Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: California Capital Punishment News

Senior Member Frequent Poster Fact's Avatar
    This one had some urgency and wasn't dependent on the resolution of other cases. Also, I'm pretty sure that the judges pretty much knew how they would rule right from the first day, because it was so utterly lacking in legal basis.

November 12, 2015

Death Row Inmates Invited To Comment On Lethal Injection

Prisoners on death row in California are being invited to comment on the procedure that could kill them.

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation has proposed a single lethal injection to replace the three-drug method struck down by courts. The state created the rule after a legal settlement to restart the death penalty process, which has stalled since 2005.

The public has until January to comment on the proposal.

"The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation has an additional and a unique requirement that no other state agency has," says deputy press secretary Terry Thornton. "Under the law we also must notice the inmate population, and that includes condemned inmates."

Thornton says the rule is designed to give inmates a voice in the policies that govern them and all 747 on death row have received copies.

The state must consider and respond to public comments before finalizing the rule.

http://www.capradio.org/articles/201...hal-injection/

Fullerton, California (5 miles from Disneyland)
    California death row inmates have murdered over 1,000 victims, including 226 children and 43 Police Officers; 294 victims were raped and/or tortured. I am all about reform being a California resident. With that said, this new decision to allow inmates to comment is amazingly ridiculous. While we're at it, and when executions FINALLY resume, we should make sure the execution table has a suitable thread count for the sheets and a Swedish goose-down pillow should be provided to alleviate some of the 8th Amendment nonsense that most use to block their own executions.

There are 151 people on California's death row for killing children and 39 on death row for killing police officers.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

I hope this is the case (less is better) but, My information came from California's Death Penalty Reform and Savings, which the last current count or statistics were published on October 20, 2015. I would be more inclined to believe these numbers only because this is one of their bread and butter distinctions in getting this reform and savings act on the ballot for 2016.

Then again, what reputable websites can you really say are the most up-to-date and accurate.

Thanks for the correction/info
    Are some crimes so vile and so heinous that execution is the only appropriate penalty to be imposed on the perpetrator? That should be the central issue in the debate about the death penalty. [FONT=Arial]Unfortunately, the opponents of capital punishment do not address this question, but instead cast doubts on its application. But attacks on the process are not arguments that address the merits of whether the death penalty is a legitimate form of punishment.

Firing Squad anyone? ︻デ┳═ー

I made a list of Cop Killers and I am making one for Child Killers on Death Row. I could've missed some people since I have to go through 3000+ People. The info you have is really accurate.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

I appreciate that but by no means are my answers concrete. If you need some help ping me I'd be more than happy to help you out in anyway, especially on the Cali side.
    Are some crimes so vile and so heinous that execution is the only appropriate penalty to be imposed on the perpetrator? That should be the central issue in the debate about the death penalty. [FONT=Arial]Unfortunately, the opponents of capital punishment do not address this question, but instead cast doubts on its application. But attacks on the process are not arguments that address the merits of whether the death penalty is a legitimate form of punishment.

Firing Squad anyone? ︻デ┳═ー

California death penalty agency gets new chief

By Howard Mintz
    The San Jose Mercury News

Longtime California state Public Defender Michael Hersek has been named chief of the state agency that leads defense of California's death row inmates in the appellate courts.

In a move announced on Friday, Hersek replaces Michael Laurence, who stepped down as director of the state Habeas Corpus Resource Center this fall after heading the agency since its creation in 1998. Hersek already has been heavily involved in death penalty law for many years as head of the state defender's office since 2004, but now takes over a staff of about 30 attorneys that works only on the late, crucial stages of trying to contest death sentences in the California Supreme Court and federal courts.

For Laurence and others involved in the work, the resource center is considered far short of what California needs to handle the appeals of the 750 inmates on death row, as the agency and public defender's office do not have enough lawyers to meet the appellate caseload. The agency was created to help accelerate the state's notoriously slow death penalty appeals process, but the improvement has yet to materialize -- death penalty cases still go unresolved in California for decades.

Hersek was first named state public defender in 2004 by former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, and reappointed twice by current Gov. Jerry Brown. Brown will have to name his replacement.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-cou...gets-new-chief

Riverside County leads the nation in death sentences

Riverside County led the country in death sentences in 2015, sending more people to death row than 48 states – but leading to no actual executions – according to a new study of capital punishment.

Eight convicted murderers were sentenced to death in county courts this year, including three men from the Coachella Valley. That’s 16 percent of all U.S. death sentences, and more than twice as many sentences as any other county in the United States, said the Death Penalty Information Center, a watchdog group based in Washington D.C.

The next highest death sentence total came from Los Angeles County, which has more than four times as many people as Riverside. Neither county has followed through on any of its death sentences, however, since California hasn’t carried out any executions since 2006.

Riverside has simply poured more inmates into a bloated death row. California's death row now holds nearly 750 inmates, and 94 of those inmates were sent there by Riverside County.

“The system is broken,” said Steve Harmon, Riverside County public defender, an opponent of the death penalty. “The debate over the death penalty has moved beyond whether one believes in it or not. At this point, you can believe in the death penalty and still be opposed to it because it’s not working.”

“Even if you were to start executing people at the rate of once a month – which is light speed – look at how long it would take for all of these inmates to be executed,” Harmon said, doing the math in his head. “It would take more than 60 years, and that’s even not including any new ones.”

The Death Penalty Information Center describes Riverside County as an “outlier” in a nation that is moving away from the death penalty. Nationwide, death sentences dropped by a third in 2015, and executions dropped by a fifth. Increasingly, sentences and executions are clustered in a few states and counties that “overuse” capital punishment, said Robert Dunham, center president.

Dunham said these outlier counties consistently have other problems too – like frequent allegations of prosecutorial misconduct and high rates of police killings. Riverside County has had both.

“What generally happens in counties like these is that the person in charge tolerates practices that should not be tolerated, and that works its way throughout the entire system” Dunham said. “The single most important factor in changing these practices is the changing the district attorney.”

In Riverside, that change has already happened.

District Attorney Mike Hestrin, who took office in January, has taken a more cautious approach in capital punishment cases, and ultimately sought the death penalty less often than his predecessors.

Hestrin inherited 22 death penalty cases from his predecessors, but abandoned pursuit of a death sentence in six of those cases. He has considered 11 new cases this year, but pursued the death penalty in only four.

Hestrin has also changed how the decision is made. Defense attorneys are now invited to the meetings where prosecutors decide whether or not to pursue a death sentence.

“The death penalty is a hard thing, and it should be rare,” Hestrin said. “It should be used only when necessary … and obviously I have a little different standard than my predecessor.”

Harmon, the public defender, agreed that Hestrin had taken a more “measured” approach to death penalty decisions than his predecessors, former DAs Grover Trask, Rod Pacheco and Paul Zellerbach.

However, Harmon said he still worried that Riverside County’s long-established penchant for the death sentence – plus the widespread knowledge that California has halted executions – might make jurors more willing to hand down death sentences.

“What I fear is that jurors, when trying to decide a capital case, a matter of life and death, might find it easier to vote for death knowing that the person would never be executed because of what’s going on in California,” Harmon said. “They think, ‘What’s the harm?’ And that’s not right.”

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/...nces/77440184/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Sentencing murderers to death row is still a good thing since some people do truly belong on death row and would be kept away from the other prisoners in the prison where they are being held at. Let's say the anti-DP folks are a little short on logic in this case.

Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread Information