Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445

Thread: California Capital Punishment News

The mom was 50 last year, so it has to be someone fairly young.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Darnell Washington and Darnell Williams are 33 and 31, the rest are in their 60s and 70s except David Williams who is 59, and Wozniak is 37
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

It was Darnell Williams.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Ex-guard, three others plead guilty to San Quentin death row smuggling operation

AP

A former prison guard and two others pleaded guilty Friday to multiple charges related to a smuggling operation at San Quentin State Prison's death row.

The Department of Justice charged two 38-year-old Pittsburg residents, former prison guard Keith Christopher and Dustin Albini, as well as 33-year-old Tracy resident Isaiah Wells with bribery of a public official and conspiring to smuggle numerous cell phones into San Quentin State Prison in Marin County.

Another defendant, 46-year-old Las Vegas resident Tanisa Smith-Symes, had already pleaded guilty before Friday's hearing.

Justice officials noted that "each defendant entered a plea agreement admitting their own participation in the criminal conspiracy."

Authorities originally charged all four defendants on Sept, 29 2021 for an operation they'd been running for about two years. Investigators say Christopher, a guard in San Quentin's death row, worked with the other three to smuggle cell phones to inmates. According to the DOJ, "cell phones are deemed contraband for prisoners in all parts of the prison as they create safety and security risks for prison employees and other inmates. The California Code of Regulations accordingly prohibits prisoners from possessing cell phones."

Christopher admitted to the crimes in his plea agreement, saying on two different occasions he helped arrange for several cell phones to be smuggled into Death Row, to be given to an inmate there, who the DOJ did not identify. That inmate would then sell the phones to other inmates there.

The former prison guard received almost $12,000 for smuggling in 25 cell phones over two occasions. Smith-Symes handled the money and mailed the cell phones to Albini's and Wells' addresses. Smith-Symes also admitted to starting the operation after she began a relationship with the unknown inmate, who also paid for the phones.

"Each defendant pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit honest services fraud in violation of 18 USC §§ 1343, 1346, and 1349, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine. Each defendant also pleaded guilty to two counts of bribery of a public official in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 666(a)(2), which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine," the DOJ wrote in a press release.

U.S. District Judge Illston, who heard the defendants' pleas, scheduled sentencing hearings for Christopher and Wells for Jan. 13, 2023, and set status hearings for Albini and Smith-Symes for Sept. 15, 2023.

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco...ing-operation/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

California Governor Signs into Law Bill Expanding Racial Justice Act to Prisoners Already on Death Row

DPIC

California Governor Gavin Newsom has signed into law a bill that provides death-row prisoners relief from convictions or death sentences obtained “on the basis of race, ethnicity, or national origin.”

The California Racial Justice Act for All applies the provisions of the state’s 2020 Racial Justice Act to people previously convicted of felonies. The original law applied only to criminal cases in which the trial court judgment was issued on or after January 1, 2021.

The expanded Racial Justice Act (AB 256) and a second bill that would remove from death row those individuals deemed permanently mentally incompetent (AB 2657) were among 118 bills Newsom signed without fanfare on September 29, 2022 at the close of the California legislation session.

The 2022 racial justice bill creates a staggered timeline for prisoners to apply for relief. Death-sentenced prisoners and people facing deportation will be eligible first, beginning on January 1, 2023. Separated by one-year intervals, eligibility will expand to people incarcerated for felonies, people convicted with a felony after 2015, and lastly people with older convictions, including those no longer incarcerated.

“When we passed the Racial Justice Act, we did so with a promise to not leave behind those with past criminal convictions and sentences that were tainted by systemic racial bias, both explicit and implicit, in our courts,” said Assemblymember Ash Kalra, the bill’s sponsor. “There is still much work to be done, but now AB 256 will provide a valuable tool to meaningfully address the stark racial disparities in our sentencing history,”

Natasha Minsker, Policy Advisor for Smart Justice California, praised the enactment of the bill. “AB 256 reaffirms that racism requires redress. No one should be on death row, deported, or in prison because of racism in our courts,” she said.

