Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pablo Lucio Vasquez - Texas Execution - April 6, 2016

What a lousy appeal! They state he is competent to be executed, he knows he's being executed and he knows why. That's the legal requirement for execution they just sealed his death with that. Stays are given for retardation not mental illness

Junior Member Stranger
    Hi . i would like to find out if there are any relations between these 2 guys ? http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...ecution-Stayed

I dont see any relations between the crimes . i think this because of the same surnames and state .

Jan
    I don't see any relation either.

South Texas man set to die said he drank victim's blood

Pablo Lucio Vasquez remembered getting drunk and high on an April evening in 1998 before leaving a party with his 15-year-old cousin and his cousin's 12-year-old friend.

Vasquez later would tell detectives that as they reached a wooden shed, he started hearing voices telling him to kill the younger boy, David Cardenas. So he hit the seventh-grader in the head from behind with a pipe, cut his throat and lifted the still-conscious victim so blood would drip on the 20-year-old Vasquez's face.

"Something just told me to drink," Vasquez said in a videotaped statement to police in Donna, a small town in Texas' Rio Grande Valley.

"You drink what?" a detective asked. "His blood," Vasquez replied.

Vasquez, now 38, is set for lethal injection Wednesday for what police speculated at the time may have been an attempted satanic cult crime. Evidence of that nature, however, didn't surface at Vasquez's 1999 capital murder trial or in appeals, where courts as recent as last month rejected arguments Vasquez was mentally ill and should be exempt from the death penalty.

His execution would be the 11th this year nationally, and the sixth in Texas.

Vasquez's lawyer, James Keegan, has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to stop the punishment so the justices can consider arguments that several potential jurors were excluded improperly at Vasquez's trial because they either were opposed to the death penalty or not comfortable making such a judgment.

A death sentence shouldn't be carried out if it was reached by a jury that rejected members "simply because they voiced general objections to the death penalty or expressed conscientious or religious scruples against its infliction," Keegan told the high court, which did not immediately rule on the appeal.

Eighteen years ago this month, Cardenas, who lived with his sister about five miles from Donna, was spending the weekend with Vasquez's cousin, 15-year-old Andres Rafael Chapa. Both went to a party on April 18, and were seen rolling marijuana cigarettes; Vasquez also attended.

Police received an anonymous tip about the slaying that led them to Chapa and eventually to Vasquez, who was arrested in Conroe, a Houston suburb more than 325 miles north of Donna. Authorities found the body — missing some limbs — five days later under some scraps of aluminum in a vacant field. A blood trail showed it was dragged to the site, including crossing a four-lane main street in Donna.

"They decided they were going to try to take his head off with a shovel and didn't realize that it was a lot more difficult to cut someone's head off," Joseph Orendain, the lead trial prosecutor, recalled last week. "It was a mutilated body left behind. ... It was really horrendous."

Vasquez, who said he took a gold ring and necklace from Cardenas, told police that Chapa also participated in trying to decapitate the boy. "The devil was telling me to take (the head) away from him," Vasquez said, adding that "it couldn't come off."

Chapa pleaded guilty to a murder charge for his involvement and is serving a 35-year prison term. Three other relatives of Chapa and Vasquez received probation and a small fine for helping cover up the slaying. One of them was deported to Guatemala.

Vasquez declined an interview request from The Associated Press as his execution date neared. His statement to police fueled speculation about satanism, but Orendain said he had no idea if that connection could be made.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/05...tim-blood.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

What was going through Vasquez's head when he did this? "When Cardenas was found he was missing one of his arms and part of another, had no skin on his back, and had a hole in the back of his head." His claim that he had a rough childhood made him do this is one of the biggest slaps in the face to a victims family he could've done. This is one of the worst single child murderers I have read about.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Killer Faces Execution in Boy's Death

By Jolie McCullough
    The Texas Tribune

Twelve-year-old David Cardenas was still alive when his killer drank the blood from his wounds, according to a videotaped confession Pablo Lucio Vasquez later gave police. After Cardenas' April 1998 murder, his body was mutilated and buried in a shallow grave in Donna, Texas.

Vasquez, who admitted slitting Cardenas’ throat and beating him to death before stealing a ring and chain from the body, is scheduled for execution Wednesday after 6 p.m. He is 38.

