheduled it's like the floodgates open up for murderabilia dealers to put out items of the inmate who's scheduled to be executed," Kahan said.

But the dealer who listed the letter and cards said he doesn't expect the items to sell immediately; it's after Shore's death he anticipates a rise in interest.

"I think he'll be one of those people that once he's dead he'll be talked about but right now nobody really gives a s*** about him - even though he's one of Texas's most notorious living serial killers," the dealer said.

A few years ago, Serial Killers Ink sold one of Shore's drawings for $165, but it's not clear what else has been auctioned off over the years.

Currently, Shore is slated for execution by lethal injection on Oct. 18. The U.S. Supreme Court earlier this week rejected the 55-year-old killer's petition for a writ of certiorari, which would have forced a lower court to reconsider a request for appeal.

The rejected appellate claim, which rested on a claim that Shore suffered previously unrealized brain damage before the slayings, isn't his last hope, though.

There's still a long-shot request for clemency pending with the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles and a final appeal filed in Harris County court.

http://m.chron.com/news/houston-texa...php#item-39786
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

ARTICLE 11.071 APPLICATION FOR WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS DISMISSED WITH WRITTEN ORDER:

http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Searc...b-143f8cca8a35

Houston serial killer loses appeal one week before scheduled execution

By Keri Blakinger
    The Houston Chronicle

With just a week to go before his scheduled execution, Houston serial killer Anthony Shore lost a last-ditch appeal claiming decades-old unrealized brain damage left him so impaired he was not morally culpable for his crimes.

The so-called Tourniquet Killer slated for execution Wednesday was convicted of capital murder in 2004 after he confessed to brutally slaying four young women in the Houston area.

In the latest appeal, turned down by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals on Tuesday, Shore's lawyers argued that the extent of his brain damage rendered the execution unconstitutional, likening it to executing an intellectually disabled prisoner.

"Mr. Shore does not claim he is ineligible for the death penalty because he is unintelligent or uncharismatic," his lawyers wrote earlier this month in a court filing.

"Mr. Shore is ineligible for the death penalty because his brain injury decreases his moral culpability for his crimes, in the same way that a juvenile, despite intelligence or charisma, is nonetheless ineligible for the death penalty."

But the state's highest criminal court didn't buy into that argument.

"We find that applicant has failed to make a prima facie showing that a person with brain damage, like an intellectually disabled person, should be categorically exempt from execution," the court wrote in its decision.

"Accordingly, we dismiss this application as an abuse of the writ without reviewing the merits of the claim raised."

The failed appeal follows another courtroom disappointment, when the U.S. Supreme Court denied without comment his petition for writ of certiorari which, if granted, would have required a lower court to reconsider a request for appeal. Even before the court issued its decision, Shore's attorney, K. Knox Nunnally, admitted "the odds are not in our favor."

Now, Shore's hope rests on a clemency application filed with the state's Board of Pardons and Paroles.

Nunnally did not offer comment about Tuesday's decision.

Currently the only Houston killer with a scheduled execution, the 55-year-old was convicted of one killing in 2004, though he confessed to three others.

Shore's murderous rampage started in 1986, when he slaughtered 14-year-old Laurie Tremblay. Six years later, he raped and murdered 21-year-old Maria del Carmen Estrada. In 1994, he killed 9-year-old Diana Rebollar, a year before slaying 16-year-old Dana Sanchez.

The cases went unsolved for nearly two decades, until Shore had to register as a sex offender after he was convicted of molesting two family members.

Eventually, authorities linked Shore's newly registered DNA to evidence from the cold cases. When they brought the former telephone technician in for questioning, he calmly confessed to a string of rapes and murder in the Harris County area.

Now, he's scheduled to meet his fate in Huntsville on Oct. 18 at 6 p.m.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...k-12269801.php

Sister of notorious Houston serial killer: 'He should be killed'

By Keri Blakinger
    Houston Chronicle

Gina Shore feels it in her bones: There must have been more.

Sure as the tick-tick of the clock winding down her brother's final hours. Certain as the needle the state of Texas will slip into his arm. Fixed as the gruesome fates of the four girls he raped and murdered.

"I know in my heart without a doubt that there are more," she said. "There had to have been other girls."

But if there are, the world may never know.

Anthony Shore, the notorious Tourniquet Killer who terrorized the Bayou City in the 1980s and 1990s, is set to meet his fate Wednesday in Huntsville's death chamber.

"I think it will give closure," Gina said. "Then when people ask what about him, we can just say he's dead."

The 55-year-old former telephone technician was sent to death row in 2004, after confessing to the rapes and murders then begging the court for capital punishment.

He'd escaped detection for nearly two decades, but ultimately it was DNA — put on file after he was convicted of molesting his daughters and forced to register as a sex offender — that brought police to his door.

Since arriving on death row, he's waged a war against the state's harshest punishment, filing appeals blaming everything from ineffective lawyers to previously unrealized brain damage.

