Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Faryion Edward Wardrip - Texas Death Row

I have no idea on that one but they might do?

Quote Originally Posted by TheKindExecutioner View Post
    Does Texas now allow inmates to get a final meal from an outside place when their execution is upon them? I know quite a few death rows allow that.
    Texas does not.

FARYION EDWARD WARDRIP v. RICK THALER

The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals has vacated the district court's April 10, 2010 judgment and remanded the case for reconsideration in light of the Supreme Court’s decision in Cullen v. Pinholster.

Death penalty case reviewed

A federal magistrate judge for the Northern District of Texas, Paul D. Stickney, is trying to decide what will happen with the death penalty case of convicted serial killer Faryion Wardrip in the appeals process.

Wardrip was sentenced to death in 1999 after being convicted of the murder of 20-year-old Terry Sims. He received life sentences for three other murders — Toni Gibbs, Ellen Blau and Debra Taylor.

Wardrip murdered at least four women in the North Texas area in the mid-1980s. The cases were unsolved for years.

Wichita Falls District Attorney Maureen Shelton was in Dallas on Wednesday to hear the appellate hearing.

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals confirmed the death penalty decision.

"Once that happens, it switches over, and they can file a federal writ," Shelton said. "The federal writ was filed Dec. 31, 2002."

A district judge, Joe Fish, passes the case to Stickney, who makes a ruling on the case. Fish then decides whether to adopt the decision.

In July, 2008 Stickney ruled that he would allow a new punishment hearing because the defense attorney wasn't effective, Shelton said. Fish approved the ruling April 19, 2010.

"Once that happened, the state of Texas is represented by the attorney general's office in federal court.

The attorney general's office appealed that decision to the Fifth Circuit, which is controlling over our area in New Orleans. The Fifth Circuit agreed with the state of Texas and vacated the district judge's order," Shelton said.

On June 10, 2011 Stickney and Fish were instructed by the Fifth Circuit to rework the case.

Wednesday's hearing is the result of the previous decisions.

"Once the magistrate issues his next ruling, and if the district judge adopts that, then the losing party, odds are, will appeal it," Shelton said.

If the Fifth Circuit affirms the original decision for the death penalty, Wardrip's attorneys can appeal the case to the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court does not have to hear the case.

No matter the outcome of the appeal, Wardrip still has three consecutive life sentences to serve for the deaths of Gibbs, Blau and Taylor.

Shelton said the murders were the most horrific she has ever known about in Texas.

"It's the worst serial murder we've had in, certainly, our history, and I'd say even nationally this is a horrific serial murderer," Shelton said. "I don't know how you don't seek the death penalty for somebody like that."

When the case comes back to the state court, an execution date can be set.

Wardrip was sentenced to 35 years in prison for the death of Tina Kimbrew in 1986, and under old parole laws, was paroled after serving 11 years in prison.

According to a previous Times Record News story:

The time he spent in prison for Kimbrew's death is at the heart of the appellate issue going through the federal system.

Wardrip's request for relief on grounds of ineffective assistance of counsel during his trial included the assertion that his attorney — then-public defender John Curry, who has since died — should have presented evidence from his time in prison. Wardrip claimed the evidence should have shown he took classes, wrote for a prison newspaper and took part in a fundraiser for a young man with medical needs

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/...case-reviewed/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Investigators, Family Members Express Frustration as Serial Killer Sits on Death Row 15 Years Later

Faryion Wardrip killed at least five Texoma women and as the appeals of his death sentence drag through the state and federal courts, victims' families and authorities grow more and more frustrated.

Robert Kimbrew, the father of one of the victims, says, "She was my only child. That's everything."

Tina Kimbrew is described as a vibrant young girl, and her father's miracle child, so when he found out the 21-year-old was killed inside her apartment in 1986, he was devastated.

Authorities arrested Tina's neighbor Faryion Wardrip for her murder. He was convicted of murdering Tina and was sentenced to 35 years in prison, but was let out in December 1997 on mandatory release...but not before Tina's dad got to sit down with him.

"I wanted to know what happened that day," Robert Kimbrew says. "As his story went along, it wasn't nothing what I'd always heard...he was telling me about another girl."

What Tina's father couldn't know or even imagine was that Wardrip had killed at least four other women by the time he killed Tina. Wichita County District Attorney's Office Lead Investigator John Little had been put in charge of investigating the unsolved murders of two of those women linked to the same killer by DNA.

"It was the death of Terri Sims. That was here in Wichita County. And the death of Toni Gibbs which was over in Archer County," Little says.

