Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pablo Lucio Vasquez - Texas Execution - April 6, 2016

Pablo Lucio Vasquez - Texas Execution - April 6, 2016

Pablo Lucio Vasquez

Facts of the Crime:

On April 18, 1998, during the nighttime, in Donna, Vasquez and a co-defendant, Andy Chapa, murdered a 12-year-old boy, David Cardenas. Vasquez struck the child in the head with a piece of pipe and a shovel. The boy's body was buried behind a residence. Vasquez took a ring and a necklace from the boy. Vasquez also drank Cardenas' blood.

Vasquez was sentenced to death in Hidalgo County on March 30, 1999.

Alexxx74
    On May 29, 2002, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals dismissed Vasquez's habeas petition.

http://www.cca.courts.state.tx.us/op...ventID=1899677

On April 30, 2014, Vasquez filed an appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit presumably over the denial of his habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/cir...s/ca5/14-70019

COA denied today by the 5th Circuit.

http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions...14-70019.0.pdf

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court declined to review Vasquez's petition for certiorari.

Docketed: April 15, 2015
    Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
    Case Nos.: (14-70019)
    Decision Date: January 23, 2015

http://www.supremecourt.gov/search.a...es/14-9336.htm

Donna Death Row Inmate Loses U.S. Supreme Court Appeal

The US Supreme Court has denied an appeal from a Texas death row inmate from Donna for beating and mutilating a 12-year-old boy in what authorities have characterized as an occult ritual slaying.

The high court Monday refused to review the case of Pablo Lucio Vasquez, who was condemned for the slaying of David Cardenas 17 years ago. Cardenas was reported missing after attending a party where he met Vasquez, who was 20 at the time, as well as the suspect’s 15-year-old cousin. Cardenas’ mutilated body was later found buried in a field in Donna. Officials haven’t yet set an execution date for Vasquez.

http://www.kurv.com/donna-death-row-...-court-appeal/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

david_3c
    Just noticed this on the TDJC Website Scheduled Executions updated 17 December 2015.

04/06/2016 Vasquez Pablo 999297 08/11/1977 H 03/30/1999 Hildago

https://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_r...xecutions.html

ARTICLE 11.071 APPLICATION FOR WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS DISMISSED WITH WRITTEN ORDER:

http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Searc...1-6a9d360c2d38

MOTION FOR STAY OF EXECUTION DENIED:

http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Searc...8-210944a92c04

Donna man who claimed satanic influence in boy’s murder fighting execution

Three weeks before his scheduled execution for the 1998 murder of a 12-year-old boy in Donna, Pablo Lucio Vasquez filed a motion to throw out his death sentence.

Vasquez, of Donna, was 20 years old in April 1998 when he told police he struck David Cardenas in the head with a pipe, slit his throat and drank his blood because the devil told him to do it, court records show.

“I picked him up and dragged him, and he was still saying something, and I picked him up in the air,” states a transcribed confession by Vasquez with Donna police.

“The blood was dripping and (I) got it all over my face, so I don’t know. I mean, something just told me drink, drink like you took a drink of mole and …,” Vasquez said, according to the transcript.

“You drink. You drink what?” asked Detective Ricardo Suarez.

“His blood,” Vasquez responded. “I don’t know. I mean, my face was covered in blood, and I put him down cause I felt weird.”

Vasquez was sentenced to death in March 1999 after a four month trial where a jury found him guilty of Cardenas’ murder. He appealed the conviction and sentencing in 2002, 2004 and 2014, but all of them have been dismissed.

The 206th District Court of Hidalgo County issued a death warrant in December for Vazquez’s execution, scheduled for April 6 in a Huntsville prison. A motion to withdraw the death warrant was first filed in Jan. 21 by Vasquez’s attorney but was also denied, according to court records.

His attorney, James Keegan, filed a stay of execution Wednesday arguing Vasquez was mentally ill and his execution would constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

“Vasquez is competent to be executed, and is not herein arguing to the contrary. He understands he is scheduled for execution, and he knows why,” Keegan argues in the petition. “However, he is mentally ill — seriously mentally ill.”

Keegan included a report from 1993 when Vasquez was diagnosed with a learning disability and a 1998 psychiatric evaluation that determined he was competent to stand trial, but also showed evidence that Vasquez was mentally ill.

A transcript of Vasquez’s taped confession was also included in the petition. The video obtained by The Monitor was recorded on April 23, 1998, one day after investigators found Cardenas’ mutilated body in a field near Stites Road and South Farm-to-Market Road 493.

Vasquez told police that on April 17, 1998, he had attended a party until midnight where he drank beer and liquor, smoked weed and sniffed cocaine. Vazquez told police he “was already loaded” when someone gave him, Cardenas, and Vasquez’s cousin, Andy Chapa, a ride from the party to Chapa’s house in the 1200 block of South 18th Street, court documents show.

“I don’t know, de repente (all of a sudden) I blacked out. I started hearing voices in my head, and I told my cousin that somebody was telling me to kill him, kill him, so snuck up on him, and I hit him and then he fell down,” Vasquez recalled in the video.

According to the autopsy report, Cardenas died of blunt force trauma to the head, but there were also signs of post mortem mutilation. The report states the 12-year-old’s right arm and part of his left arm were missing and skin had been cut off or torn off from his head face, neck and back.

His left foot had also been mutilated and the boy had been stabbed several times in the chest when officers found Cardenas’ body four days later.

During the interview with police, Vasquez described drinking Cardenas’ blood and how he and Chapa tried to decapitate him.

“We were trying to cut off his head, but they were trying to cut off his head, kept hitting him and hitting him,” Pablo said.

“Who was?” Suarez asked.

“Me and Andy cause like we were trying to …” Pablo answered before Suarez interrupted. “What was your reason for trying to cut off his head?”

“The devil was telling me to take it away from to keep it, keep it, couldn’t come off. I was just freaking out cause I was hearing that,” Pablo said.

Keegan argued the mutilation of Cardenas’ body is evidence Vasquez is mentally ill and asked the court to overturn Vasquez’s death sentence.

The petition will be handled by prosecutor Jeremy Greenwell with the Texas Attorney General’s Office. Greenwell was not available for comment Wednesday afternoon.

Assistant District Attorney Theodore Hake, who works for the appeals section in Hidalgo County, said the petition will most likely not hold up in court.

“From my reading, it doesn’t have much merit,” Hake said. “In fact, the courts don’t even recognize mental illness as a valid claim. They recognize mental retardation, not mental illness.”

Hake said despite Keegan’s mentions of Vasquez’s mental retardation throughout the petition, he did not present the evidence to prove it. As of Wednesday evening, the court had not addressed Keegan’s petition and his execution date was still scheduled for April 6.

http://www.themonitor.com/news/local...f63c2d4ad.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information