The TCCA issued the stay so it can be decided if there should be more DNA tests on evidence taken from the crime scene.

"Because the DNA statute has changed, and because some of those changes were because of this case, we find that it would be prudent for this court to take time to fully review the changes in the statute as they pertain to this case," the judge said on Monday.

I have no idea how long this is going to take. Skinner was denied the DNA testing in Gray County Court. He still has an appeal for DNA testing in the federal district court. The TCCA issued a stay of execution which leads me to believe he has or is going to file an appeal in the TCCA based on the Gray County court's denial of the DNA testing. The federal district court can sit on his appeal and wait for the TCCA opinion. If the TCCA denies testing and the federal district court grants testing the State of Texas can appeal to the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, and Skinner can do the same if the ruling doesn't go his way. If the 5th doesn't give the outcome that either side wants it will go back to the US Supreme Court. That is worse case scenario.

Now if the TCCA grants the DNA testing more than likely the DNA will be tested. That will be a whole other can of worms, aside from the reasons given by Dudley Sharp in post 61 and the ones Rob had given prior to Sharp's post. If the DNA is tested ...who is going to test it? Will the lab be under a time constraint? If only Skinner's DNA is found his attorneys will argue the DNA has been tainted. If someone else's DNA is found they are going to argue for a new trial.

So again I say there is no telling how long this is going to take.