Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coy Wayne Wesbrook - Texas Execution - March 9, 2016

Senior Member Frequent Poster joe_con's Avatar
    He killed five people, he needs to be executed. If he just killed his ex, then there would be a case for a crime of passion(Manslaughter).

Senior Member Frequent Poster stixfix69's Avatar
    not to sure about that, you catch the ex in a threesome with 2 other guys not sure many would be very selective if there intent at the time was to just kill her....

Appellant, the only surviving witness to the shooting, testified on his own behalf to explain the sequence of events that night....

Westbrook v Texas (2000) 29 S.W.3d 103, 110.

So, the sole source of all this garbage about his ex-wife and the other victims, is the guy who murdered four people, plotted to murder several more, and has done a whole bunch of other violent nasty things, is the murderer?? A bit self serving, don't you think? Why on earth would you believe him?

I never said i believe him, what i was saying if the facts are true to what he stated, then i could see him going off, as he was already a ticking time bomb and didn't need much to light his fuse....On top of that, it's not like i will lose sleep if they put this guy down...My point is i have seen a lot worse get stays....

Eyeroll

keep rolling them....apparently you haven't gone through all the stays like i have....

Most of the other 9 scheduled tx executions are people who killed complete strangers unprovoked in cold blood for money. And theres people like Battaglia, Robert Roberson and Pablo Vasquez who committed horrifying and absolutely despicable crimes. Wesbrook should be put down but he isn't nearly as bad as lot of death row inmates even if he does have a higher victim count

I think Herzog was more or less impartial in his documentaion "On Death Row". I know a lot of DP-supporters who accepted his work. It was an interesting view on the life on death row (inmates, staff, ..). I see no need for a rant against germans, quakers, europeans, .. in this (and other) posts.
    No murder can be so cruel that there are not still useful imbeciles who do gloss over the murderer and apologize.

Polunsky inmate waits for death

POLUNSKY UNIT, POLK COUNTY — Coy Wesbrook, Texas Death Row inmate No. 999281, stepped through white metal doors wearing over-worn white prison scrubs and black reading glasses that were slipping off his nose. Wesbrook was sentenced to death by lethal injection for a shooting in 1997 that claimed four lives. Now, he is counting down the days until his scheduled execution on March 9.

In an interview late last year, he told two journalists from Texan News that he killed in self-defense.

“I didn’t attack these people, these people attacked me,” said Wesbrook. “That’s what got the ball rolling in the first place. I didn’t go over there with the intent to kill anybody.”

Wesbrook is one of 263 people on Texas Death Row, the nation’s busiest. If he is executed as planned on March 9, he will be among about 12 percent of executed prisoners in the nation who expressed remorse for their actions or admitted guilt in final statements.

That figure comes from an analysis official statements from condemned prisoners in a database maintained by Tarleton State University journalism and broadcasting students. The database contains the final words on inmates. The final statements come from public records, news accounts and academic research involving 1,339 executions of the 1,427 carried out in the United States since 1976.

The database shows that about 6 percent of prisoners executed made unambiguous declarations of innocence or said the wrong person was tried for their crime.

Other statements consisted of offenders telling loved ones goodbye, praying, making hand gestures, talking about drugs, blaming the court system, words of advice, and rambles. In 30 percent of the cases, records show the inmate made no statement or records could not be found saying whether a statement was made.

Wesbrook, according to state prison records, was convicted of killing his ex-wife and three men in her home on Nov. 13, 1997. A fifth victim, another woman, was shot but survived. Wesbrook said he killed because he observed his ex and two of the men having sex.

“I don’t feel like I’m in the wrong,” said Wesbrook. “I don’t feel like I deserve to die. I haven’t done anything like this in my entire life.”

Wesbrook came into prison without a criminal history, but with a lot of mental issues. Records show that Wesbrook had a hard time learning when he was younger and didn’t develop proper social skills. Wesbrook was also sent to therapy when he was a child to help with his social and educational skills.

In his interview, Wesbrook says he always believed that there was a God, and when his time comes in March that he will be with God.

“I believe there is a God in heaven,” said Wesbrook. “I’ve read the Bible three times, front to back. I pretty much know what it’s all about and pretty much have given myself to the Lord.”

