Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dale Shawn Hausner - Arizona

Dale Shawn Hausner - Arizona

Dale Shawn Hausner

Summary of Offense:

The main suspect in the Phoenix Serial Shooter attacks was sentenced to death for six murders that put the city on edge for nearly two years. Dale Hausner was convicted of killing six people and attacking 19 others in random nighttime shootings in 2005 and 2006.
    Prosecutors said Hausner preyed on pedestrians, bicyclists, dogs and horses during a 14-month conspiracy that occasionally included his brother and his former roommate, Sam Dieteman.

Dieteman pleaded guilty to two of the killings and is awaiting sentencing. He testified against Hausner, saying he and his roommate cruised around late at night looking for strangers to shoot. He could also face the death penalty.

March 27, 2009

PHOENIX -- A convicted serial shooter told a jury in Phoenix he should be given the death penalty. On Friday afternoon, the jury followed Dale Hausner's suggestion and sentenced him to six death terms, local television station KPHO reported.

Hausner made the statement while on the stand during the sentencing phase of his trial on Thursday.

"Without blaming anyone, especially my own family, I am here and am willing to take whatever punishment you give me, and I firmly believe to help the victims heal, that should be the death penalty," he said.

During his 30 minutes on the stand, Hausner never admitted guilt in any of the shootings. He also said he disagreed with the jury's verdicts. He was convicted of six shootings.

Hausner spent several minutes on the stand making apologies to the victims, their families, and his own relatives.

"I want to take this opportunity to say I'm sorry to my family. They deserve better than this," he said.

"I've created a huge black cloud for my family name for eternity. Like Charles Manson. Well, 150 years from now, you think of Hausner, it's going to be the same way," he said to jurors.

Hausner waived his right to allow others to testify on his behalf.

Earlier Thursday, jurors heard emotional testimony from survivors of some of the six people Hausner was convicted of killing. One juror cried during the testimony.

"From that moment, I felt like my world had come to a halt," Adriana Cruz said of the moment she learned her younger sister, 21-year-old Claudia Gutierrez Cruz, had died after she was shot coming home from her restaurant job.

Rebecca Estrada, whose 20-year-old son David Estrada was shot to death in Tolleson, Ariz., in June 2005, described her heartache to jurors and said her son was a beautiful young man whose life was cut short suddenly. "I can't tell you the devastation and the emptiness that we all feel about David," Estrada said.

Nearly two weeks ago, Hausner was convicted of killing six people and attacking 19 others in random nighttime shootings that terrorized metro Phoenix in 2005 and 2006.

Prosecutors said Hausner preyed on pedestrians, bicyclists, dogs and horses in the attacks. When police raided Hausner's apartment in Mesa, they found guns, news clippings of the killings and a map marked with the locations of some of the shootings. Investigators said Hausner attacked people from his car in a conspiracy that occasionally included his brother, Jeff Hausner, and his former roommate, Samuel Dieteman.

Dieteman, the star prosecution witness, is awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to two of the killings. Dieteman could face the death penalty.

Hausner is scheduled to be sentenced Monday on 74 other convictions.

http://www.wgal.com/news/19029876/detail.html

March 30, 2009

On top of death penalty, Hausner gets life sentences

Dale Hausner has already been sentenced to death 6 times for his role in the Serial Shooter crimes that wracked the Valley in 2005 and 2006.

On Monday, a Maricopa County Superior court judge dropped the other shoe on him, and sentenced him to 2 life sentences and more than 900 years in prison.

"I'm willing to accept the maximum punishment," Hausner told Judge Roland Steinle. "Let me have it."

Steinle let him have it.

Under Arizona law, juries and not judges impose death sentences. The jury sentenced Hausner to six of them on Friday. But judges impose sentence on non-capital crimes, and Hausner was back in court Monday, this time in jail stripes and shackles, to be sentenced for the 74 other crimes for which he was found guilty. These included attempted 1st-degree murder, aggravated assault, drive-by shooting, arson and cruelty to animals.

Many of the sentences run consecutively, and others run concurrently, that is, at the same time. In a calculation worthy of TurboTax software, prosecutor Laura Reckart determined that if it were humanly possible, Hausner would not be eligible for parole for more than 360 years.

Under Arizona and U.S. law, the death sentences will be automatically appealed to the Arizona and U.S. Supreme Courts, a process that typically takes 2 to 4 years. After that Hausner can continue to appeal if he chooses.

Several of Hausner's surviving victims attended Monday's hearing.

Daryl Davies, who was cut down by a shotgun blast while walking along West Camelback Road on May 31, 2006, theorized that he could forgive and forget if he could get on with his life.

"But I haven't gotten on with my life," he told Steinle. "My body is riddled with shotgun pellets."

