Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Clinton Lee Young - Texas

Grand jury indicts former death row inmate for capital murder in Harrison County

By Robin Y. Richardson
    The Marshall News Messenger

A special grand jury convened Friday and indicted former death row inmate Clinton Young in connection with a 21-year-old capital murder case that occurred in Harrison County.

“The grand jury here met; the Attorney General’s Office presented it. It was a special grand jury,” Harrison County District Attorney Reid McCain confirmed.

“He was indicted for capital murder,” said McCain.

“He (allegedly) killed somebody here (in western Harrison County) and somebody in Midland,” McCain said, recalling some of the facts of the case. “It was one long crime spree. He was never arrested or indicted here. He was arrested and indicted in Midland. He was tried in Midland for capital murder and got the death penalty.”

Now as a result of Friday’s capital murder indictment in Harrison County, Young has been arrested by the Vicksburg, Mississippi Police Department and awaits extradition.

According to a Sept. 22, 2021 article published in The Texas Tribune, Clinton Young was convicted in a 2001 Midland County murder in which he insists he was framed.

In September 2021, The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals tossed out his capital murder conviction and death sentence after it was discovered that a prosecutor in the case also worked for the judge, the article stated. The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals determined he was denied the right to a fair trial and an impartial judge.

Young, 38, had been on death row since 2003, The Texas Tribune reported.

“Judicial and prosecutorial misconduct — in the form of an undisclosed employment relationship between the trial judge and the prosecutor appearing before him — tainted [Young’s] entire proceeding from the outset,” The state’s highest criminal court ruled. “As a result, little confidence can be placed in the fairness of the proceedings or the outcome of Applicant’s trial.”

The appeals court ordered Young to be removed from death row, and on Sept. 22, 2021 granted Young’s petition for a new trial.

Young was accused at age 18 of participating in a 2001 drug-related crime spree with co-defendant 20-year-old David Page that led to the double murder of two men — one in Harrison County and the other in Midland — for use of their vehicles during a 48-hour window.

Young was convicted in the Midland murder of Samuel Petrey and sentenced to death after Page testified against him. Page took a plea deal and was given 30 years in prison on an aggravated kidnapping conviction.

https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.co...371327a7e.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Man released from death row after 20 years booked into Harrison County Jail

A man convicted of murder in Midland who has been on death row since 2003 is now in custody for capital murder in Harrison County.

Clinton Lee Young III has been charged with capital murder for the shooting death of Doyle Douglas while trying to rob him on Nov. 25, 2001, according to the Harrison County grand jury indictment.

According to The Texas Tribune, Young allegedly went on a “drug-related crime spree” with David Page. Page testified against Young and took a plea deal.

Young was convicted of capital murder for the death of Samuel Petrey in Midland and was on death row but his conviction was tossed out after it was found a prosecutor in the case also worked for the judge, according to The Texas Tribune.

Young was released on January 20, and received over 400 messages of congratulations on a Facebook page dedicated to his release.

Now two new trials will begin, one in Midland and another in Harrison County.

The District Attorney of Harrison County, Reid McCain, said currently the Texas AG is special prosecution for Young’s trial, and a motion will be filed for Harrison County to be recused from the case.

According to McCain, the Midland case will also be prosecuted by the state.

(source: KLTV news)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    We know if the death penalty is being sought by either one of the two counties or both? I searched both websites, but in Harrison's I couldn't find any further update on the matter, and in Midland's I couldn't find no online judicial record window.
    Last edited by Mastro Titta; 08-17-2022 at 12:16 PM.

There was an order filed yesterday in Harrison but unfortunately I couldn’t see what it was about.

https://portal-txharrison.tylertech....?CaseID=549605
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Junior Member Stranger
    Curious about what happens next. I thought the state would go for a plea deal instead of a capital murder indictment. The conjuncture is not the same though. There likely won't be the same testimonies from the coparticipants, which already got off easy and have no murder charge pending over their heads anymore. And there is one James Kemp's testimony that can turn things against the state's case. Let's see.

I’m glad they’re trying him for the second capital murder. I’m tired of people claiming not being the one to pull the trigger makes someone 100% innocent. It doesn’t work like that. Even if he didn’t pull the trigger he was still willingly complicit in the murders

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Member Member
    What made Harrison County decide to do this now, all of a sudden?

This is an all-around interesting case.
    Last edited by Opinions; 09-10-2022 at 05:51 AM.

When a death row inmate in Texas has their sentence vacated they are either taken back to to the county jail or released on bond pending retrial. They don’t need to be indicted again. So he’s awaiting trial for both murders in both counties. I assume the reason Harrison has decided to charge him now is because there is a possibility he could be sentenced to time served in his retrial in Midland

Member Member
    Yeah, i just realized that, sorry, I read bad info and was initially under the impression that he had yet to be re-indicted.

Clinton Young files lawsuit against Midland County, former district attorneys

By Mercedes Cordero
    Midland Reporter-Telegram

Attorneys for former death row inmate Clinton Lee Young have filed a civil lawsuit against Midland County, former prosecutor Ralph Petty and former District Attorneys Albert Schorre and Teresa Clingman.

The lawsuit filed in the United States District Court Western District of Texas Midland Division states that the defendants deprived Young's "rights under the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution."

According to the lawsuit, "Midland County’s policymakers knew about and expressly endorsed Petty’s dual role as a prosecutor and a law clerk to the same judges he practiced before for nearly two decades, creating an official policy or custom."

"Petty’s dual role in Mr. Young’s case — straddling both sides of the judicial bench — is exactly the form of corruption that our Constitution was designed to protect against. Yet, Midland County officials, district attorneys and judges worked together to create a system that ensured prosecutorial victories and shielded Petty from liability,” said Young’s attorney, Alexa Gervasi.

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals on Sept. 22 tossed a capital murder conviction and granted a news trial for Young, who was convicted by a Midland County jury in 2003, according to a previous Reporter-Telegram article.

Young was sentenced to death for killing Doyle Douglas, 41, and Samuel Petrey, 52, for the use of their vehicles during a 48-hour crime spree. Petrey was kidnapped in his hometown of Eastland and killed in an oilfield near Midland.

The appeals court overturned Young’s conviction because of a revelation that then-assistant district attorney Ralph Petty, who helped prosecute Young, was also moonlighting as a judicial clerk for the same trial.

In January 2022 Young was released on bond after being transported in early November back to Midland County to await his new trial.

Young is seeking declaratory relief, compensatory and punitive damages. "This lawsuit is now filed to vindicate Mr. Young’s rights and the most essential principles of our Constitution," the lawsuit states.

"Although Mr. Young has been released from death row, neither Petty nor the county officials who enabled him have faced accountability for their gross misconduct," the Clinton Young Foundation said in a press release.

https://www.mrt.com/news/local/artic...y-18378953.php

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information