Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Murray Hooper - Arizona Execution - November 16, 2022

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    On August 26th, 2022, Arizona Attorney General's office filed its motion with the State's Supreme Court to obtain an execution date for Murray Hooper. The death warrant for Hooper will be signed on October 12th, 2022, likely scheduling the execution for 35 days later.

https://www.azag.gov/press-release/a...-murray-hooper

No problem.

Looks like the date will be Wednesday, November 16.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Yeah, I guess so. The same day as Stephen Barbee in Texas.

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Arizona Supreme Court to decide on attorney general’s request to execute Murray Hooper

By Jimmy Jenkins
    The Arizona Republic

The Arizona Supreme Court is set to meet Wednesday to decide whether the state can move forward with its third execution of the year.

Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich filed a motion for a warrant of execution Aug. 26 for Murray Hooper.

In the motion, the state said, “Hooper’s convictions and sentences have been affirmed, and his first post-conviction proceeding and federal habeas appeals have concluded.”

If the state’s top court grants the motion, the execution would likely be set for 35 days later.

Hooper, 76, would mark the state's third execution since the botched execution of Joseph Wood in 2014.

Clarence Dixon, 66, was executed May 11 and Frank Atwood, also 66, was executed June 8.

Hooper was among three men convicted for the 1980 murders of Patrick Redmond and his mother-in-law, Helen Phelps, as they were preparing for a New Year's Eve party in Phoenix.

The state alleged Hooper was one of several men hired by a Chicago crime organization to fly to Phoenix and murder Redmond to gain control of his printing business. Hooper claimed he was framed for the Redmond and Phelps murders after refusing to kill south Phoenix drug dealers on orders from the same Chicago mob.

Redmond's wife was also shot and left for dead. But she survived and identified Hooper, William Bracy and Edward McCall, a former Phoenix police officer, as the killers. Bracy and McCall died in prison before their sentences could be carried out.

In 1983, the Maricopa County Attorney's Office called the murders "one of the most ruthless and heinous crimes committed in the history of Arizona."

The county attorney cited several aggravating circumstances, including "mental torture and anguish" inflicted on the victims as reasons for seeking the death penalty.

Attorneys for Hooper are asking the state Supreme Court to deny the motion for a warrant of execution, saying they were recently appointed and need more time to learn Hooper’s “voluminous file ... comprising nearly 100 banker's boxes.”

“For 40 years, Mr. Hooper has maintained that he was wrongfully convicted and sentenced to death based on corrupt police practices and unreliable witness testimony,” said Assistant Federal Public Defender Kelly Culshaw.

She cited several examples from Hooper’s case of co-conspirators who received immunity and extensive benefits, “including money, and illegal perks such as sex and drugs,” in exchange for their testimony against Hooper.

Culshaw said no physical evidence links Hooper to the crime, and forthcoming information could prove his innocence.

“Multiple fingerprints were collected from the crime scene, which were not linked to Hooper, Bracy, or his other purported co-defendant, Edward McCall,” Culshaw wrote in the response to the motion for the execution warrant. “Significant technological advances in fingerprint identification have occurred since 1982. These advanced forensic testing methods may identify the actual perpetrators and exclude Hooper.”

Culshaw said a knife from the scene of the murders was collected but never tested for DNA.

“The Arizona Supreme Court should deny the State’s request to set an execution date for Mr. Hooper until an analysis of key fingerprint and DNA evidence, which was scientifically unavailable at the time of his trial, has been completed and his new legal team has adequate time to review the evidence in support of his steadfast claim of innocence,” Culshaw said.

There are 111 people on Arizona's death row, 22 of whom have exhausted their appeals, according to the Arizona Attorney General's Office.

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/news/...r/10467386002/

Execution date set for November 16, 2022.

https://twitter.com/jimmyjenkins/sta...C93CM_nosphcdw

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Arizona death row inmate's execution remains on track after judge rejects testing bid

AZ prisoner was convicted of killing 2 people in 1980

By Associated Press

An execution planned next month for an Arizona prisoner remains on track after a judge rejected the condemned man’s request to have fingerprint and DNA tests conducted on evidence from the two 1980 killings for which he’s scheduled to be put to death.

