Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Clarence Wayne Dixon - Arizona Execution - May 11, 2022

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    I think they had to do that with Brandon Astor Jones too. It’s not that uncommon if vein access is uneasy, but I guess the mental image of an IV needle near someone’s crotch is pretty offputting.
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

I’m just glad they don’t use catheters in lethal injections anymore, as far as I know
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member Member
    now that would be a deterent! a needle to the groin! yikes!!!!!

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsicles View Post
    I’m just glad they don’t use catheters in lethal injections anymore, as far as I know
    I had no idea that was ever a thing.

They've done it with a couple of the older guys. Brandon Astor Jones and Georgia and Doyle Hamm of Alabama I can think of off the top of my head.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member Member
    A needle to the groin area isn't bad. They anesthetize the area first. I've had them for angiograms. They anesthetize and then the needle insertion doesn't hurt at all.

Leslie Bowdoin James, sister of Deana Lynne Bowdoin talks to the media on Wednesday, May 11, 2022, in Florence, Ariz.

Victim's sister pours out grief after Clarence Dixon's death

By Bob Christie
    Associated Press

PHOENIX (AP) — Shortly after the man who killed her sister 44 years ago was executed, Leslie James stepped up to a podium at the Arizona state prison complex in Florence and tearfully told the world all that Clarence Dixon had taken.

James, Deana Bowdoin’s older sister and lone sibling, spoke about the young woman who was poised to leave college for what was certain to be a bright future.

Dixon took that away, raping and strangling 21-year-old Deana Bowdoin on Jan. 7, 1978, in her apartment near Arizona State University's main campus in the Phoenix suburb of Tempe. She was a semester away from graduating.

Dixon died Wednesday in Arizona's first execution in nearly eight years and the nation's sixth this year. At 66 and nearly blind, he had been in prison most of his adult life — first sentenced to life for a 1985 rape of a Northern Arizona University student and then sentenced to death when DNA evidence reexamined by cold case detectives in 2001 inextricably linked him to Bowdoin's rape and murder. He was convicted in 2008.

James noted it took jurors just 17 minutes to return the verdict.

It took “way, way, way too long” for justice to be done in the case, James said. But mainly she focused on her sister, whom she called kind and hardworking.

“She wrote amazing poetry,” James said. “Older people and dogs really seemed to take a liking to her and I think that has to say something about her character.”

As a little girl, Bowdoin had an illness that caused her to miss much of a school year. But James said she worked hard to catch up with help from their schoolteacher mother.

By college, she had blossomed into a bright, outgoing young woman. Bowdoin was multi-lingual, and studied abroad in Mexico and Spain. The summer before she was killed, the two sisters spent three months traveling by train across Europe, and she said Deana made friends all along the way.

James, two years older than Deana, said her sister was more personable and friendly than her, “the one who was supposed to have an exciting career, get married and produce grandkids for my mom. But it didn’t work out that way.

“We should have been able to grow old together,” she continued, dabbing her eyes with a tissue.

Dixon's lawyers argued he was too delusional to understand why he was being put to death. They said he been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia on multiple occasions, experienced hallucinations over the past 30 years and should not be executed. Courts repeatedly rejected the appeals.

As the lethal drugs flowed, he again denied killing Bowdoin and blamed the Arizona Supreme Court for not overturning his conviction.

James said that testing of DNA done at the request of Bowdoin's attorneys proved otherwise.

“There was never any doubt that this inmate murdered my sister.”

James also criticized reporters, saying she had seen a shift in recent years away from compassion and acknowledgement of victims' rights to advocacy for violent offenders and what she called political posturing.

But she mainly wanted people to remember her sister.

"I wish you could have known her,” James told the reporters. “I have just one request of you. All my mom every wanted was for people to remember Deana. Please remember Deana Lynne Bowdoin.”

https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/...e-17169939.php
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information