“I started hearing voices in my head, and I told my cousin that somebody was telling me to kill him,” Vasquez said in his confession.

In an appeal pending before the U.S. Supreme Court, Vasquez claims he wasn't given a fair trial because the court “repeatedly excused prospective jurors with sympathies against the death penalty but still qualified to serve,” according to the petition originally filed with the state. The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has already rejected his claim.

In previous unsuccessful appeals, Vasquez's attorneys argued that the murder shouldn't have been considered a capital crime because Vasquez didn't kill Cardenas intending to rob him, according to court documents. They have also claimed that his trial counsel was ineffective for not using an insanity defense.

Sometime in the early morning of April 18, 1998, Cardenas, Vasquez, then 20, and Vasquez’s cousin, 15-year-old Andres Chapa, left a party together. Vasquez had been drinking, smoking marijuana and snorting cocaine, according to his confession.

When they got to the house where Chapa’s mother was staying, Vasquez said he “blacked out” and started hearing voices telling him to kill Cardenas. He struck the boy several times in the back of the head with a pipe.

Vasquez then slit Cardenas’ throat while Chapa began to prepare a grave, Vasquez said.

“He was still saying something, and I picked him up in the air,” Vasquez said in his confession. “The blood was dripping and got it all over my face. So, I don’t know, I mean something just told me drink.”

Vasquez put Cardenas back down, and Chapa hit the boy in the face with a shovel five or six times, according to Vasqeuz’s statement.

The two dug a small hole, placed Cardenas in it, and covered him with grass and pieces of wood.

When police found Cardenas’ body on April 22, he was scalped and missing a foot, arm and part of his other arm. Skin had been cut from his back, court documents stated.

Vasquez confessed to the murder after his arrest and was indicted on capital murder charges for the boy’s death and the theft of his jewelry. He was convicted and sentenced to death in March 1999 in Hidalgo County, just over 17 years ago.

Chapa was also convicted but received a 35-year-sentence because he was a minor. He first became eligible for parole last year but was denied in December. His next shot at parole is in 2020, according to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

http://www.texastribune.org/2016/04/...on-boys-death/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Pending at SCOTUS

No. 15-8764 *** CAPITAL CASE ***
    Title:
    Pablo Lucio Vasquez, Petitioner
    v.
    Texas

Docketed: March 31, 2016
    Linked with 15A1008
    Lower Ct: Court of Criminal Appeals of Texas

Case Nos.: (WR-50,801-03)
    Decision Date: February 24, 2016

~~~Date~~~ ~~~~~~~Proceedings and Orders~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mar 29 2016 Petition for a writ of certiorari and motion for leave to proceed in forma pauperis filed. (Response due May 2, 2016)
    Mar 29 2016 Application (15A1008) for a stay of execution of sentence of death, submitted to Justice Thomas.
    Apr 5 2016 Brief of respondent Texas in opposition filed.

No. 15A1008
    Title:
    Pablo Lucio Vasquez, Applicant
    v.
    Texas

Docketed:
    Linked with 15-8764
    Lower Ct: Court of Criminal Appeals of Texas

Case Nos.: (WR-50,801-03)

~~~Date~~~ ~~~~~~~Proceedings and Orders~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mar 29 2016 Application (15A1008) for a stay of execution of sentence of death, submitted to Justice Thomas.

SCOTUS has denied a stay of execution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CfYX0cAWsAAEfZx.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	1420
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Addict TrudieG's Avatar
    Somehow I don't think that was the last appeal SCOTUS will get today on his behalf. On the other hand I hope this vampire enjoyed his day trip to Huntsville.

Texas Executes Man for Killing 12-Year-Old Boy

HUNSTVILLE, Texas (AP) - A South Texas man has been executed for the 1998 slaying of a 12-year-old boy whose blood the convicted killer said he drank after beating the seventh-grader with a pipe and slitting his throat.

Pablo Lucio Vasquez told police he was drunk and high when voices convinced him to kill David Cardenas in Donna, a Texas border town about 225 miles south of San Antonio. He also told detectives in a videotaped statement that he drank some of the boy's blood.

The 38-year-old Vasquez's lethal injection Wednesday evening was the 11th nationally this year and sixth in Texas.

The punishment was carried out after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected a last-day appeal contending there were jury selection improprieties at his trial.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/l...ution-38201942

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information