Wesbrook expressed remorse for his victims and their families.

“Over the years now, I’ve had time to think about all this stuff and rationalize it and I see where I went wrong, so I’m prepared,” said Wesbrook. “In fact, I was so prepared to die, when we rolled up here, I asked, ‘What do I got to do to find a way to get me executed like next week.’”

If Wesbrook is executed as planned on March 9, he will be the fourth prisoner executed in Texas for 2016. Westbrook said his attorney is not planning on making any last-minute appeals.

“I’m happy it’s over with — finally,” said Wesbrook. “For me it’s the light at the end of the tunnel – finally. I have no bad feelings for any of these people up here. I don’t want to kill the guards. I don’t want to kill the major. I don’t want to kill the judge. I don’t want to kill anybody. Killing is over with – it’s time to kill me. “

Wesbrook has had the last 17-and-a-half years to contemplate what his final words would be. At the end of the interview, Wesbrook recited what he was planning for his final statement.

“To the victims’ families, I’m sorry that all this stuff happened. I’m not proud of what I did, but [y’all] weren’t there that night, [y’all] don’t really know what everybody did,” said Wesbrook. “I was there, I knew what everybody did, and I was just literally scared out of my mind.”

http://www.texannews.net/polunsky-in...its-for-death/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Death Watch: Heat of the Moment

Coy Wesbrook's mental deficiencies make his pending execution a "travesty," claims his lawyer

Coy Wesbrook was 39 years old when he killed his ex-wife Gloria Coons and four of her friends at Coons' home just east of Houston. He'd gone there Nov. 13, 1997, thinking that he and Coons could discuss getting back together. Instead, he was greeted by Coons' friends: three men and a woman. Despite the apparent change of plans, Wesbrook came inside.

According to various testimonies, the situation at Coons' house was a volatile one. All six people had been drinking, and Wesbrook came to realize that Coons had been sexually involved with two of the men present. Angry, he decided to go home. Before he made it to his truck, one of the men grabbed his keys and ran back into the house. Wesbrook went to his truck, which was unlocked, and grabbed a rifle. He came back inside where, he said – and he is the only survivor of that night – he quickly became the target of the group's jokes. Someone threw a beer at him, he said, and "the rifle went off." He shot and killed all five, then waited outside for authorities to show up.

At trial, Harris County prosecutors were able to point to a number of instances in which Wesbrook had proven violent in the past, or expressed an interest in having his first wife Brenda Williams and her husband killed. After a week of sentencing hearings, Wesbrook was sent to death row.

Since his conviction, his attorney Don Vernay has focused on the spur-of-the-moment nature of the shootings, and how that fits in the context of Wesbrook's lifelong mental deficiencies. Wesbrook dropped out of junior high and had trouble keeping any job. Both of his marriages ended quickly. Even the fact that he waited outside for police, Vernay wrote in a clemency petition to Gov. Greg Abbott this February, points to a man who "now stands to lose his life for one impulsively tragic act." Vernay has also tried to argue in a series of filings that the state improperly planted an informant in Wes*brook's jail cell to obtain his confessions about his desire to kill Williams.

Both claims were rejected at the state and federal level until April 2011, when the State Board of Examiners of Psychologists issued a reprimand to Dr. George Denkowski, the psychologist who evaluated Wesbrook (and 13 other death row inmates) to determine their mental capacity. The board determined Denkowski to be completely inept at the job of evaluating the intellectual capabilities of death row inmates. Rather than face harsher penalties, Denkowski resigned. In light of this, the Court of Criminal Appeals sent Wesbrook's case back to trial court in Harris County, which in 2014 ruled Wesbrook mentally fit for execution. The case passed through the CCA again last January. On Monday, Vernay told the Chronicle that Wesbrook currently has no pending filings. "This execution is a travesty," he said.

Now 58, Wesbrook is expected on the execution gurney Wed., March 9. He'll be the fourth Texan executed this year, and the 535th since the state's reinstatement of the death penalty in 1976.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/...of-the-moment/
    Last edited by Mike; 03-03-2016 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Posting the story.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information