Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manuel Ovante, Jr. - Arizona

Manuel Ovante, Jr. - Arizona

Facts of the Crime:

Manuel Ovante, Jr. was arrested a month after the June 11, 2008 shootings that left a man and woman dead and another man wounded. Phoenix police say no motive was ever established in the shootings Ovante was indicted on two counts of first-degree murder and one count of aggravated assault and pleaded guilty last December. A Maricopa County Superior Court jury gave Ovante the death penalty for the slaying of the Damien Vickers, 18. He received a life prison sentence for the murder of female victim Jordan Trujillo, 29.

Ovante was sentenced to death on February 24, 2010.

February 25, 2010

Man gets death penalty for 2 Phoenix slayings

A man has been sentenced to death for a triple shooting in Phoenix that killed two people.

Maricopa County prosecutors say 23-year-old Manuel Ovante Jr. was arrested a month after the June 11, 2008 shootings that left a man and woman dead and another man wounded. Phoenix police say no motive was ever established in the shootings

Ovante was indicted on two counts of first-degree murder and one count of aggravated assault and pleaded guilty last December.

A Maricopa County Superior Court jury on Wednesday gave Ovante the death penalty for the slaying of the 18-year-old male victim(Damien Vickers). He received a life prison sentence for the murder of the 29-year-old female victim(Jordan Trujillo)

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...s-phoenix.html

BACKGROUND ON THE CASE

Police have made an arrest in a Phoenix double murder from June where the body of one of the victim's was left partially naked in a central Phoenix alley.

Manuel Ovante, 21, now faces two charges of homicide and one charge of attempted homicide for the June 11 shooting deaths of Jordan Trujillo and Damien Vickers.

An 18-year-old was also shot several times, but survived.

Officers said they initially found two men shot in a home near 23rd Avenue and Camelback Road.

Trujillo was found dead from gunshot wounds and the other man was taken to a local hospital in critical condition.

Police told ABC15 they then got a call from someone who saw a man lying in an alley near 12th and Roosevelt streets.

When police arrived, they discovered a deceased Vickers with several gunshot wounds, according to an official.

He was found with his pants pulled down around his ankles.

Investigators later learned that Vickers died at another location and was driven to the alley north of 12th St and Roosevelt where he was left, according to a police report.

A woman who identified herself as the victim's aunt said Vickers was a young husband and father to a 6-month-old baby.

Family members said they don't know why anyone would want to kill Vickers.

http://www.abc15.com/news/local/stor...Gyt1JLACw.cspx

Direct appeal denied by the Arizona Supreme Court on January 11, 2013.

http://www.azcourts.gov/Portals/0/Op...10-0085-AP.pdf

In today's United States Supreme Court orders, Ovante's petition for writ of certiorari was DENIED.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Arizona
    Case Nos.: (CR-10-0085-AP)
    Decision Date: January 11, 2013
    Rehearing Denied: February 4, 2013
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

British woman marries double-murderer on death row in Arizona

By Bevan Hurley
    The Independent

Rebecca Short, 26, told her family she was visiting Disney World.

A British trainee dentist flew to the United States to marry a double murderer on death row.

Rebecca Short, 26, wed Manuel Ovante Jr, 35, in Arizona’s Eyman state prison after the pair became penpals.

Ovante was sentenced to death in 2010 for killing two a man and a woman in a botched drug robbery in 2008.

Ms Short, from Chipping Norton in Oxfordshire, reportedly told her family she was travelling to the US for a holiday, and posted photos at Disney World in Florida, and the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

She then stunned relatives by posting photos of her marriage to Ovante on 14 April at Eyman prison in Florence, Arizona, which is home to more than 4500 medium and high security prisoners.

Ms Short wore a black dress at the ceremony, while Ovante wore bright orange prison issue jump suit.

The Sun reported that she brought a wedding cake that had the message: “Till death do us part” written in icing.

In an online penpal profile, Ovante describes himself as a “goofball” who is “very loyal” to his friends.

Ovante said he was looking for someone with a “sense of humour” who “enjoys life”.

“I’m easy to get along with and tend to be a goofball sometimes,” the death row inmate wrote.

“Very loyal to people I care about. Nobody is perfect, so I hope not to be judged by past mistakes.

“I love to read and listen to music. I have a daughter named Bonnie.

“Not really sure what I’m looking for in a pen pal so, I guess you’ll have to surprise me.

“I guess someone to help make my time in here easier. Someone that has a sense of humour and enjoys life.”

Ovante was convicted of murdering Jordan Trujillo and Damien Vickers after going to Ms Trujillo’s home in Phoenix with three friends to look for metamphetamine in June 2008.

According to testimony heard in court, Ovante pulled out a gun and said “who left the safety on?” before opening fire, killing Ms Trujillo and wounding Mr Vickers and a third man Gabriel Valenzuela.

Mr Vickers pleaded for help for his injuries, and was taken to a truck where Ovante and the others had fled.

He asked to be dropped off at a hospital, but Ovante reportedly refused to help. Mr Vickers died in the truck, and his body was dumped in an alleyway.

At trial, Ovante pleaded guilty to the two murders and the aggravated assault of Mr Valenzuela. A jury ultimately sentenced him to death.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2064078.html
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

"How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

On November 28, 2022, Ovante filed a habeas petition in federal district court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ar...v02003/1317700
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Post-conviction relief denied by the Arizona Supreme Court on November 8, 2022.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...4_16100437.pdf

Distributed for conference 9/26/23.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/22-7229.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court GRANTED Ovante's petition for certiorari, and the case is remanded in light of Cruz v. Arizona.

Lower Ct: Superior Court of Arizona, Maricopa County
    Case Numbers: (CR2008-144114-001 DT)
    Decision Date: May 19, 2020
    Rehearing Denied: September 22, 2020
    Discretionary Court Decision Date: November 8, 2022

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...23zor_5368.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information