Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christopher Chubasco Wilkins - Texas Execution - January 11, 2017

Seems after sitting in a cell for 11 years he does care if he lives or dies. I'm not opposed to allowing those sentenced immediate execution after their automatic appeal if they act like that at trial.

He has 10 days left unless he gets stayed by the TCCA.

ARTICLE 11.071 APPLICATION FOR WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS DISMISSED WITH WRITTEN ORDER:

and......

MOTION FOR STAY OF EXECUTION DENIED:

http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Searc...5-87cbee05df71

and....... guess who?

DISSENTING OPINION JUDGE ALCALA

http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Searc...6-e09389c08e5c

Well it looks like this will happen and Texas is actually ok for the year.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Well it looks like this will happen and Texas is actually ok for the year.
    Yup

Clark added the state has enough lethal injection for at least the nine executions currently scheduled

http://foxsanantonio.com/news/local/...thal-injection
    Trudie, looks like there is going to be a full moon on the 11th!
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member CnCP Addict TrudieG's Avatar
    I can't wait to see if he starts howling Heidi lmao

Texas man set to die in double slaying over fake drug deal

HUNTSVILLE, Texas — A Fort Worth jury sent Christopher Wilkins to death row for killing two men after he explained how he shot his victims over a $20 phony drug deal and that he didn’t care if he was sentenced to death.

“Look, it is no big deal,” Wilkins calmly said from the witness stand at his 2008 trial.

On Wednesday, more than 11 years after the killings, the 48-year-old Wilkins is scheduled to die by lethal injection, pending the outcome of an appeal in the U.S. Supreme Court. If the execution goes ahead, it will be the nation’s first this year.

In 2005, after serving time in prison for gun possession, Wilkins drove a stolen truck to Fort Worth, where police tied him to several aggravated assaults and burglaries. There he befriended two men, 40-year-old Willie Freeman and 33-year-old Mike Silva, who duped him into paying $20 for a piece of gravel he thought was a rock of crack cocaine. According to court records, Wilkins said he shot Freeman on Oct. 28, 2005, for laughing about the scam, then he shot Silva because he was there.

Their bodies were found in a ditch. Wilkins’ fingerprints were found in Silva’s wrecked SUV and a pentagram matching one of Wilkins’ numerous tattoos had been carved into the hood.

“When I get wound up, I have a fuse that is short,” Wilkins testified. “I don’t think about what I am doing.”

He also admitted that a day earlier he had shot and killed another man, Gilbert Vallejo, 47, outside a Fort Worth bar in a dispute over a pay phone, and about a week later he used a stolen car to try to run down two people because he believed one of them had taken his sunglasses.

“I know they are bad decisions,” Wilkins said of his actions. “I make them anyway.”

Kevin Rousseau, a Tarrant County assistant district attorney, described Wilkins as “a professional criminal. Very violent. He used violence as a means of achieve his means on a routine basis.”

Wilkins’ attorneys have asked the U.S. Supreme Court to halt the execution, saying he had poor legal help at trial and during other appeals, and that the courts should have authorized money to his current lawyer to support other appeals and a clemency petition.

“He has never had a meaningful opportunity at any stage to develop that claim, to have any court address it on the merits, or even to have it considered as part of a petition for executive clemency,” attorney Seth Waxman, told the justices in his appeal.

Stephen Hoffman, an assistant Texas attorney general, said investigation of those arguments “would either be redundant or fruitless,” and called the appeals a delaying tactic.

Twenty convicted killers were executed in the U.S. last year, the lowest number since the early 1980s. Seven were carried out last year in Texas, the fewest since 1996, but Wilkins is among nine Texas inmates already scheduled to die in the early months of 2017.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.3eb8876c2111
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

SCOTUS has denied a stay of execution.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C160_VxWQAMdHL1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	1676

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisgeid...91222049230849

Article

Supreme Court Declines to Block Texas Execution

The Latest on the Texas execution scheduled for Wednesday evening (all times local):

3:15 p.m.

The U.S. Supreme Court has declined to block the scheduled execution of a Texas death row inmate who killed two men after one of them mocked him for falling for a fake drug deal.

The court's ruling on appeals for 48-year-old Christopher Wilkins came about three hours before his scheduled Wednesday evening lethal injection. It would be the first execution in the nation this year.

Wilkins' attorneys had argued to the Supreme Court that he had poor legal help at his trial and during earlier appeals and that the courts improperly refused to authorize money for a more thorough investigation of those claims to support other appeals and a clemency petition.

