Thread: Michael Peter Gallardo - Arizona Death Row

Michael Peter Gallardo - Arizona Death Row

Summary of Offense:

On December 9, 2005, Gallardo broke into a Phoenix home and shot 20-year-old Rudy Padilla to death.

Gallardo was sentenced to death on June 30, 2009.

July 1, 2009

Mike Peter Gallardo was sentenced to death Tuesday by a Maricopa County Superior Court jury for the 2005 murder of a 20-year-old college student.

Gallardo, 52, was found guilty June 10 on charges that included 1st degree murder, burglary and kidnapping in the death of Rudy Padilla, who was killed in his home in Phoenix.

Gallardo had 16 prior felony convictions and had served 20 years in prison for armed robbery and burglary. He was working for Cox Cable in 2005 when he cased the home of Rodolfo and Sandra Padilla in West Phoenix, according to court testimony.

Just after noon on Dec. 9, 2005, Gallardo used his cell phone to call the Padilla home and see if anyone was home. The Padillas were not, but their son, Rudy, was there on a day off from college. But he did not answer the call.

Gallardo arrived between 12:30 p.m. and 12:40 p.m., and thinking no one was home, he used a lawn chair to break in a glass door in back and cut his hand, leaving a trace of blood.

Rudy Padilla, still in his pajamas, confronted Gallardo and was overpowered. Prosecutors said that Gallardo bound Padilla's hands and feet with electrical cords and then put a pillowcase over Padilla's head and tied it with another cord.

Then Gallardo made Padilla kneel on the floor and shot him in the back of the head with a gun he found in the house, according to court testimony.

Later that day, Padilla's father returned to the home and found his son shot to death.

Gallardo's phone was tracked through caller ID that Cox had recently had installed in the Padilla house, according to court testimony. Gallardo was not the installer. In addition, investigators found a cigarette butt with Gallardo's DNA at the scene.

Phoenix Police arrested Gallardo a year after the crime. Gallardo was identified as an investigative lead and questioned during the investigation, but police didn't have enough evidence to make an arrest.

(Source: The Arizona Republic)

State affirms death sentence on direct appeal.

STATE v. GALLARDO

In today's United States Supreme Court orders, Gallardo's petition for a writ of certiorari and motion for leave to proceed in forma pauperis was DENIED.

Valley couple settles wrongful death lawsuit

PHOENIX -- A former subcontractor for Cox Communications is now on death row for killing a Valley couple's only son. The family just settled a wrongful death lawsuit and is now talking exclusively to 3TV.

“I used to tell him he was an old soul in a young man's body because his outlook in life was so amazing,” Sandy Padilla said.

An amazing kid who blessed Sandy and Rudy Padilla Sr. for 20 years. Rudy Jr. was their only child.

“He had goals,” Padilla said. “I used to say he was an honor roll student since preschool because he always strived for the best.”

National Honor Society to getting a full-ride scholarship to the University of Arizona, but Rudy left after one year because he wanted to be closer to home. He headed to Collins College to study media arts and movie production.

“As they say, you have kids and you teach them, and he taught us,” Padilla said. “He used to tell me that I needed to be more like him. He said, 'You know, Mom, if I die tomorrow,' he says, 'I would leave with no regrets.’”

But on Dec. 9, 2005, the Padillas' lives would be turned upside down forever. Their 20-year-old son who had stayed home that morning to catch up on some sleep was murdered.

“I said, 'OK, love you, call me when you wake up,' and the next call I got was from my husband that I needed to come home,” Padilla said. “I said where is he and he said he's gone. And I said where did they take him and he just started crying and said he's dead.”

Michael Gallardo now sits on death row. According to court testimony, Gallardo broke into the home. Rudy Jr. confronted him but was overpowered. Gallardo then tied his hands and feet with electrical cords, put a pillowcase over his face, forced him to his knees and shot him in the back of his head.

In a deposition last year, Gallardo contends Rudy Jr. approached him a few days prior with questions about his Internet. After all, Gallardo was wearing a T-shirt that identified him as a subcontractor working for Cox.

“If they come into your home, you hope they're coming to service your home, not to come scope it out, so they can come help themselves later or, in our case, murdering our son,” Padilla said.

“I can see ex-cons getting a second chance, but not with the record this guy had,” Rudy Sr. said.

With a wrongful death lawsuit complete, the Padillas aren't finished fighting for their son.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Valley-...134273708.html

Every day we thank Juan Martinez

Sandy and Rudy Padilla’s son was brutally murdered. Prosecutor Juan Martinez won that case convicting their son’s killer and putting him on death row. Sandy and Rudy Padilla describe what it was like to go through the trial. They also tell Jane Velez-Mitchell about their feelings for Juan Martinez and they weigh in on the Jodi Arias case.

Link to video interview

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/05/1...-juan-martinez
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

On May 17, 2018, Gallardo filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ar...v01500/1099006
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    In today's United States Supreme Court orders, Gallardo's petition for a writ of certiorari was DENIED.

Lower Ct: Superior Court of Arizona, Maricopa County
    Case Numbers: (CR2006-175408-001 DT)
    Decision Date: April 5, 2016
    Discretionary Court Decision Date: May 8, 2018

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...18zor_19m2.pdf
    Last edited by Mastro Titta; 11-13-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Thread Information