In his end of session actions, Newsom also vetoed 47 bills, including AB 2632, which would have limited the use of solitary confinement in California’s prisons. In his veto message, the governor noted “the deep need to reform California’s use of segregated confinement” but said the reform measure passed by the legislature went too far. “I am directing the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) to develop regulations that would restrict the use of segregated confinement except in limited situations, such as where the individual has been found to have engaged in violence in the prison,” Newsom said.

AB 2657 requires courts to vacate the death sentences of people who have become permanently incompetent to be executed. It classifies a person as “incompetent to be executed” if, “due to mental illness or disorder, an incarcerated person is unable to rationally understand either the punishment the incarcerated person is about to suffer or why the incarcerated person is to suffer it.” To qualify as permanently mentally incompetent, the death-sentenced prisoner must be both “presently incompetent to be executed” and “The nature of the mental illness or disorder giving rise to incompetence is such that the incarcerated person’s competence to be executed is unlikely to ever be restored.”

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/news/ca...y-on-death-row

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

CDCR Submits Regulations for the Transfer of Condemned Inmates from Death Row Housing Units

The proposed regulations will make the Condemned Inmate Transfer Program permanent and mandatory in compliance with the voter-approved Proposition 66

SACRAMENTO – The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) this week filed proposed regulations to the Office of Administrative Law to make the Condemned Inmate Transfer Program (CITP) permanent.

CDCR implemented a two-year pilot program from Jan. 29, 2020, through Jan. 29, 2022 pursuant to Proposition 66, to test and evaluate the effectiveness of the program. In November 2016, California voters passed Proposition 66, which amended California’s Penal Code to require death-sentenced people to work so they can pay restitution to their victims. Proposition 66 also increased the restitution deduction for people sentenced to death from 50 to 70 percent. Under the pilot program, 101 death-sentenced people previously housed at San Quentin State Prison (SQ) were transferred to designated institutions and 10 death-sentenced people at Central California Women’s Facility (CCWF) were transferred to alternate housing units at the prison.

In addition to making the CITP permanent, the proposed regulations will make transfers of condemned inmates mandatory. Transfers of death-sentenced individuals to other prisons allows CDCR to phase out the practice of segregating people on death row based solely on their sentence. This is consistent with CDCR’s move toward a behavior-based system where incarcerated people are housed according to their individual case factors, behavior and other needs. No one will be re-sentenced as a result of these housing moves, and everyone will be housed according to their individual case factors in appropriate custody-level prisons.

CDCR’s submission of these proposed regulations are part of the rulemaking process pursuant to the state’s Administrative Procedure Act (APA). The process is designed to provide the public with a meaningful opportunity to participate in the adoption of state regulations and mandates a minimum 45-day initial public comment period which will be held from January 20, 2023, through March 8, 2023. CDCR has scheduled a public hearing on March 8, 2023.

Members of the public can submit written comments by mail to CDCR, Regulation and Policy Management Branch, P.O. Box 942883, Sacramento, CA 94283-0001 or by e-mail to RPMB@cdcr.ca.gov.

As of Jan. 11, there are 671 (650 males, 21 females) people sentenced to death. Information about capital punishment can be found here: https://www.cdcr.ca.gov/capital-punishment/.

https://www.cdcr.ca.gov/news/2023/01...housing-units/

Not even going to post it but after closing death row Newsom wants to turn San Quentin into one of those Norwegian prisons.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/...son-california

You know the ones with “cells” like this:

Poll Shows Gov. Newsom’s Death Penalty Policy Is Unpopular With Voters

By KABC-FM News

As Gavin Newsom revs up a possible Presidential bid, California voters reject the Governor’s moratorium on the death penalty, which he imposed in March of 2019.

Fear of rising crime is a reason for the opposition to Newsom’s moratorium and the strong majority in favor of the death penalty law. Other findings of the poll include that 61.4% of registered voters feel “less safe” than they did just two years ago.

As crime continues to rise and Californians feel less safe, voters in California have demonstrated a remarkable change in attitude on Governor Newsom’s Death Penalty Moratorium, with 40% now disagreeing with Newsom’s executive order and just 34% supporting it, according to a just released new poll. This comports with late-2022 Gallup polling showing Americans nationally, remain steady in their support for the death penalty which could become a factor in a Newsom presidential run.

Read the entire poll and judge for yourself HERE.

https://www.kabc.com/2023/08/21/poll...r-with-voters/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445

Thread Information