As of Monday, courts had slapped down all his last-ditch bids for life and the state's Board of Pardons and Paroles had turned down his request for clemency, according to Shore's attorney, Knox Nunnally.

Yet Shore's youngest sister, Laurel Scheel, holds a creeping fear of a darker chance for a stay — a last-minute slew of confessions. Houston police and the Harris County Sheriff's Office both confirmed he is not considered a suspect in any open cases.

But his family members — who spoke extensively to the Chronicle — have their doubts.

"He's good at keeping things hidden," Laurel said.

Since his sentencing, Shore has been tight-lipped with the media, even as he fired off a regular string of upbeat and neatly penned missives to his family.

"I will likely get a stay, but ya' just never know," he wrote his father in July, the same day a judge greenlit prosecutors' request for an October execution. "I'd prefer to live a bit longer but am ready if it's God's will."

Decades before his name became synonymous with a trail of bodies, Anthony Shore was a little boy with promise.

Smart as a whip and talented at any instrument set before him, he was "a musical prodigy who never realized his potential," as author Corey Mitchell wrote in his 2007 true-crime tale of the case.

"All my girlfriends were in love with him because he was so charismatic and cute," Laurel, now 47, said of her older brother, who taught her how to fight.

Their father's work with NASA forced the family to move cross-country repeatedly, but otherwise it was a normal upbringing.

"The only messed up part of my childhood was that my mom and dad split up," Gina, now 53, recalled.

But there were early signs something was amiss. Tony killed a neighbor's cat when he was 5 or 6, "because he didn't want it to run away," Gina said.

And as he grew older, his pastimes grew more sinister. He used his sister as bait to lure young girls outside. He once boasted that he and some friends had beaten a homeless man to death behind a grocery store.

Some actions, though, seemed off-kilter only in retrospect, like the time he told his mom his favorite thing about his girlfriend was "the nape of her neck."

It seemed innocent enough at the time.

"But then he turned out to be a strangler," Laurel said.

After spending the later part of his childhood in California, Tony moved back to Texas as a young adult.

He settled down and got married. He had two daughters.

He got a job. He joined a band.

And he became a serial killer.

In 1986, he slaughtered 14-year-old Laurie Tremblay, snatching the girl up on her way to the bus stop. Six years later, he raped and murdered 21-year-old Maria del Carmen Estrada before leaving her naked body in the drive-through of a Spring Branch Dairy Queen.

In 1994, he killed 9-year-old Diana Rebollar. When her battered body was found, she was wearing only a black Halloween T-shirt — and a ligature twisted around her neck.

Less than a year later, he murdered 16-year-old Dana Sanchez, then reportedly called a local TV station to report a serial killer on the loose.

All of the victims were raped and tortured before he strangled them with handmade tourniquets.

When he finally confessed to the four murders and another rape, his family was shocked. But they believed it right away.

"There wasn't a doubt in my mind," Laurel said. "Because of what he did to his daughters."

For years, Gina suspected something was amiss in her brother's household. Five times, she says, she reported her concerns to child-welfare authorities in Texas.

During a visit to Texas in 1995, one of Gina's friends reported Tony for child endangerment after noticing the windows nailed shut.

"They were locked in the house, they had no running water and no power," Gina said.

But it wasn't until the girls visited family on the West Coast in 1997 — during Tony's honeymoon following marriage to a woman 14 years his junior — that the truth came out.

Even after his conviction forced him on the sex offender registry in 1998, it took another five years before authorities finally tested cold-case evidence and matched a murder to Shore.

"I think he knew he was going to get caught," Laurel said.

Even as he waits out his last days behind bars, his family still describes him as a master manipulator. A control freak. A man always seeking to control the narrative.

But he confessed when it suited him. He asked for death when it suited him. And he argued for life when that suited him instead.

Years ago, Laurel said, she predicted an end-of-the-line appeal hinging on medical issues.

"And sure as s***, that was his last plea," she said, referencing the claims of brain damage from a 1981 car wreck that left him with mangled hands and a wire in his jaw.

"I think it's a load of crap," said his younger daughter, Tiffany Hall, now 32 and living in Arizona.

Gina simply snorted in derision.

"The only reason I can see him wanting a stay is so he can torture his victims and his family by being alive."

But whenever death comes calling for Anthony Shore, his family won't be there to watch.

His father, Rob Shore, plans to stay home. Gina and her mother, who now live together in Washington, may stop to remember him — but not fondly.

"I would have never been for the death penalty if it had not been for my brother," Gina said.

Laurel agrees. "He should be killed," she said. "He was a good brother, but he's not a good person."

Now living in Oklahoma, she drove down to the Houston area a few days before the execution. But she's not heading to Huntsville to watch.

"We'll probably go to the beach or something," she said.

Amber Shore — the killer's older daughter — hasn't been heard from in years, but her sister deemed it unlikely she'd attend.

"The final slap in the face for him would be to pretend that he's not important enough," Tiffany, his youngest daughter, said Monday. "His own children think he's insignificant."