He says when authorities arrested Wardrip for Tina's murder, he mentioned knowing Ellen Blau, whose body had been found in a field east of the city off Highway 240. After Wardrip was freed from prison, Little took that link to develop a case. He found out Wardrip was living and working in a door and screen factory in Olney, so he staked him out, and one day saw Wardrip on a break drinking out of a paper coffee cup.

"I saw him drinking it, eating cheese crackers, then I saw him throw it in the trash can," Little says. "I approached him, walked up to him, and acted like I was an oil field worker or something using the laundromat. I walked up to him and asked him if he had a cup or spit cup or something I could get from him."

It was the DNA from that cup that linked Wardrip to the other murders and Wardrip's confession to the murders of Sims, Gibbs and Blau, plus the 1985 murder of a Fort Worth mother named Debra Taylor.

"He's a serial killer. That's what he is," Little says. "Now we're 15 years removed from that when he received the death penalty and we are essentially back in state court again. It all simply revolves around whether his defense attorneys properly represented him in presenting evidence of his good behavior in prison."

Wardrip's been sitting on death row for 15 years now, and investigators and victims' family members alike say they're frustrated with the justice system.

"Mr. Kimbrew, he's known who killed his daughter since 1985 and he's still living with that and he's still living with that," Little says. "His daughter didn't even live as long as what he'd had to deal with the person who's done this, so I think that's a real tragedy."

Robert Kimbrew says, "If it was written in the rules somewhere that our system take his life and Tina Kimbrew gets to come back and stand in front of me for one minute with them big old brown eyes and say, 'Daddy, I love ya,' kill him tomorrow."

The seemingly endless appeal process continues in the Wardrip case. It's been through the state appeals, and then to federal appeals, and is back in the state appeals court. His attorneys are appealing his death sentence on the basis that he had ineffective counsel in the punishment phase. That appeal focuses on the failure of his attorney to present evidence of his good behavior during his prison term for the Kimbrew murder. The state is awaiting a ruling by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals after Wardrip's attorneys filed a writ for relief on October 30.

http://www.texomashomepage.com/story...tEeGl_q8CpOf4A

ARTICLE 11.071 APPLICATION FOR WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS DISMISSED WITH WRITTEN ORDER:

http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Searc...5-5e05281caae8

CONCURRING STATEMENT FILED JUDGE ALCALA (JUDGE JOHNSON JOINED):

http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Searc...e-f09ee16cae42

December 22, 2014

30 Years Later: Sister Awaits Final Justice

Thirty years ago this week, Texoma's most notorious serial killer Faryion Wardrip took his first known victim's life.

His record includes that murder and at least four others. His first was Terry Sims, just 20 years old when she was raped and stabbed to death in her Wichita Falls home.

Fifteen years later, DNA evidence linked Wardrip to the crime and the deaths of 3 other North Texas women that were not linked to him until his prison sentence ended for the murder of another young woman.

He's currently on death row, but Terry's sister says she doesn't want the focus to be on him but rather on the women whose hopes, dreams and futures ended in brutal fashion.

In 1984, Terry Sims was a happy, caring, ambitious young woman. A straight-A student in high school, she was attending Midwestern State University and working her way through college at Bethania Hospital.

Her sister, Vickie Holmes says, “On her days off she would go up to the children's ward and find out what kids didn't have many visitors and sit and play with them, spend time with them.”

On December 21st, 1984 her life was cut short.

Holmes says, “It was just by chance. He saw Lesa drop her off. He saw a small framed woman walk into a house by herself and took the opportunity.”

It would be 15 years before Terry's killer was arrested, and now 30 years later the nightmare continues. Faryion Wardrip sits on death row, appealing his sentence. His appeals have been going through the state and federal courts since his death sentence in 1999. Just this month, the appeal to the State Court of Criminal Appeals was rejected and it will now go back to a federal magistrate when the execution date is set.

Holmes suspects Wardrip may employ a tactic many serial killers have used to buy even more time

She says, “I think once an execution date is set he'll start to reveal who his other victims were and that will give him more time.”

Since he was ordered to die by lethal injection many of the people his crimes impacted have died, others grow older waiting for final justice to be handed out.

Holmes says, “I sit back and think, 'My goodness, what would she be able to accomplish in the last 30 years? How many lives would she have changed and touched?'”

http://www.texomashomepage.com/story...tk6wcdoE3xR93w

On April 25, 2018, Wardrip filed an appeal before the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ci...s/ca5/18-70016

I have a feeling he'll be executed in 2020. I really hope I'm right

Very unlikely. Wardrip is at the federal level in his appeals. When the Fifth Circuit has denied his latest appeal, then a potential execution date could be set.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information