Lawyers for Murray Hooper said their client is innocent, that no physical evidence ties him to the killings and that testing could lead to the identification of those responsible. They say Hooper, scheduled to be executed on Nov. 16 in the killings of William "Pat"

Redmond and his mother-in-law, Helen Phelps, was convicted in an era before computerized fingerprint systems and DNA testing were available in criminal cases.

In a decision released Monday, Superior Court Judge Jennifer Green said the evidence implicating Hooper was overwhelming and that it wasn’t reasonably probable that Hooper would have escaped prosecution if such testing had been done and had led to favorable results for him.

The judge noted the testimony of four witnesses against Hooper, including Redmond’s wife, Marilyn, who authorities said was shot in the head when Hooper and two other men forced their way into the Redmond home on Dec. 31, 1980.

Green said Marilyn Redmond, who survived the attack, was the only witness to see the intruders in the home and "was in very close proximity to defendant when he committed violent acts."

Hooper’s legal team said it will appeal the ruling. "His execution should not be carried out until this testing has been completed," one of his attorneys, Kelly Culshaw, said in a statement.

Prosecutors had argued that even if someone else’s prints or DNA were found, that wouldn’t overcome the overwhelming evidence against Hooper.

Lawyers for Hooper say Marilyn Redmond’s description of the assailants changed several times before she identified their client, who claimed not to be in Arizona at the time.

Two other men, William Bracy and Edward McCall, were convicted in the killings but died before their death sentences could be carried out.

Authorities say Robert Cruz, who was alleged to have had ties to organized crime, hired Hooper, Bracy and McCall to kill Pat Redmond, who co-owned a printing business. They said Cruz wanted to take over the business and was unhappy that Redmond had rejected his offers to enter several printing contracts with Las Vegas hotels, according to court records. In 1995, Cruz was acquitted of murder charges in both deaths.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/arizona-d...ts-testing-bid
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Hooper has picked lethal injection.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...65dca12dfd885a
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Hope there are no vein problems.

That was my concern as soon as they targeted him. They struggled with Dixon and Atwood, and Hooper is ten years older than they were...
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Lawyers for Murray Hooper file new appeal as execution date nears

PHOENIX (AP) - Lawyers for an Arizona death row inmate scheduled to be executed on Nov. 16 have filed a new appeal

Murray Hooper's attorneys filed another petition for post-conviction relief Monday in Maricopa County Superior Court, saying "newly discovered material facts" have been discovered in the case and the 76-year-old inmate should be entitled to a new trial.

Hooper’s defense team also filed a petition in September requesting post-conviction DNA and other forensic testing.

They said Hooper was convicted and sentenced on unreliable witness testimony, no physical evidence links him to the crime and an analysis of key fingerprint and DNA evidence was scientifically unavailable at the time of his trial.

Hooper and two co-defendants were sentenced to death in 1982 for the murders of William "Pat" Redmond and his mother-in-law, Helen Phelps, during a home robbery in Phoenix on New Year’s Eve 1980.

Redmond’s wife, Marilyn, was shot in the head but recovered.

Lawyers for Hooper said Marilyn Redmond’s description of the assailants changed several times before she identified Hooper, who has maintained his innocence in the double slayings.

"Because there is no physical or forensic evidence placing Mr. Hooper at the scene, or in Arizona, the unreliability of Mrs. Redmond’s identification calls his conviction into question and demands relief," Hooper’s attorneys said in the latest appeal.

The other two men convicted in the case died before their sentences could be carried out.

The Arizona Supreme Court ruled last month that the state can move forward with Hooper’s execution.

He would be the third inmate put to death this year after Arizona recently resumed carrying out executions.

There are 111 inmates on Arizona’s death row and 22 have exhausted their appeals, according to the Attorney General’s Office.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/la...ion-date-nears
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information