Thread: Robert Louis Cromwell - Arizona Death Row

Robert Louis Cromwell - Arizona Death Row

Facts of the Crime:

On October 8, 2001, Phoenix Police Department received a 911 call from a hysterical female stating she was trying to locate her daughter who was taken by a man who had beaten her. The female (later identified as Ella "Michelle" Speaks) told the dispatcher she was beaten with a stick by a man at her home located at 3208 E. Flower Street and that she believed this man ran off with her daughter. Shortly there after the Phoenix Police Department dispatch received a second 911 call from a Hispanic male who said he heard someone yelling for help and that they thought there was a dead baby at 3208 E. Flower Street, Apartment #205.

During the investigation it was determined that through a one time meeting, spending the evening together drinking and doing drugs Ella "Michelle" Speaks left Robert Cromwell at her residence with her three daughters while she left for a few minutes to pickup another friend, Kim Jensen.

When Michelle and Kim returned home they were greeted at the door by Robert Cromwell who struck Kim Jensen with a pool stick as she stepped into the apartment doorway. Michelle Speaks attempted to stop Cromwell, but when Kim was stuck in the head and fell to the floor he turned on Speaks and began hitting her until the pool stick broke. Cromwell then ran from the residence.

Michelle Speaks, who was shaken up over the incident, took off in her vehicle after Cromwell as she believed he had taken her daughter, Stephanie Short. While driving to Cromwell's residence Speaks called 911 to report the incident.

The police made contact with Speaks and returned with her to her residence. Upon searching the residence her home they found the body of her 11-year-old daughter, Stephanie Short, in the master bedroom, unclothed and severely injured. Stephanie Short had 13 stab wounds to her back, a fractured skull and broken jaw and had appeared to have been sexually assaulted. Stephanie was transported to the Good Samaritan Hospital where she was pronounced dead. Cause of death was determined to be multiple blunt force and stabbing injuries.

Robert Cromwell was interviewed and subsequently arrested and found guilty of murdering Stephanie Short.

No. 05-9763 *** CAPITAL CASE ***
    Title:
    Robert Louis Cromwell, Petitioner
    v.
    Arizona
    Docketed: March 16, 2006
    Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Arizona
    Case Nos.: (CR-03-0083-AP)
    Decision Date: August 17, 2005
    Rehearing Denied: September 8, 2005

~~~Date~~~ ~~~~~~~Proceedings and Orders~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dec 6 2005 Petition for a writ of certiorari and motion for leave to proceed in forma pauperis filed. (Response due April 17, 2006)
    Apr 17 2006 Brief of respondent Arizona in opposition filed.
    May 3 2006 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of May 18, 2006.
    May 22 2006 Petition DENIED.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/Search.a...es/05-9763.htm

On May 9, 2023, Cromwell filed a habeas petition in federal district court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ar...v00783/1333870
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information