State attorneys argued courts had rejected similar appeals and that defense lawyers were simply employing delaying tactics.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/l...ution-44718478
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    Man who killed three in Fort Worth is first execution of 2017

BY MITCH MITCHELL
    The Fort Worth Star-Telegram

HUNTSVILLE - A man who went on a two-day killing spree in Fort Worth and who testified that he had “been trying to get myself killed since I was 12 or 13 years old” is the first person to be put to death in the U.S. in 2017.

Christopher Chubasco Wilkins, 48, was pronounced dead at 6:39 p.m., 13 minutes after being given a lethal injection of pentobarbital, the Associated Press reported

Wilkins was the first of four men from Tarrant County scheduled to be put to death in Texas in 2017, according to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

The U.S. Supreme Court rejected his Death Row appeal in the afternoon, and his attorney Hilary Sheard said she had no plans to file any last-minute appeals.

Before the drug was administered, Wilkins twice mouthed “I’m sorry” to two relatives of one of the murder victims as they watched through a window. He gave no final statement, a Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokesman said.

Wilkins has been on Death Row since March 12, 2008. He was convicted of capital murder by a Tarrant County jury for fatally shooting Willie Freeman and Mike Silva on Oct. 28, 2005. He also admitted in a taped confession that he killed Gilbert Vallejo, 47, a day earlier outside a south-side bar during a dispute about a payphone.

During his trial, Wilkins testified and admitted to his crimes, saying he didn’t care whether he received life in prison or the death penalty.

Jurors took 90 minutes to decide he should die. But Wilkins later changed his mind and appealed his execution, initially scheduled for October 2015.

His attorneys, Sheard and Seth Waxman, argued in their appeal to the Supreme Court that he received ineffective counsel from his previous lawyers during his trial and in the appeals process.

“The attorneys who represented Wilkins produced [an appeal] that had no chance whatsoever of benefiting the client and it was produced at a great cost to Tarrant County taxpayers,” Sheard said Wednesday.

‘I don’t care’

Wilkins arrived in Fort Worth in 2005 after stealing a pickup truck in Houston, where he was living in a halfway house. He had been released from a federal prison in California earlier that year.

Wilkins told jurors he killed Freeman because Freeman ripped him off in a drug deal and laughed at him. Freeman’s friend, Silva, was killed because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Prosecutors presented evidence that Wilkins decided to kill Freeman after Freeman tricked Wilkins into paying $20 for a piece of gravel that Freeman passed off as crack cocaine, court documents stated. Wilkins told Freeman he had a stash of drugs and guns across town and Silva agreed to drive them there.

Wilkins shot Freeman in the back of the head during the trip on Oct. 28, 2005, and shot Silva three times as he tried to escape, according to appeals court documents.

Vallejo was killed because he made Wilkins mad.

Wilkins also said he nearly killed two more people — about a week after killing Freeman and Silva — when he ran them down on a sidewalk in a stolen car.

During his trial, he made no excuses.

“You can consider drugs if you want to,” Wilkins told jurors in 2008. “But I wouldn’t put too much weight on that. When I get wound up, I have a fuse that is short. I don’t think about what I am doing. I don’t care.”

He was covered with tattoos, including images of demons, swastikas, even a portrait of Adolf Hitler, but told jurors they were mostly “just hype” and used as protection in prison.

“Look, butterflies and flowers don’t work,” he said.

When asked if he wanted to die, Wilkins thought for a second, then replied that he had nothing to live for.

“I haven’t been any good to anybody for the last 20 years and I won’t be for the next 20 or the 20 after that,” Wilkins said.

Wilkins’ testimony should be viewed as something that came from a person with brain damage, Sheard said. Psychological experts indicated that Wilkins had multiple head injuries and was exposed to LSD as a child, but that information was never provided to a jury, Sheard said.

“Now, because he will be dead soon, we will never know,” she said.

Wes Ball, one of Wilkins’ trial lawyers, described him as “candid to a degree you don’t see,” and had hoped his appearance on the witness stand would have made jurors like him, the AP reported.

“It didn’t work,” Ball told the AP.

“This guy is the classic outlaw in the model of Billy the Kid, an Old West-style outlaw,” Kevin Rousseau, the Tarrant County assistant district attorney who prosecuted Wilkins, told the AP.

Downward trend

Twenty convicted killers were executed in the U.S. last year, the lowest number since the early 1980s, according to the AP. That tally includes seven executions in Texas, the fewest in the state since 1996. Wilkins is among nine Texas inmates scheduled to die in the early months of 2017.

Kristin Houle, executive director of the Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, said Texas scheduled several executions at the beginning of last year but many were postponed or stayed.

The downward trend in executions has not abated, and every year jurors, prosecutors and appellate justices send fewer people to the lethal-injection chamber.

“The reason varies by case,” Houle said. “Questions about DNA, faulty science, prosecutorial misconduct — all these things are giving courts more pause than they used to.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/lo...#storylink=cpy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information