Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Henry Watkins "Hank" Skinner - Texas

Senior Member Frequent Poster PATRICK5's Avatar
    The french doormat did not post skinner's reply brief on her fanboy site. The state's reply brief is worth a read. I sure hope there is a quick ruling.
    Obama ate my dad

Passed away.
    Thanks Patrick!

I have attached the State's brief

StatesBriefonMertis050312.pdf

Patrick, I must say that it is a lovely read. I cannot believe that they actually used "codeine allergy card"

The codeine issue is one of the lamest I have every heard. I don't know what to think about the privacy issue argument, however, it does provide additional proof that additional dna testing is only to game the system.
    Obama ate my dad

Judges ask 'why' ignore DNA tests

Hank Skinner has asked for test for a decade

By Brandi Grissom
    The Texas Tribune (She's the only who has published an article)

Sensitive to dozens of DNA exonerations in recent years, judges on the nine-member Texas Court of Criminal Appeals today grilled the Texas solicitor general about what harm could be done by granting death row inmate Hank Skinner's decade-old request for biological analysis of crime scene evidence.

"You really ought to be absolutely sure before you strap a person down and kill him," Judge Michael Keasler said.

Oral arguments in the hearing wrapped up today. It could take weeks or months for the court to render a decision on whether to allow DNA testing in the case.

Skinner, now 50, was convicted in 1995 of the strangulation and beating death of his girlfriend Twila Busby and the stabbing deaths of her two adult sons on New Year’s Eve 1993 in Pampa. Skinner maintains he is innocent and was unconscious on the couch at the time of the killings, intoxicated from a mixture of vodka and codeine.

For more than a decade, Skinner has asked the courts to allow testing on crime scene evidence that was not analyzed at his original trial, including a rape kit, biological material from Busby’s fingernails, sweat and hair from a man’s jacket, a bloody towel and knives. His lawyer, Rob Owen, co-director of the University of Texas at Austin’s Capital Punishment Clinic, told the court that if DNA testing on all the evidence points to an individual who is not Skinner, then it could create reasonable doubt about his client's guilt.

"It changes the picture," Owen said. "Having the DNA evidence makes the jurors look at other pieces of evidence differently, because I think jurors are inclined to accept DNA evidence as reliable."

Texas Solicitor General Jonathan Mitchell told the court that there is such "overwhelming evidence" of Skinner's "actual guilt" that DNA testing could not undermine the conviction. Mitchell argued that Skinner had his chance to test the evidence at his trial, but he chose not to. Skinner is now using the fight for DNA analysis as a frivolous attempt to delay his inevitable execution, Mitchell added. Allowing Skinner testing at this late point in the process, Mitchell said, would set a dangerously expensive precedent for guilty inmates. In future cases, he said, prosecutors would feel obligated to test every shred of evidence to prevent a guilty defendant from delaying his sentence by requesting additional DNA results.

"Prosecutors will have to test everything, no matter what the cost," Mitchell told the court.

"Prosecutors should be testing everything anyway," Keasler said.

The Court of Criminal Appeals has previously denied Skinner's requests, citing restrictions in the state's 2001 post-conviction DNA testing law that have since been repealed. Most recently, during the 2011 legislative session, lawmakers repealed part of the law that allowed DNA testing only in cases where analysis was not done during the original trial because the technology did not exist or for some other reason that was not the fault of the defendant.

The court of appeals stayed Skinner's Nov. 9 execution date so they could determine how the change to the law should apply to his case.

The tough questions for the state today came as something of a surprise from the court, which typically favors prosecutors.

Mitchell told the court that legislators did not intend to allow defendants like Skinner to reject testing at their original trial but then use it later to delay their executions.

In Skinner's case, his trial lawyers decided not to seek testing on all of the evidence because they feared it would further implicate him in the crime. And state Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, who authored the bill that repealed the fault provision, has explicitly said that he aimed to allow testing in cases like Skinner's.

Judge Keasler said Mitchell's argument that legislators didn't intend to allow testing in Skinner's case seemed illogical.

"It at least signals to anybody with any sense that when the Legislature does away with the fault provision, they're doing just that, and it seems particularly applicable here," Keasler said.

Judge Elsa Alcala countered Mitchell's argument that the evidence against Skinner was "overwhelming." Mitchell pointed to the fact that Skinner — who never disputed that he was in the house at the time of the murders — had blood from the victims on his clothing and his bloody handprints were at the house and to statements he made to police that intimated he might have done it.