He told Steinle to impose as harsh a sentence as he saw fit.

Deborah Swier, whose horse was shot on her Tolleson property, described her ongoing fear and claimed that after she testified against Hausner, she had nightmares for 2 weeks.

And Paul Patrick, who was shot June 8, 2006 and permanently disabled, asked a Phoenix Police detective to tell the court that "I don't even recognize my life."

Patrick attended most of the 7-month-long trial, until he was hospitalized for a stroke that may be related to his shooting injuries.

3 of the jurors attended Monday's sentencing. And though they refused to give their names, they were overheard telling Hausner's mother Rosemary that they sympathized with her. One even gave her a hug after the sentencing was over.

In a prepared statement, Hausner's older brother Randy wrote, "The Hausner family does not justify or condone these horrible crimes that were committed against innocent people. The jury has decided and we accept their decision."

(Source: The Arizona Republic)

Oral arguments before the Arizona Supreme Court scheduled for Tuesday May 08, 2012
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Arizona court hears ‘Serial Shooter’ death-penalty appeal

The Arizona Supreme Court heard arguments Tuesday in the appeal of convicted “Serial Shooter” Dale Hausner, who was sentenced to death six times in March 2009.

It was a mandatory argument for a mandatory appeal: All death sentences are automatically appealed to the Arizona Supreme Court. Rarely are they overturned. From that point on, though appeals can delay executions by 20 years or more, they are voluntary.

Hausner, 38, was the mastermind of a 14-month shooting spree in 2005 and 2006 that killed eight men and women, wounded 18, and killed at least nine horses and dogs.

Since the day before he was sentenced, Hausner has said that he wants to die. As recently as last December, he wrote a letter to the state Supreme Court justices asking them not to let his appeals attorney, Thomas Dennis, file any more motions on his behalf, threatening to file a complaint with the state Bar.

Dennis was in court Tuesday, and he had raised 17 distinct issues for the justices to consider. They were interested in three: whether the jury had erred in finding certain aggravating factors in the murders; whether prospective jurors had been improperly excluded; and whether police and prosecutors had stepped out of bounds when they wiretapped Hausner’s phone, car and apartment.

When he was arrested in August 2006, Hausner was living with one of his accomplices, Samuel Dieteman, who confessed to two of the murders and then turned state’s evidence against Hausner. Dieteman also implicated Hausner’s older brother Jeff, whom police and prosecutors could not tie conclusively to any of the murders but who was convicted of two stabbings committed during the Serial Shooter spree. Dieteman got life in prison.

Dale Hausner was initially charged with 87 felonies. He was convicted of 80, including six of the eight murders.

Before sentencing, Hausner elected to speak to the jury, telling members: “We’re done. This is the last you’ll ever see me or hear me before you send me to death row.”

Although he never confessed to any of the crimes, he told the jury that he wanted to die, that as far as he was concerned he had already died in 1994, when his two sons were killed in a freak car accident.

“I’m willing to accept the punishment,” he said. “And I firmly believe, to help the victims heal, that it should be the death penalty.”

During the mandatory appeal, the justices do not reassess guilt or innocence. The defendant does not appear before them. Rather, they read transcripts and briefs and hold a hearing so that they can question the attorneys on both sides as to whether there had been any errors of law during the trial.

Hausner’s appointed attorney, Dennis, raised issues about whether the murders had been carried out in a “cold” manner, considering the state’s theory that Hausner was killing for thrills. He questioned if two prospective jurors had been kept off the panel because they expressed opinions against the death penalty. And he particularly wanted to ask about a police task force’s decision to do an emergency wiretap instead of going through a longer process of obtaining a warrant.

At the time, police had watched Hausner and Dieteman stalking victims and were afraid that they would not be able to intercede in time to stop another killing. Then-Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas and a presiding criminal judge approved the emergency wiretaps.

What police overheard was damning: Dieteman and Hausner bragging about the killings and even laughing at the suffering they had inflicted on some victims. After several days of pretrial hearings, Superior Court Judge Roland Steinle allowed the wiretaps to be used as evidence.

The Supreme Court justices will issue their opinion on the death sentences in 60 to 90 days. If his convictions and sentences are upheld, Hausner has so far indicated that he will not appeal them further. If he asks the state to carry out the death sentence, a court likely will order him to undergo examination to make sure he is competent to make that decision.

If Hausner’s convictions and sentences are upheld and he wants to appeal further, the next stop would be the U.S. Supreme Court. If the convictions and sentences are upheld there as well, the case would return to Superior Court.

There, in a process known as “post-conviction relief,” Hausner could raise issues about whether his attorney had effectively defended him, or whether the jury or prosecution or police investigators had committed any improprieties. From that point on, the case could bounce back and forth between state and federal courts until all options were exhausted or the defendant obtained relief.

