Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Clinton Lee Young - Texas

Junior Member Stranger
    Any idea if Young will a new execution date in 2019, possibly? Thoughts?

Member Newbie
    I have been checking the Clinton Young Foundation Fb page, and there doesnt seem to be much of an update on his case

Junior Member Stranger
    IÂ’m thinking it will depend on when his latest hearing is ruled on (and denied). But just spitballing here.

So according to YoungÂ’s blog he was offered life without parole and immediately turned it down. Does this move him close to another execution date?

No it doesn't. DA offering that only means they don't have confidence in carrying out sentence.
    Last edited by Mike; 09-22-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

The trial judge overseeing Clinton Young's conviction and death sentence employed a Midland County prosecutor to be a judicial clerk while the prosecutor was representing the State at Young's trial.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...-Sub-Writ.html
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

That's absolutely crazy, how anyone ( let alone the judge) possibly think this was ethically appropriate? One of the most insane appeals I have ever read. This is almost certainly gonna end in a new trial.

Article 11.071 application for writ of habeas corpus remanded to trial court with written order:

Wr-65,137-05

young, clinton lee midland county

remand tr ct w/order art. 11.071, sec. 6 - per curiam [ pdf/233 kb ]

non-published

http://search.txcourts.gov/handdown....ate=12/16/2020
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    In an oral ruling from the bench, a trial judge of a Midland County, Texas District Court has recommended that Clinton Young receive a new trial based upon previously undisclosed evidence that Ralph Petty, the assistant district attorney who prosecuted him, was simultaneously employed by the trial judge as a law clerk in his case.

When the court issues its opinion in support of the ruling, the recommendation will be sent to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, which had directed the trial court to conduct an evidentiary hearing on the issue. The appeals court will make a final determination as to whether Mr. Young is granted a new trial.

USA Today reported in February 2021 that Petty had obtained more than 200 convictions in cases in which he worked as a prosecutor and judicial law clerk, including 21 cases in which defendants were sentenced to 50 or more years in prison.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/stories...-april-19-2021

Midland lawyer surrenders license after capital murder trial botch

Former Midland County Assistant District Attorney Ralph Petty has surrendered his law license after an order from the Texas Supreme Court because of professional misconduct during the Clinton Young capital murder trial.

According to an order from the Texas Supreme Court on April 13, Petty’s bar card was canceled, and he is now prohibited from practicing law in the state of Texas. Petty surrendered his license in lieu of further disciplinary action, the order states.

Petty is at the center of an appeal case for Young, who was convicted for the murders of Doyle Douglas, 41, and Samuel Petrey, 52, in 2003 for the use of their vehicles during a 48-hour crime spree. Young has been on death row since his conviction, but his lawyers have argued that his right to due process was violated.

While working on Young’s prosecution, Petty also moonlighted as a judicial clerk for the same trial. This created conflicting roles and gave Petty access to confidential information for the defense, according to an opinion from the Midland County 385th District Court recommending a new trial.

Judge Sid Harle, who was sitting by assignment in the Midland County 385th District Court, recommended in April that Young’s conviction be overturned because of Petty’s dual role, which he said demonstrated that Young’s right to a fair proceeding had been violated.

Young was convicted of killing Douglas and Petrey to steal their vehicles as part of a methamphetamine-fueled crime spree with three other men, according to news reports. Petrey was kidnapped in his hometown of Eastland and killed in an oilfield near Midland.

Midland County District Attorney Laura Nodolf, who took office in January 2017, said in a previous statement to the Reporter-Telegram that she was not aware of Petty’s conflicting roles until after he retired in 2019. She said she immediately disclosed the information to Young’s lawyers after she learned of it.

As part of Petty’s disbarment, he must immediately notify his current clients and opposing counsel for ongoing cases, according to the Texas Supreme Court order. He must also notify each justice of the peace, judge, magistrate and judge in courts where he has pending matters.

The writ filed by Young’s attorneys in September 2020 is the fifth writ Young has submitted seeking relief from a judgement of death. The recommendation by the 385th District Court will be considered by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mrt...l-16302120.php
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information