The case, Alcala said, "is not overwhelming, it's circumstantial." She gave little credit to a statement that Skinner gave shortly after the murders in which he told police he had fought with Busby and might have killed her. The statement was not used in Skinner's trial and the prosecutor has said he knew it was inadmissible. If there were DNA linked to another person at the crime scene, Alcala said, a jury might give more credence to Skinner's contention that someone else committed the murders while Skinner was passed out on the couch.

"DNA has exonerated people where there has been confessions to police officers," Alcala said. "The fact there is a confession to a police is not the end all."

Alcala also swatted down Mitchell's argument that Skinner was frivolously delaying his execution with repeated requests for DNA testing.

"If you had tested this upon their first DNA motion 10 years ago, we would have had results 10 years ago," Alcala said. "Under your theory, they would have showed Skinner's guilt, and he would have been executed nine years ago."

Judge Cheryl Johnson challenged Mitchell's assertion that Skinner had deliberately chosen to forgo DNA testing at trial so that he could delay his execution by seeking the analysis later. Texas did not adopt its post-conviction DNA law until six years after Skinner's conviction.

Referring to recent "embarrassing incidents" in which DNA has led to the exonerations of people who spent decades in prison — there have been at least 47 DNA exonerations in Texas, including two Dallas men who were wrongfully convicted of rape and freed Tuesday — Judge Cathy Cochran questioned the state's continued resistance to Skinner's request.

"Why not just lay this all to rest by doing the DNA quickly after low these 12 years?" she asked. "Wouldn’t we be better off saying, 'Shew! Thank goodness there wasn’t an issue here at all,' rather than leaving the issue open to concern by everybody?"

Owen said that if the court allowed testing, it would take about six to 12 weeks to complete and that Skinner would pay for it. In an interview outside the court, Owen said he saw hopeful signs for his client during today’s hearing.

"The point the judges made was that the truth is stranger than fiction sometimes," Owen said. "You don’t ever know until you do the testing."

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-de...mie-dna-tests/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

An article by Brandi Grissom, read if you must I have posted the meat and potato's.

State Seeks For DNA Testing for Hank Skinner <<< No idea what that means.

Relenting its decade-long objection to testing that death row inmate Hank Skinner says could prove his innocence, the Texas Attorney General's office today filed an advisory with the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals seeking to test DNA in the case.

"Upon further consideration, the State believes that the interest of justice would best be served by DNA testing the evidence requested by Skinner and by testing additional items identified by the state," lawyers for the state wrote in the advisory.

The advisory comes a month after a hearing before the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals last month in which the judges on the nine-member panel grilled attorneys for the state about their continued resistance to the testing even after a spate of DNA exonerations in Texas. In Texas, at least 45 inmates have been exonerated based on DNA evidence.

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-de...-hank-skinner/

I actually thought the TCCA would cave. It seems to be the in thing to do. They have really been bending over backwards to placate thug lovers and morons. At least dna testing is faster these days. However, Skinner being Skinner, expect a battle over what will be tested and if results prove inconclusive, an argument that he should get a new trial anyway. That is what they are doing in Bartee and it is BS. Of course, his defense will be that a positive test for his dna is also irrelevant because he lived there and he was bleeding all over the place.
    Obama ate my dad

Banned
    Well,I hope Mr. Skinner is indeed exonerated and I am suprised the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals wished to seek DNA testing (my opinion,of course); regarding Mr. Bartee,I doubt, in all honesty, that DNA evidence found on cigarette butts near his home (which is still being tested,I believe) could actually save him. Also, please do not call death penalty opponents 'thug lovers and morons' (I presume you are referring to them in your post) because we are not either of these things. We are decent people trying to save innocent lives around the world.

he/she you need to research this case! http://www.hankskinner.com/

Quote Originally Posted by couldheshebeinnocent? View Post
    Well,I hope Mr. Skinner is indeed exonerated and I am suprised the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals wished to seek DNA testing (my opinion,of course); regarding Mr. Bartee,I doubt, in all honesty, that DNA evidence found on cigarette butts near his home (which is still being tested,I believe) could actually save him. Also, please do not call death penalty opponents 'thug lovers and morons' (I presume you are referring to them in your post) because we are not either of these things. We are decent people trying to save innocent lives around the world.
    Specifically, you are both. And no, you are not decent people. You are more concerned about saving people who murder and rape and who often go on to murder and assault people again.
    Obama ate my dad

I can't believe I am about to say this....At he/she's defense. He is young and doesn't have the knowledge that the majority of consistent posters on this forum have. Maybe I am being optimistic this evening, but I think if he were to actually read court opinions and understand them he may be able to decipher the truth from the smoke and mirrors presented on the anti-death penalty sites.

psst....he/she it's thughuggers not lovers.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information