Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Danny Lee Jones - Arizona Death Row

Petition for writ of certiorari filed to SCOTUS by the State of Arizona.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/Search....%5C22-982.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

State of Arizona distributed for conference 10/27/23.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....ic/22-982.html

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

US Supreme Court agrees to hear Arizona case related to death penalty

By Jimmy Jenkins
    Arizona Republic

The U.S. Supreme Court has agreed to hear a challenge from the Arizona Attorney General's Office to a 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling that found ineffective legal representation may have contributed to a man's death sentence.

Danny Lee Jones was convicted and sentenced to death in 1993 for the killing of Robert Weaver and his 7-year-old daughter, Tisha.

Jones challenged the death sentence at the trial court, claiming ineffective assistance of counsel, but was denied.

The 9th Circuit reversed the trial court's ruling, finding that his trial attorney didn’t do enough to investigate and present information about Jones during sentencing that may have led the jury to impose a less severe sentence.

In its petition for review to the Supreme Court, the Attorney General's Office argued that the 9th Circuit did not appropriately apply legal precedent that established a defendant must show they received representation so deficient that it deprived them of a fair trial.

In his response to the state, Jones argued his attorney didn’t do enough preparation for the penalty phase of his prosecution, “resulting in a grossly inadequate mitigation case that failed to uncover extensive and powerful evidence of Jones’s mental health issues” and that the 9th Circuit was correct in granting relief.

Although Arizona is undergoing a review of its death penalty process, the Attorney General's Office had to proceed now with a petition to the Supreme Court because of a deadline to ask the high court for review, said Ellen Pierce, a spokesperson for Attorney General Kris Mayes.

Attorneys for Jones did not return a request for comment from The Arizona Republic.

The Supreme Court will likely hear oral arguments on the case in late March or early April.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...y/71913448007/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

SCOTUS is scheduled to hear arguments Jones’ case on April 17, 2024.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....ic/22-982.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information