So far, Hausner has indicated that that will not happen.

If he asks the state to carry out the death sentence, a court likely will order him to undergo examination to make sure he is sane enough to make that decision.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-new...enalty-appeal/

Serial shooter death sentences upheld

The Arizona Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld the death sentences of a man convicted of six murders and numerous other crimes in the so-called Serial Shooter case, a series of random nighttime shootings that put many Phoenix-area residents on edge for months.

Dale Shawn Hausner was convicted in 2009 of murdering six people and wounding 18 others in nighttime shootings that randomly targeted pedestrians, bicyclists and animals in 2005 and 2006.

The Supreme Court upheld all of his 80 convictions except one count of animal cruelty. The court said there wasn't enough evidence to support a conviction for the shooting of a horse.

Co-defendant Samuel Dieteman testified against Hausner and was sentenced to life in prison.

In its unanimous ruling on Hausner's appeal, the justices for the first time approved the use of Arizona's death-penalty sentencing factor for killings conducted in a "cold, calculated manner without pretense of moral or legal justification."

Sentencing factors are considered by Arizona juries when deciding whether to impose a death sentence or life in prison.

Hausner's appeals lawyer argued that the factor added to Arizona's sentencing law in 2005 was unconstitutionally vague.

The justices agreed that the factor is vague but said the trial judge's instructions made it clear that it only applies to cases with additional reflection and planning.

In reviewing numerous other appeals issues, the court said police legally obtained emergency authorization for warrantless electronic monitoring of Hauser and Dieteman.

The monitoring allowed police to overhear statements in which Hausner and Dieteman implicated themselves, boasted or joked about certain killings and mocked victims.

Hausner didn't admit guilt but told the jury before sentencing that he should be sentenced to death. "I'm willing to take whatever punishment you guys give me, and I firmly believe, to help the victims heal, that should be the death penalty," he said.

The appeal to the state Supreme Court was automatic, but it's not known if Hausner will permit further appeals on his behalf.

His attorney in the Supreme Court appeal, Thomas J. Dennis, did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/serial-shoo...tences-upheld/

Convicted killer asks Ariz. court to set execution

A man convicted in a series of murders that put many Phoenix-area residents on edge is asking Arizona's highest court to set his execution date.

The Arizona Supreme Court recently upheld Dale Shawn Hausner's convictions in the murders of six people. Eighteen others were injured in nighttime shootings that randomly targeted pedestrians, bicyclists and animals in 2005 and 2006.

The Arizona Republic reports (http://bit.ly/Pe00Ys) that Hausner recently sent a letter to the court saying he will waive further appeals. He also asks that a warrant be issued for his death as soon as possible.

Hausner didn't admit guilt before he received six death sentences in the case. But he said death should be his penalty to help the victims heal.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501363_1...set-execution/

Hausner asks court to schedule his execution

Dale Hausner, who terrorized the Phoenix area as one of the Serial Shooters in 2005 and 2006, has asked the Arizona Supreme Court to set a date for his execution.

Hausner, 39, was sentenced to death six times in 2009, but it took until July 10 of this year for the state's high court to affirm the death sentences in his automatic appeal.

That appeal was mandatory; all others are voluntary. The next logical step would have been to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court, and after that, to Maricopa County Superior Court for what is known as post-conviction relief. From there, the appeals process can stall execution for 20 years or more.

But a letter from Hausner received Monday by the Arizona Supreme Court says that Hausner intends to make good on his promise to waive further appeals.

Hausner wrote in the letter that he was going against the advice of his lawyers, and he was choosing to end the appeals process.

"I understand that by not pursuing PCR, this will speed up my execution," he wrote. "I am fine with that. I have already had two psych evaluations (before and during my trial) and both separate doctors found me to be of sound mind and fully capable of making decisions for myself."

"Please issue a Death Warrant (Execution Warrant) for me as soon as possible," he wrote.

From June 2005 to August 2006, Hausner crisscrossed the Valley in his car while shooting from the car windows, first with his brother Jeff and later with their friend Samuel Dieteman. They are believed to have killed eight people -- although Dale Hausner was found guilty of only six murders -- as well as wounding 18 and killing several animals. Dieteman was sentenced to life for two of the murders. Jeff Hausner was never charged in any of the murders, but is serving sentences for two stabbings during the crime.

Link to Letter
    http://www.azcentral.com/ic/pdf/0717hausner.pdf

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz20upcaWZU
    Last edited by Moh; 10-18-2015 at 05:23 AM.

Hausner is the second inmate today asking for an execution date. I posted earlier, Alabama death row inmate Andrew Lackey is requesting an execution date.

Hopefully the AZ Supreme Court will grant his wish very soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information