For Tiffany, it'll be an almost normal day. Formerly a sheriff's deputy and now in the Air National Guard, the single mother is working her way through college for a second time. She's got a three-year-old to raise and forensic science classes to complete.

"Honestly, I have a biology lab and calculus that day. So I'm going to go to school," she said. "Maybe I'll see a movie later if I have free time."

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...e-12282923.php
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

I would love to dive into the psychology of people who buy this memorabilia.
    Jeffrey Matthews
    Executed in Oklahoma on January 11, 2011
    “I think that governor's phone is broke. He hadn't called yet.”:Cheers

Montgomery County DA Ligon uncovers Swearingen scheme to have fellow inmate confess to Trotter murder

Death row inmate Anthony Allen Shore has come forward and told Montgomery County District Attorney's Office that fellow death row inmate Larry Ray Swearingen attempted to persuade him to take responsibility for the murder of Melissa Trotter-the crime for which Swearingen is scheduled to be executed on November 16, 2017.

Shore is scheduled to die by lethal injection Thursday.

"Larry Ray Swearingen has tried this scheme before while waiting for his original trial," District Attorney Brett Ligon told the Courier exclusively. "As the appellate courts have stressed, there is a mountain of evidence supporting the conviction and execution of Mr. Swearingen. I am not surprised in the least that he would have attempted this scheme to avoid his overdue date with justice."

According to a release from Brett Ligon, Shore told chief investigator Chris Smith and assistant chief investigator John Stephenson that he conspired with Swearingen to take responsibility for Melissa Trotter's murder, but had a change of heart shortly before his execution date and decided to come forward with the truth and expose Swearingen's scheme.

"Shore identified a map found in Shore's death row cell as one of the items Swearingen gave Shore in an effort to enable him to make a convincing admission of Trotter's murder," the release stated.

Dubbed the Tourniquet Killer, Shore was convicted of capital murder in 2004 after he confessed to brutally slaying four young women in the Houston area.

In the interview conducted at the Polunsky unit on Oct. 17 Shore said he initially refused Swearingen's request that he take responsibility for Trotter's murder, but eventually became friends with Swearingen and agreed to try to exonerate Swearingen of the crime as a favor to Swearingen, according to the DA's office. He said that Swearingen gave him a hand-drawn map of the location where Swearingen had left physical evidence of the murder of Melissa Trotter.

According to Ligon, Shore's revelation came shortly after he asked Governor Greg Abbott to grant Shore a single 30 day reprieve, in order to allow him to complete an investigation of the materials found in Shore's cell on death row at the Polunsky Unit July 21.

That request remains pending at this time.

Harris County District Attorney's Office conducted an inventory of the contents of Shore's cell in July, in anticipation of a potential claim regarding Shore's mental health.

"They discovered a folder containing approximately ten items pertaining to the murder of Melissa Trotter, including copies of court exhibits and scene photographs; a hand-drawn page of a calendar for the month of December, 1998, with handwritten notations regarding weather conditions; and a hand-drawn map which appears to depict the location where Melissa Trotter's body was found," the DA release stated. "The handwriting on the map is dissimilar to Shore's distinctive handwriting, but bears similarities to Swearingen's hand-writing."

The Harris County District Attorney's Office informed the Montgomery County District Attorney of the discovery of the material in Shore's cell on September 1 after the District Court for the Ninth Judicial District issued an order setting an execution date for Swearingen.

Ligon launched the investigation that led to an interview with a woman who had visited Shore at the Polunsky Unit. She said that Shore told her that he expected to take responsibility for Melissa Trotter's murder shortly before Shore's execution. She also said that Shore was aware of the location of physical evidence pertaining to Trotter's murder, according to the DA's office.

Ligon said he would not provide any further details.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/neig...n-12287634.php

Harris County resets execution date for serial killer

The execution of Houston serial killer Anthony Shore was rescheduled hours away from his pending death after officials began to worry he would confess to another murder beforehand.

Shore, 55, was set for execution after 6 p.m. Wednesday, but the district attorney from Montgomery County sent a plea to Gov. Greg Abbott and Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg, asking for more time to look into rumors that Shore would confess to a murder in which another death row inmate was convicted.

"This office is in possession of evidence suggesting that Shore has conspired with death row inmate Larry Ray Swearingen and intends to falsely claim responsibility for the capital murder of Melissa Trotter — the crime for which Swearingen is currently scheduled to be executed on November 16, 2017," Montgomery County DA Brett Ligon said in his letter to Abbott.

Ogg filed a motion to withdraw Shore's execution date after receiving Ligon's request. It has been reset for January 18, 2018.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/10...serial-killer/

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    This is just disgusting. Almost makes me want to become an anti. Stays are given out for any stupid reason.

they say they stayed it to prevent swearingens execution from being stayed, so im sure its in good faith, but still ticks me off, how do we know this isnt just a ploy from one or both of them to get stays

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information