Thread: Tecumseh Colbert - California Death Row

Tecumseh Colbert - California Death Row

Summary of Offense:

Sentenced to death in San Diego County on December 15, 2008 for the murders of banker Robert McCamey in southeast San Diego on October 29, 2004 and Richard Hammes on November 10, 2004 at Prime Market Liquor in the beach area.

December 15, 2008

Man Given Death Penalty For 2004 Killings

SAN DIEGO -- A young man was sentenced to death Monday for fatally shooting an investment banker and a homeless man working as a store clerk in Ocean Beach 22-day crime spree in 2004.

Tecumseh Colbert, 25, was convicted of first-degree murder for gunning down banker Robert McCamey in southeast San Diego on Oct. 29, 2004, and killing Richard Hammes on Nov. 10 at Prime Market Liquor in the beach area.

Mitchell Lebron McCamey, the victim's only brother from Alabama, said he couldn't forgive Colbert for what he took from him.

"I didn't have but one brother, and you know when he's gone, there's nobody else," the brother said in court. "No family should have to go through what we went through."

The brother said the victim was trying to better his life for his two young sons.

"Their father was all they had," Lebron McCamey said.

McCamey's mother, Diane McCamey Jones, told the court that she now must look after her son's two children and four other grandchildren.

"I don't feel sorry for Mr. Colbert," McCamey Jones said. "I feel sorry for his family."

The woman said she was sorry for the things Colbert had taken from her. She said a mother always want to be there for her children.

"If I could have protected my child ... I would have," the mother said.

Prosecutor David Grapilon read a letter from Hammes' brother, Donald Cummings.

"He (Hammes) was not a homeless man ... he was a houseless man," the letter read. "No one had the right to end his life because of this."

Cummings said Colbert had the opportunity to walk away from the attempted robbery in Ocean Beach and let his brother live, but decided not to.

Colbert, turning toward the victim's families in the audience, said he thinks of Robert McCamey's children every night and if they will make it in life.

"I don't even pray to God," the defendant said. "I pray to Richard and Robert (Hammes)."

Colbert apologized to the families and asked them to let him help them in the future.

The defendant also apologized to his own family.

"I know you guys love me," Colbert said, "and I know this wasn't the way it was supposed to go."

At his trial, Colbert said the state locked him up as a teenager and failed to rehabilitate him.

The defendant said he has written a book entitled "State Raised," outlining everything that has transpired in his life. Colbert has also started a foundation to help children in the community.

Before pronouncing sentence, Superior Court Judge Michael Wellington denied an automatic motion to reduce Colbert's sentence to a no-parole life term.

Deputy District Attorney Robert Amador said Colbert and partner Theron Peters -- who pleaded guilty to murder and was sentenced to life in prison -- went on a 22-day crime spree, starting on Oct. 21, 2004. That's when they went to a moving company and demanded money for jewelry that was supposedly lost during a move, authorities said.

When an employee, Albert Erojo, refused to give the pair money, Colbert held a gun to his head and threatened to kill him, the prosecutor said.

After Hammes was killed, Erojo saw video of the crime and told police he thought the man in the video was the same man who held a gun to his head, Amador told the jury.

The prosecutor said Colbert's girlfriend, Tatiana Daniel, Peters and Colbert were in on a plot to kill McCamey.

Daniel's purse was left behind at Prime Market Liquor when Colbert shot Hammes, the prosecutor said.

The next day, on Nov. 11, 2004, Colbert held two guns to the head of a man trying to sell his Cadillac Escalade at Grossmont Center, Amador said.

http://www.10news.com/news/18283642/...=sand&psp=news

Counsel was appointed to represent Colbert on direct appeal on December 19, 2011.

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.g...doc_no=S169152

On September 29, 2016, Colbert filed his opening brief on direct appeal before the California Supreme Court.

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.g...9TUCAgCg%3D%3D

On the 23rd of August 2018, the prosecution filed its response.

https://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca....9TUCAgCg%3D%3D

Colbert's direct appeal has been fully briefed before the California Supreme Court since August 26, 2019.

https://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca....NTQCAgCg%3D%3D

Thread Information